Author Topic: Meningitis vaccine for college  (Read 10102 times)

purple monkey

• Bristles
Meningitis vaccine for college
« on: February 03, 2018, 09:32:34 AM »

« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 08:23:46 PM by purple monkey »

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
Re: Meningitis vaccine for college
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 09:34:50 AM »
Just get the vaccine. I have taken care of lots of people with meningitis. It isn't pretty.

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 09:41:13 AM »
Meningitis is very common in college students and the vaccine can prevent them getting it.  It's not unreasonable for a college to want to to prevent an outbreak of a deadly disease.

radram

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 09:46:18 AM »
We are in a backwards state.

The form for vaccines requires all college freshman, even commuters to get a meningitis vaccine.

Has anyone been able to fight this and still get their child in college?

There is not a religious exemption and we can't get our doctor to document that is it not medically recommended.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

Why do you want your child to get out of it?

What qualifications do you have that exceed the information currently available to the medical community that proves passing on the vaccine is a health benefit?

It would seem if that evidence can survive peer review the medical community should no longer recommend the treatment. It happens all the time as we learn more.

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 10:27:35 AM »
No. The college has a requirement as a private organization. Your child cannot participate without meeting that requirement. Better for your child to be protected or reduce the odds of spreading or infecting other people than for them to be feverish and sickly for several days.

We are not in a backwards state. You are being backwards about it.

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2018, 10:34:15 AM »
A peek at your posting history shows that you get very aggressive when people disagree with you.  Good luck with getting anyone to listen to your perspective with that attitude.

There should be a process for an actual medical exemption if your child cannot tolerate the vaccine.  If your doctor is unwilling to do that, your options are to find a doctor who will, find a college that does not require the vaccine, or get the vaccine.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 10:36:58 AM by SimpleCycle »

radram

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2018, 11:29:45 AM »
We are in a backwards state.
Move.

The form for vaccines requires all college freshman, even commuters to get a meningitis vaccine.
Start your own college for your child.

Follow their rules or try to get the rules changed. Can you get a seat on their board? What about a hearing with the existing board so you can present the evidence they either refused to see or have not seen when they made their decision.

There is not a religious exemption and we can't get our doctor to document that is it not medically recommended.
You listed a reason for your child to not get the vaccine ("Each vaccine is very difficult for my child.  There is always a fever and sickly for several days."). You definitely should find a doctor that agrees with you. Am I correct too assume these reactions were not documented with your doctor? If they were make sure to bring those records to your new doctor. It should make finding a doctor wiling to give a medical reason.

If you could list the state/city you are from, maybe someone here has a specific doctor they can recommend. If the CDC does not recognize the reason you listed, can they be petitioned to include your reasoning?

Can you find a religion you could join that would allow you to get the result you are seeking?

I really do not understand your apparent anger with these replies. Just as you are trying to do the best for your child, so am I. Honestly, I hope your efforts are unsuccessful, since fewer vaccinated children means my child is at a greater risk. If you have evidence to the contrary by all means present it to the appropriate channels and get the rules changed.

As we know more, we should do better. If vaccines are not as beneficial as it seems, I want to know about it.

Enjoy your weekend.

Chrissy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2018, 11:33:20 AM »
We don't have college age children, so no real-world advice.  You did ask for ideas, though:

Submit without the documentation, leave that area of the form blank, hope it passes unnoticed, or they disregard.  They do want your money, after all.

Try to find any other doctor to give you documentation:  naturopath, chiropractor, etc.

Fill out a blank contraindication form (or make your own, or have your kid write a letter) listing your student's previous post-vaccine symptoms as the reason, and see if they accept that.  Note, I'm NOT suggesting any kind of fraud or misrepresentation.

scantee

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2018, 11:45:53 AM »
No one is "forcing" you to do anything: if you want your child to be able to attend this school, you have to abide by their rules. Find another school that doesn't have this requirement (an online school might be a good fit) if this is that important to you. Or, even better, leave the decision up to your son, who will soon be, or already is, an adult. Let him decide what's best for him rather than micromanaging every aspect of his life.

