Author Topic: Metromile car insurance  (Read 3005 times)

zbird

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Metromile car insurance
« on: August 12, 2016, 02:33:58 PM »
Anyone ever try MetroMile car insurance?  They claim to charge less for car insurance for low-mileage drivers by charging a small fixed fee per month plus a per-mile charge.  It sounds very mustachian, with all the saving money and driving less, so I wonder if anyone on this forum has experience with it.  Is it cheaper, as advertised?  Is the service as good as a regular insurer?  Any downsides? 

jamesbond007

• Pencil Stache
  • One penny at a time.
Re: Metromile car insurance
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2016, 02:35:40 PM »
I asked a similar question here last week and no one responded. I went ahead an got a quote on their website. For me it didn't make any difference on cost savings. It came down to pretty much what I am paying for AAA right now. So didn't bother with it. YMMV.

traveler

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2016, 04:28:51 PM »
I have been with Metromile for 1.5 years now and only have good things to say.

Before Metromile, I was paying ~$100 per month with esurance. Now I do a ~$33 base pay plus 3.8 cents per mile. Since on a typical month I do less than 700 miles, I typically pay $70. On better months when I take the bus and bike more I easily pay $45.  This is for slightly better coverage than before: California minimums.

If you take a road trip, they cap your daily mileage billing to 150 miles. ( I'm my case that's $6  for a long trip). They have a GPS option and a website with metrics. I turned off the GPS option, but I can still see exactly how long my trips are ( they still log the miles to be able to bill me ).

They also cover me if I drive out of the USA. And have generally the same perks as any other insurance.

Customer service works quite well via email and phone for coverage questions. I have never had to do a claim though. They are really a startup and only do the technical part, and contract the actual coverage to a third company. So I assume reasonable service whenever I actually need to file.

They have a tool to calculate if they make sense to you on their website. I found it to be accurate.

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2016, 04:43:04 PM »
If anyone has switched to Metromile who previously had both home and auto insurance with the same company, I'm curious to know if the savings with the new auto carrier was worth the loss of the multi-policy discount.

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2016, 06:19:45 PM »
If anyone has switched to Metromile who previously had both home and auto insurance with the same company, I'm curious to know if the savings with the new auto carrier was worth the loss of the multi-policy discount.

I looked into it and it looked like basically a wash in our situtation. Perhaps a little bit cheaper overall, but not enough to be worth the hassle of paying two insurance companies where we now pay one.

Shropskr

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2016, 06:49:39 PM »
It's worth it but only if you don't drive a lot.   We've been with them for a year and it's worked well for us.  But we only drive 6000ish miles a year.  And that's including a month long road trip.