Author Topic: Metal type for men’s wedding band  (Read 9354 times)

epower

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Metal type for men’s wedding band
« on: January 01, 2018, 12:16:29 PM »
My soon to be wife and I are looking at wedding bands and want a bit of feedback on the alternative metals vs gold/silver debate.

The alternative ones are cheaper but cannot be resized I’ve researched, but do they last, are they any good for a lifetime purchase?

I’m all for getting quality as want it to last 50/60 years but is the extra cost for gold/silver worth it?

For me it’s more about significance so want the same one to last me a lifetime.

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Metal type for men’s wedding band
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 12:23:18 PM »
I bought a tungsten one on Amazon for $14.  I actually got a second one a half size too big, and they told me not to bother returning it for a refund.  So I even have an extra in case I pack on some pounds someday.

big_owl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 01:21:20 PM »
I have a tungsten carbide ring and it's invincible.  I lift weights daily and wear it during deadlifts, curls, shrugs, etc.   I'm talking the metal ring literally grinding against knurled barbells with heavy weight.  After ten years there's not a single scratch on it.  The thing looks brand new.  It only cost like $800 if I remember correctly.  I'd never buy gold or silver because the thing would be torn up in no time, or else I'd have to take the thing on and off daily and probably would have lost it ten times over by now.

Peachtea

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2018, 01:34:40 PM »
My husband bought a $20 tungsten ring on Amazon. A year later he lost weight and the ring became too big. It slipped off and he lost it. I bought the same exact ring on Amazon for another $20. Then he found the old one in the couch seat and now he has two in different sizes. Lesson being that while you can’t resize tungsten you can easily buy a replica. Since it’s so much cheaper than gold, you can buy several in different sizes for way less than a gold band. The rings themselves look great and are nearly indestructible; no scratches or etc no matter what he does while wearing it. We’d make the same decision again in a heartbeat.

FIRE_Buckeye

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2018, 01:53:16 PM »
I'll pile onto the Tungsten band-wagon.
Getting married this upcoming May, we looked at various box stores like Diamonds Direct (where I got my fiance's wedding ring & band). They wanted $500-1k+ for a silver or platinum band for me. We ended up going with a Tungsten band off Etsy for $20 shipped. Fits well, looks great, and can't beat the price!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 01:55:37 PM by FIRE_Buckeye »

Zola.

• Bristles
  • Let's do this.
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2018, 02:02:56 PM »
I went for a platinum one, I don't wear any jewellery usually... and since its such a special occasion, I didn't mind spending good money on it.

I wear it every day..

thingamabobs

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2018, 02:07:15 PM »
DH has the tungsten carbide and likes it. Def cheaper than the other metals and durable.

FYI: take off the ring if you’re doing any work with power tools. If you happen to get injured while wearing the ring, you’ll need a vice grip to break it.

Joel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2018, 02:36:35 PM »
I ditched my metal ring for a rubber Qalo ring. I no longer have to take the ring off when I am working around the house, biking, golfing, or playing another other type of sport. With long skinny fingers, the rubber ring fits way better (as the metal ring had to be big enough to fit over my knuckle which made it fit really loose past the knuckle).

Jenny Wren

• Pencil Stache
  • Just another dharma bum
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2018, 02:43:23 PM »
I ditched my metal ring for a rubber Qalo ring. I no longer have to take the ring off when I am working around the house, biking, golfing, or playing another other type of sport. With long skinny fingers, the rubber ring fits way better (as the metal ring had to be big enough to fit over my knuckle which made it fit really loose past the knuckle).

I have a silicon Teak, similar to the Qalo. I spend a lot of time outdoors, and decided to make the switch after a friend almost lost her finger to her wedding band after smashing her hand on hike. I've had mine for several years, love it.

tralfamadorian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2018, 03:08:50 PM »
I know people love their tungsten but just a word of warning- tungsten is extremely hard and cannot be cut by normal equipment that EMTs and hospitals have in case of emergencies. With the increase in popularity of these rings, some has started to keep the specialized equipment on hand but this is not universal.

Maybe I'm just a worrywart but I don't want to risk losing my finger over a bee sting. If the cost of a new 9K gold ring is more than you want to spend, then you can find an antique for less than $100.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 04:18:44 PM by tralfamadorian »

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2018, 03:29:55 PM »
Thin gold band, all day every day.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2018, 03:48:31 PM »
I went with a stainless steel band and have been happy with it for many years.  I just take it off when playing sports, doing construction, and cycling . . . so cutting it off has never really been a concern.