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2018, 11:51:47 AM »
No. The college has a requirement as a private organization. Your child cannot participate without meeting that requirement. Better for your child to be protected or reduce the odds of spreading or infecting other people than for them to be feverish and sickly for several days.

We are not in a backwards state. You are being backwards about it.

Yes, there are thousands of folks that are not vaccinated for it, like all the professors, staff, and just grocery store people.

They will not live on campus, but still have the option.

Thanks for knowing what is better for my child than me.

Guess most folks would think that almost all of MMM posts are backwards.

Cheers to you and hope you get your flu shot.

The professors don't live with the students. Bacterial Meningitis is spread more by close contact which your child will have closer contact than the professors, staff, and... wait what the grocery store people? Well them too I guess.

Doesn't matter if they will live on campus or not. A portion of the college experience is to engage with your peer group without supervision. I'm certain your child will want to do that. 

The better is for all not your selfish case.

No just you in this case.

I usually do. And have no problem with it. I guess you're one of those people that because of particular circumstances don't see the massive benefits vaccines have done for society as a whole. Apply that logic to other greater goods that have minimal side effects and you can just go straight back to the middle ages if you want.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2018, 12:08:54 PM »
purple monkey - your OP concluded with "any ideas? Thank you."

Many people here have given you ideas that you apparently do not agree with. 
Stop snarkily answering "thanks for not answering my question". 

Your objection to getting the vaccine seems to be that your child is sickly after all vaccinations.  If so, I agree with SimpleCycle and others that if there is a legitimate medical reason there is often an exemption process - I know my university has just such a policy.
As stated, there are also other colleges that do not have this requirement (often private religious schools). After all, iin this case it is very much a choice to attend.

If you child doesn't have a legit medical reason not to get the vaccine you are basically asking "how do I not abide by the rules?"
Colleges have all sorts of rules you must abide by if you choose to go there. Mine has prohibitions or restrictions on firearms, explosives, smoking, narcotics and alcohol. It also prohibits more than 5 individuals being in a dorm room at any time without a permit and you cannot have a halogen lamp. There are specialty clauses for each of these (e.g. limited narcotics with a dr's Rx and registration with teh school clinic). Them's the rules...

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2018, 12:28:58 PM »
Fever and muscle aches are normal responses to a vaccine. They indicate that the immune system is responding appropriately and the vaccine will work.

Nudelkopf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2018, 04:24:48 PM »
I'm confused. Your child is going to college, so I assume they are an adult. Why aren't they already vaccinated against meningitis? How have they been enrolled in school for the last 12 years (or were they homeschooled?)? Does your child actually object to the vaccine for a real reason, or do they just not like needles?

Edit to add: I'll pray for you, that you find a solution to your problem.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 04:28:19 PM by Nudelkopf »

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2018, 04:49:31 PM »
Not getting your child vaccinated is profoundly stupid, and I say that as an unvaccinated child. My brother had mumps as an adult. I had measles and chicken pox as an adult. My parents were idiots. We could have died. We were horribly, horribly, can't get out of bed ill for weeks. As soon as I recovered, I got myself fully vaccinated. If my brother had been rendered infertile, and I'd got rubella instead of measles, my idiot parents could have effectively killed any potential grandchildren also. Brilliant. And this isn't even considering the people that we passed those diseases onto.

Meanwhile, one of my professors had all four limbs amputated due to meningitis when I was at college.

Captain FIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2018, 08:02:47 PM »
When I was in high school, the football team came down with meningitis.  Close quarters, sharing water bottles, etc.  Similar to college students living together.

When I was in college, my classmates came down with meningitis.  One died.  The college offered vaccines to everyone and while it was voluntary (then at least) everyone I knew took them up on it.

I'd take an unpleasant vaccine reaction such as you described over the death of my child any day.

(A friend of a friend's 17 month old kid died last week from the flu, which is hard to vaccinate against successfully.  Be grateful there is a vaccine for meningitis.)

Islander

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2018, 09:12:59 PM »
Iam sorry for the behaviour of some members of the mmm community. Purple monkey keep searching for answers and stay strong, your not alone in this!

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2018, 07:06:49 AM »
Iam sorry for the behaviour of some members of the mmm community. Purple monkey keep searching for answers and stay strong, your not alone in this!

