Author Topic: Might need a new AC unit..or two  (Read 2357 times)

Pex

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Might need a new AC unit..or two
« on: July 13, 2014, 04:54:11 PM »
Hi all;
We've got central air, live in Houston and it may well be time for new units.
Can one of you knowledgable folks give me advice on what units I should consider for our home?
Right now we have a 2.5T for upstairs and a 3.5T for down.  The upstairs has always had trouble staying cool since we bought the house.

1. What brands and features should I consider / demand?
2. Should I go with a bigger unit for the upstairs?  Does AC even work that way?

I've googled a bit but everyone seems to have a different opinion.  I guess I need an expert.

Thanks in advance!
Pex

guitar_stitch

• Bristles
Re: Might need a new AC unit..or two
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 09:36:06 AM »
Have your units failed?  If not, then you need to investigate other possibilities that would be cheaper and provide a stronger ROI.  Consider Insulation and your roof covering.

Emg03063

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 09:44:21 AM »
What kind of attic do you have?  Can you install a radiant barrier?

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 12:34:33 PM »
I used to live in the Houston area (Kingwood), and we also replaced our A/C while we lived there.  Here are a few thoughts and questions:

1) Is your upstairs smaller than your downstairs?  It seems like the upstairs should have the larger A/C unit, since it has the heat gain from the attic.
2) Our attic only had a few (maybe 6?) inches of fiberglass, and no radiant barrier.  Before replacing the A/C, take care of those things.  They're much, much cheaper than the A/C.  They'll also decrease the load on the A/C, extending its life and reducing your electric bills.
3) If you have single-paned windows, get solar screens or window film to reduce heat load.  We hung roll-down shades under the eaves on our southwest-facing wall.
4) Find out exactly what part of your A/C isn't working.  The two main parts (evaporator coil, compressor/condenser) can each go bad without affecting the other.  If there's a leak, make sure your HVAC company identifies where the leak is before you agree to replace anything.  As long as both parts are sized appropriately and take the same type of refrigerant, you DON'T have to replace both at the same time.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 01:29:01 PM »
Hard to answer the question without square footage. The size of the units, even with Houston heat, suggests a very big house.

Have they been recharged?