Lady SA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2018, 04:15:23 PM »
My DH looked into a tungsten ring, but he found the profile of those rings were too thick for his taste. Something about the metal means the ring has to be thicker and he wanted a lower profile/thinner ring. He liked the comfort profile of gold rings but had the same wear/tear concerns. He was also paranoid that a tungsten ring wouldn't be able to be cut off if need be.

We eventually settled on a Damascus Steel ring! Damascus is two types of steel melded together and then acid etched, so the softer steel takes on subtle, beautiful patterns. It was less than $200 and still looks new through some pretty hard wear. It's supremely comfortable (so my DH says, anyway!), stylish, light, and durable. It is much prettier than my wedding ring! :D
https://www.etsy.com/listing/100348242/damascus-steel-wedding-band-simple?ref=shop_home_feat_1

samsonator54321

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2018, 04:24:19 PM »
I went with cobalt. $160 bucks. I have no complaints.

MrUpwardlyMobile

• Pencil Stache
    • The Upwardly Mobile Life
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2018, 06:19:52 PM »
My soon to be wife and I are looking at wedding bands and want a bit of feedback on the alternative metals vs gold/silver debate.

The alternative ones are cheaper but cannot be resized I’ve researched, but do they last, are they any good for a lifetime purchase?

I’m all for getting quality as want it to last 50/60 years but is the extra cost for gold/silver worth it?

cobalt.  Your jeweler will probably give you one for free when you buy your wife’s ring.

JimLahey

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2018, 09:08:17 PM »
Tungsten is heavy, I went with titanium. It cost me around $250 from a local jeweler. That includes a warranty that the ring will be replaced if I ever need it resized. It's cheap enough that I'm not worried about losing or damaging it.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2018, 08:13:18 AM »
When DW's rings no longer fit, I bought her several Stainless rings in several sizes off eBay for about $4 apiece.  They look similar enough to white gold, they're durable, and they're super cheap.  And the ER doctors won't have as much trouble cutting them if needed.

Teachstache

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2018, 12:17:49 PM »
Spouse has really short size 14 fingers. When we got married in 2008, almost 9.5 years ago, he looked at a lot of different tungsten rings. He needed a 5.5 mm tungsten ring in size 14, which was difficult to find at the time. He found a unique faceted tungsten 5.5 mm band for $35 on Amazon at the time. He bought 3 of them, 2 in his current size, 1 in a size up, for $105. Almost a decade later of daily wear, it still looks brand new, and he still has the other 2 spares. He did consider injury issues, but said that the likelihood of that was almost non-existent, since he doesn't do involved manual labor, and he said that most emergency personnel have the proper tools to remove tungsten now.

tungsten

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2018, 12:34:19 PM »
Titanium, tungsten and tungsten carbides are cool because they don't scratch easily but as a former EMT, I'll personally avoid them.  In the event of an injury that causes swelling in the hands and/or fingers, tungsten rings can be extremely difficult to cut off with standard equipment (as others above have stated).  Basically instead of snips for softer metals, you need a diamond abrasive wheel on a rotary power tool like a Dremel.  Of my friends who do have them, most wear them on a necklace instead of on their fingers.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 12:35:51 PM by tungsten »

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2018, 12:52:01 PM »
Dh and I have wide gold bands, which have lasted 40 years just fine. I like that they are smoother than they were 40 years ago!

I think we paid around $100 each for them at the time - we hadn’t realized that you were supposed to order them in advance, so they were just from some big box kind of place. I had mine resized a few years ago, as my knuckles have gotten bigger and then I had poison ivy and really needed to take the ring off until it healed. They remarked at the jewelry store that it’s unusual to see such wide bands now and we certainly wouldn’t be able to replace them for $100 now. They definitely were a good investment!

I almost never take mine off, so it gets banged up all the time.

Mgmny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2018, 01:57:02 PM »
My wife and I wanted our rings to "match." Her ring is platinum, but platinum mens bands are super expensive, so i went with the alternative of palladium. Looks the same, but less pricey.

Gronnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2018, 02:09:35 PM »

Chadbert

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2018, 02:21:11 PM »
Mine was a sterling silver claddagh style ring.  It was only $85.  The metal was soft and it was getting beat up, mainly because I attached it to my key ring when I was at work.  I lost it when it fell off my finger after I lost weight.  I have ordered a 4 pack of silicone rings to try out as a replacement.  I will never get the hard metal rings as I have seen the damage a ring can do to a finger, my former boss has his picture forever imortalized as an Air Force training aid.

AccidentalMiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2018, 03:49:07 PM »
I have a tungsten carbide ring and it's invincible.  I lift weights daily and wear it during deadlifts, curls, shrugs, etc.   I'm talking the metal ring literally grinding against knurled barbells with heavy weight.  After ten years there's not a single scratch on it.  The thing looks brand new.  It only cost like $800 if I remember correctly.  I'd never buy gold or silver because the thing would be torn up in no time, or else I'd have to take the thing on and off daily and probably would have lost it ten times over by now.

This.  I have a tungsten carbide ring that replaced my original gold band which didn't last a decade.  Mine didn't cost anything like $800.  IF you are prone to substantial weight changes, they can't be sized.  If I gained a bunch of weight, I'd just buy another.

Lanthiriel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2018, 04:45:23 PM »
When my husband wore a ring, it was Tungsten. He's an engineer who does a fair amount of lab work, and his ring reacted poorly with some chemical at some point that made it permanently look dirty (not sure how else to explain it). He gave up on his ring after that, and I wound up switching to cheap silicone ones so that I can leave them all over my house and car and in my purse, so I can slip one on when I forget :) Rings are really important to some people and less so to others, and I think sometimes it's hard to know which on you'll be until you've been married a while. Perhaps best to err on the side of cheap until you know.

NeonPegasus

• Bristles
    • Neon Pegasus
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2018, 06:26:33 PM »
What men's gold bands cost $4k?!!

DH has a white gold band that cost around $500.

We decided against titanium for the reasons cited by the former EMT. Honestly, DH works with his hands so much that he almost never wears his ring but we are not comfortable with risking his fingers in any way for any reason.

Our employee wears a silicone band while he's working and likes it.

remizidae

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2018, 06:52:02 PM »
I got a chromium band, but, just a year later, my fiance's ring size had changed dramatically and the chromium could not be resized, so we went with gold after that. It's going to be about $500 for a plain gold band--I find that an acceptable expense considering the importance of the item and the value of resizeability.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2018, 08:59:57 PM »
I got an iron ring when I graduated as an engineer in 2004, and my stainless steel one when I married in 2008.  They both still fit fine.  My wife is the same.  My dad's wedding ring is 20+ years old and hasn't needed to be resized.  Are we just weird, or is it kinda unusual for rings to need to be resized?

nick663

• Bristles
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2018, 09:17:23 PM »
I have a Titanium one from amazon that cost less than $10.  I even tested it with an xrf gun at work to verify material.

Regarding removal of tungsten rings... isn't the preferred method to break them instead of cutting?  YouTube has a bunch of demo videos showing how to break a ring with a set of vice grips or a small hammer.  I actually stayed away from tungsten due to its brittle properties.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2018, 01:48:15 AM »

Can't tell you how disappointed I am that no-one has said death metal.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2018, 02:15:18 AM »
Hubby has a black carbon fibre ring from Etsy that cost about $35. I have a platinum one but at some point will get a black carbon one to match his as I prefer it. It's easily cut.

NeonPegasus

• Bristles
    • Neon Pegasus
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2018, 07:10:33 AM »
I got an iron ring when I graduated as an engineer in 2004, and my stainless steel one when I married in 2008.  They both still fit fine.  My wife is the same.  My dad's wedding ring is 20+ years old and hasn't needed to be resized.  Are we just weird, or is it kinda unusual for rings to need to be resized?

Ring size changes as people's weight changes. Many people fluctuate in weight over their lifetime. When I got married, my ring was just a hair big. I lost weight after having kids and it became way too big. I had to have it resized and added sizing beads to keep it positioned properly.

Another issue is that people can develop arthritis, which will make their knuckles larger without increasing their finger size. In that case, ring shanks may be required.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2018, 08:16:53 AM »
I recommend gold #1, steel or platinum for wearability, noncorrosion, and ability to be resized. When I was married for 20 years I wore my 14K gold band 24/7 and other than some scratches it was fine.