This is the forum where we metaphorically face punch each other for stupid financial decisions, right?  I thought people addressed the question seriously and gave lots of good perspectives.

If purple monkey's son's doctor doesn't think the son's reaction is serious enough to not vaccinate, I would go with the doctor's opinion and arrange for the vaccination.  At the son's age I had really strong reactions to my tetanus vaccination (very hot red swollen arm for days) but definitely better than getting tetanus.  Meningitis is potentially very nasty, I applaud the  college for requiring this.

radram

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2018, 07:36:16 AM »
Did someone take their ball and go home?

Thank you all for answering the question.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Thank you...
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2018, 07:43:38 AM »
Thanks to all that did not respond to my question, but spent their time schooling me on how wrong I am.

Thank you all for your unpleasant responses.

Thank you most of all for showing me that I can't come here for questions unrelated to FIRE, unless I am willing to be brutally berated and called names.

Some really unhappy folks that need to be right no matter what.

Thank you Chrissy for responding to my question.

Peace out.

purple monkey - I've re-read over all the replies and I think you are mistaken about the posts made here.  The majority of posters did not call you names or berate you.  The closest I could find is one person calling not vaccinating your child "stupid".  Note this is very different from calling you stupid. Another refuted the idea that we are in a backwards state (your OP - quoted by radram 3 posts down now).

You asked for ideas and if anyone had experience, and many people shared their ideas and experiences. Getting a medical exemption was suggested by multiple people (including myself).  others shared their experiences with the disease in college. I'll add my own - as an athlete in college we had meningitis rip through our squads not once but twice. Two of my teammates wound up in the hospital and had to red-shirt the year; a girl on a rival team died.
Others brought up the fact that colleges have a duty to protect their students and if you don't agree with their policies you can either fight to have them changed, ask for an exemption or choose a different school.

Since you asked for personal experiences I'll add this additional one: I am at a major university and TA field courses. I also have coached the athetic teams and been involved in theatre. For each of these activities (e.g. field trips, sports teams) there are often additional requirements for participation, including vaccination records and personal evacuation insurance. I will not allow any student to participate until these requirements have been met and the university gives me the authority to do so. You might disagree with me but my responsibility is first to the health and safety of everyone, and at times that means excluding people. This isn't just a hypothetical either - we recently had to block two foreign students from a field trip because they could not provide their medical records from their home country (they said they had all the vaccines, but without the records we could not allow them to participate).
Point is your child may find additional obstacles down the road.

Ultimately I hope you re-consider people's responses, even if you disagree with them. Most are not posting here out of malice, but to genuinely help others. As RetiredAt63 pointed out, this is a forum where we give out 'face-punches' for stupid financial decisions, and people will be critical.  But critical does not mean ill-natured, nor does it mean they are calling you names or not answering your question.

runbikerun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2018, 08:21:34 AM »
The responses here are remarkably civil and polite. You're asking for advice on how to do something which endangers other people and is not supported by your doctor. People who have seen fellow students die as a result of insufficient herd immunity have managed to bite their tongues and disagree in a controlled fashion.

If the college will only accept a medical exemption, and your doctor will not support a medical exemption, then your child should be vaccinated.

champion

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2018, 02:00:18 PM »
Why did the original post get converted into this:

"*********************

*********************"

?????

Anyway, vaccination should not be questioned or criticized.  And doing your own research (how? the internet?) is not reliable.  Doctors know what's best. 

Going against the conventional wisdom is fine when it comes to early retirement.  It's not fine when it comes to vaccination.  There, the conventional wisdom is unassailable. 

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2018, 02:03:17 PM »

"*********************

*********************"

?????
It was edited by purple monkey (the OP), but I do not know why.  Once a thread has been commented on only a moderator can delete it, and typically they don't unless requested by the OP and with good reason.

It should be noted that once a person's post has been quoted by another, it's basically set in stone within the thread.  You can re-read the OP where radram quoted it (3rd post in the thread).
cheers
~n~

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2018, 02:33:29 PM »

"*********************

*********************"

?????
It was edited by purple monkey (the OP), but I do not know why.  Once a thread has been commented on only a moderator can delete it, and typically they don't unless requested by the OP and with good reason.

It should be noted that once a person's post has been quoted by another, it's basically set in stone within the thread.  You can re-read the OP where radram quoted it (3rd post in the thread).
cheers
~n~

And normally when people post something they plan to remove soon (often a picture) they specifically request that it not be quoted.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2018, 03:45:17 PM »
Going against conventional wisdom, when it affects the health and well-being of other people, does generally require some sort of evidence to back it up.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2018, 03:55:52 PM »
If your offspring is going to college, you no longer have a child. This is not your decision.

Cgbg

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2018, 05:55:30 PM »
Turning this thread in a slightly different direction, I ended up paying for my youngest son’s 2nd meningitis vaccine out of pocket. He was vaccinated against one strain in middle school but needed the vaccine for the newer strain (B, I think) before heading off to college.

Anyway, it’s a 2-shot sequence. He waited until just before he left in the fall to get the first of two shots which meant that he needed to get one shot on on campus. He adulted just fine, making an appointment at the campus clinic. Both of us failed to check to see if our insurance covers that clinic. 

It does not. The cost was $178, out of pocket. Still cheaper than getting the disease, but it’s a good reminder to check out where your kid can use your health insurance when they are off to college.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2018, 08:16:15 PM »
If your offspring is going to college, you no longer have a child. This is not your decision.

This.
My parents threw the world's biggest tantrum when I had myself vaccinated. Too bad - my health, and my responsibility to the rest of the human race, even if they don't give a damn.

JanetJackson

• Pencil Stache
    • How I actually made $50 just for taking a survey and being in the healthcare marketplace
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2018, 10:52:23 AM »
Hi.
I do not mean to come into this thread and attack anyone for their choices.  I do make non-conventional choices sometimes myself (I do not get the flu shot).  But I do want to share the sorrow related to Meningitis that I experienced as a teenager. 
We had a small (but large comparatively, when looking at our student body size) outbreak of Meningitis when I was in high school.  Three teenagers eventually died from it, another ended up hospitalized but survived. 
I would see the one boys mother volunteering at the thrift shop my grandmother managed for years after he passed away- her body seemed like a hollowed out shell, her eyes were physically painful to look into.  This is just my experience, but it spread so easily (the one girl contracted it from attending the calling hours) that I personally would not take the risk.
It was hard to find articles related to this, since it was so long ago, but I did find a few:   http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=93164&page=1

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2018, 10:57:17 AM »
Thanks for sharing JanetJackson.  How come you weren't at this year's half-time show?  Bad memories from last time?

EDA: modified due to poor taste.  /sorry.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 12:40:50 PM by nereo »

ooeei

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2018, 11:47:29 AM »
My senior year of college I moved into an off campus house with a few guys, the year before a friend of theirs who stayed with them regularly got a little sick, 3 days later he was dead from meningitis. They have a memorial get together every year for him, really sad stuff.

Off campus =/= no meningitis. I think our university at the time only required it for freshmen or students on campus, not sure though.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2018, 11:52:15 AM »
Thanks for sharing JanetJackson.  How come you weren't at this year's half-time show?  Bad memories from last time?

That's pretty unfair to the real Janet Jackson.  A joint stunt by her and Justin Timberlake ruined her career and had no effect on his (if it wasn't a stunt and WAS a wardrobe malfunction; it was entirely on him ripping off her breastplate, and yet she took the heat).  Women are really harshly judged in our media; men can get away with pretty much anything.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 11:55:01 AM by iowajes »

kimmarg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2018, 12:02:12 PM »
On your original question on fighting the vaccine form, generally a blood titer showing immunity is also acceptable even with no vaccine record. For example I had chicken pox so I can show antibodies in my blood stream even though I did not have the vaccine. if you think your child has been exposed and is already immune try talking to your doctor about this route.

No idea what state you're in but I'll commiserate on the form being annoying. When I started graduate school in Utah I had to call my pediatrician who had to look up my vaccine records in cold storage. I was 25 or so at the time. Took me several weeks of back and forth and phone calls to finally get the paperwork.