I don't care for tungsten due to the higher profile, if your finger got trapped/swollen, hard to get off. There is also the inability to be resized if you want to wear the same ring forever. The big plus the ring is more likely to damage something else than the other way around.

My ex's gold ring we bought new for $100. Maybe it would be $200 now? Can also find gold rings 2nd hand (reputable pawn shops).
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 08:49:33 AM by partgypsy »

Bourbon

• Bristles
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2018, 08:46:49 AM »
Tungsten here.  Considered gold for tradition - my father has one, but prefer a silver color.

I think $15-$20 on Amazon?  Lost it once at the gym and ordered a replacement, then the original was found. 

Yes there is the concern that it can't be cut off, but have also heard that some ER's have the special tool, and otherwise vise grips can work. 

It's also a very hard metal, so feel free to tap it on anything, drag on bricks, etc. Basically a no-worry metal ring.

rubybeth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2018, 08:58:29 AM »
Titanium, tungsten and tungsten carbides are cool because they don't scratch easily but as a former EMT, I'll personally avoid them.  In the event of an injury that causes swelling in the hands and/or fingers, tungsten rings can be extremely difficult to cut off with standard equipment (as others above have stated). Basically instead of snips for softer metals, you need a diamond abrasive wheel on a rotary power tool like a Dremel.  Of my friends who do have them, most wear them on a necklace instead of on their fingers.

Yes, this. My husband had to have his (white gold) wedding band cut off after he got a hand injury that swelled slowly over many days. He didn't realize it was swelling up so badly until it was too late to get the ring off. Doctor wouldn't do a cortisone injection to help with the swelling until the ring was off. A jeweler was able to saw off the white gold band fairly easily, and then repaired it (you can honestly hardly tell it was ever cut, except that the inscription inside has a little squiggle in it). This would not have been possible with a steel, tungsten, etc. band.

Also, if you want to be really freaked out about wearing rings while doing any kind of activity, google FINGER AVULSION. Ugh. You may have heard that this happened to Jimmy Fallon--his wedding band basically removed his own finger. It's a real thing that does happen.

theSlowTurtle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2018, 09:14:07 AM »
I got a palladium ring, 5mm and engraved for a little under $300 in 2011 (looks like it's $400 now). Same metal family as platinum, but cheaper, harder than white gold, hypoallergenic, doesn't need replating or anything - aka low maintenance.

After reading all these responses about trauma and losing a finger those silicone ones are intriguing! I sometimes catch mine on beer bottles when grabbing a 6 pack

I will say getting a ring that is rounded on the inside is real nice if you have never warn jewelry before.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Case

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2018, 09:32:19 AM »

My ring is ~78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen, and 1% argon.  It doesn't interfere with weightlifting, and in the event of an emergency it is very easily removed.

Turkey Leg

• Bristles
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2018, 09:57:35 AM »

My ring is ~78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen, and 1% argon.  It doesn't interfere with weightlifting, and in the event of an emergency it is very easily removed.

:D

Teachstache

• Stubble
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2018, 06:55:05 PM »
After reading these responses, I tried convincing spouse to buy a cheap silicone ring, or to get a tattooed ring of an infinity symbol with me (our wedding date was 08/08/08, so we're partial to the infinity symbol.)

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2018, 07:19:46 PM »
As others have mentioned the tungsten rings are really durable, but can be a problem in emergency situations. I got a white gold ring, because it looks like silver, but it doesn't tarnish as easily as silver does. We bought it off the internet so it was cheap.

I did buy my wife a diamond ring as an engagement ring, basically because I wanted to get her something pretty. She only wanted a super cheap cubic zirconium, but she likes the ring I got her. As an added benefit, if we're ever trapped in supervillain's lair inside a bulletproof glass box, we can use my wife's diamond to cut our way out. That gives me some piece of mind.

FireLane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2018, 04:41:17 AM »
I had a titanium engagement ring that I was happy with. It was silver with a black inlay, which I thought was suitably manly. I wear a plain gold wedding ring now.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2018, 07:05:52 AM »
Not a man, but I have a gold wedding ring (Mr SLTD didn't want to wear a ring). Cost around £100-£150, fairly thin, totally plain. I've had it on every day for three years now. I take it off to do the washing up because it is fractionally loose and I take my watch off for that too so it's no big deal, but other than that it's on my fingers 24/7. I garden and like DIY so I have hefted bricks around wearing it, I painted our whole house wearing it, I stick my hands in soil in it... I also do art for work so have accidentally spray painted it (drift from wind direction changing), one time I slightly superglued it to my finger... Point is, it's been through a lot. Yes, it's got a lot of micro-scratches and doesn't look out-of-the-box new. But you know what? Neither do I! If you're going to care about keeping this particular ring (which I really do, it's the one that Mr SLTD put on my finger on my wedding day, that is not the same to me as an "identical" replacement or "upgrade") then buy gold and love the way life makes its natural imprint on it the same way it does on you. If I ever lose mine I probably won't buy another one at all because it won't be the same to me. If yours will have sentimental value, love the scratches rather than resenting them, and buy one that can change with you.

rubybeth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2018, 08:24:15 AM »
Also, a good, inexpensive source for wedding bands online is https://www.e-weddingbands.com/ Both mine and my husband's are from there.

We just decided on the width at a local jeweler (I belive his is 6mm or 5mm, mine is 2mm), and that we wanted comfort fit/domed.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2018, 08:37:49 AM »
I had a titanium engagement ring that I was happy with. It was silver with a black inlay, which I thought was suitably manly. I wear a plain gold wedding ring now.

Men wear engagement rings these days???

Ocinfo

• Bristles
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2018, 09:27:48 AM »
$20 Titanium ring from Amazon. I didn’t like wearing jewelry so went with the lightest ring that I could. There is apparently some risk of having problems getting it off if finger gets hurt but $20 titanium isn’t exactly high grade so not too worried. I have had it for over 5 years and besides light surface blemishes, it looks like it’ll last.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2018, 09:28:17 AM »
As it has been pointed out already, the more exotic metals and removal can and will be a problem in an emergency, however, there is a minor exception. Commercially pure grade 1 (CP1) titanium only has a top tensile strength of 35ksi and yield strength of 25ksi with CP2 not too much harder. It's the CP3 or higher impure or titanium aerospace alloys, the tungsten alloys, etc. that are really dangerous and really difficult to remove at 5x-plus tensile/yield strength by medical staff. For a comparison, annealed sterling silver is 35ksi tensile and 18ksi yield, and even the softest stainless steels are still much harder to cut and work at twice that strength.

Another thing to watch for with the cheap rings is an inner pipe cut, which also can make the ring much harder to remove under... circumstances. You want a fully internally rounded comfort fit interior, properly sized to a 1/4 ring size, where only the peak of the inner curve is your actual ring size with the remaining inner surface larger than your finger. A CP1/2 titanium ring still might not be able to be easily resized smaller, but this permits a little bit more weight variability and makes the ring considerably easier to remove and even gives a little room to mill the ring a bit larger. Unfortunately, the only way to guarantee getting the more expensive pure titanium is to deal with a reputable jeweler who actually makes the things. Fortunately, the trivial additional cost over the mass produced stuff (expect to pay around $100) gives you the opportunity to customize the design to an extent.

Keep in mind, even though aerospace titanium alloy is harder to mill and work, it is far cheaper to produce in bulk. Price reflects this, and the harder to remove alloy rings will be far cheaper than the pure titanium.

At the end of the day, though, remember... it's just a symbol, and still just stuff. Invest yourself in what it represents, not in the item itself.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 09:31:19 AM by Daley »

Mrs. Fire Lane

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2018, 09:37:51 AM »

Why not? :) It seemed like a nice gesture and we wanted to be egalitarian, so I bought him one.

birdman2003

• Bristles
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2018, 09:40:29 AM »
Do not get a tungsten carbide ring made by Triton.  They are too brittle, and the company won't return your phone calls or emails when you try to get a replacement ring for your ring that fractured and is now missing a chunk.  Macy's didn't help and told us to contact Triton.  I work in a factory so I can't wear it during the work day.  I still wear my fractured ring but wish we had picked a less brittle material.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2018, 01:42:54 PM »

Why not? :) It seemed like a nice gesture and we wanted to be egalitarian, so I bought him one.

Engagment rings are kinda a giant waste to begin with . . . but this seeming attempt to push more product under the guise of egalitarianism leaves a bit of a bad taste in my mouth.

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2018, 03:03:55 PM »
Why exclude silver? They don’t cost a lot at all, $30 or so.