And yes, I know you didn't ask but i lived next door to someone who got menengitis in college. It was very scary they were hospitalized fighting for their life for a week or so. For me, seeing that was enough to want to get the vaccine. 

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2018, 12:05:41 PM »

That's pretty unfair to the real Janet Jackson.  A joint stunt by her and Justin Timberlake ruined her career and had no effect on his (if it wasn't a stunt and WAS a wardrobe malfunction; it was entirely on him ripping off her breastplate, and yet she took the heat).  Women are really harshly judged in our media society; men can get away with pretty much anything.

Fixed it for you

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2018, 12:16:19 PM »
Hi.
I do not mean to come into this thread and attack anyone for their choices.  I do make non-conventional choices sometimes myself (I do not get the flu shot).  But I do want to share the sorrow related to Meningitis that I experienced as a teenager. 
We had a small (but large comparatively, when looking at our student body size) outbreak of Meningitis when I was in high school.  Three teenagers eventually died from it, another ended up hospitalized but survived. 
I would see the one boys mother volunteering at the thrift shop my grandmother managed for years after he passed away- her body seemed like a hollowed out shell, her eyes were physically painful to look into.  This is just my experience, but it spread so easily (the one girl contracted it from attending the calling hours) that I personally would not take the risk.
It was hard to find articles related to this, since it was so long ago, but I did find a few:   http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=93164&page=1
Two weeks ago I was in orientation for a new job.  Another coworker was also participating.  He mentioned he never gets the flu shot because he never gets the flu.  He missed that Wednesday because he had gotten the flu.  He is now in the hospital and has been for over a week.  He was a healthy middle aged man.   

JanetJackson

• Pencil Stache
    • How I actually made $50 just for taking a survey and being in the healthcare marketplace
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2018, 01:59:02 PM »
Hi.
Two weeks ago I was in orientation for a new job.  Another coworker was also participating.  He mentioned he never gets the flu shot because he never gets the flu.  He missed that Wednesday because he had gotten the flu.  He is now in the hospital and has been for over a week.  He was a healthy middle aged man.
Thanks for calling me out. Genuinely.  I'll probably get one when I find a free flu shot- I think I saw them once at CVS.  My insurance is SO BAD I cannot afford to go to the hospital over a flu, and knowing me... I'd avoid going and then just get worse/pass away at home alone.  Also not my preference. 
I don't avoid it because I don't get the flu (I do get the flu, maybe once every year and a half/once a year), it's mostly that it's a scheduling hassle, costs money, and I am a bit afraid of needles (but have a full sleeve of tattoos, so this is a ridiculous fear)
I'll do it!
[/b]

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2018, 02:00:40 PM »
Hi.
Thanks for calling me out. Genuinely.  I'll probably get one when I find a free flu shot- I think I saw them once at CVS.  My insurance is SO BAD I cannot afford to go to the hospital over a flu, and knowing me... I'd avoid going and then just get worse/pass away at home alone.  Also not my preference. 
I don't avoid it because I don't get the flu (I do get the flu, maybe once every year and a half/once a year), it's mostly that it's a scheduling hassle, costs money, and I am a bit afraid of needles (but have a full sleeve of tattoos, so this is a ridiculous fear)
I'll do it!
[/b]
Flu shots are now considered preventive so should be covered 100% through your insurance so you should be able to do to any local covered pharmacy.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Blonde Lawyer

• Pencil Stache
    • My Student Loan Refi Story
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2018, 02:07:13 PM »
Hi.
I'll do it!
[/b]

Here's more motivation.  In the past, I refused the flu shot when it was given out at work.  I have Crohn's and there was some research that it could cause a flare.  The nurse giving out the shots took the time to talk to me about why I was refusing.  She talked to me about how there are many things that cause flares and I take risks on some of them often (drinking for example).  The shot could be my cheat that day and I could stick to my diet and avoid other triggers for a week or two.  She reminded me how much more risky the flu would be for me.

I got the shot.  That same year, my extremely healthy and fit husband got H1N1 and almost ended up hospitalized. I did not catch it because I had got my shot.  I am forever grateful to that nurse.

Also, I doubt you actually get the flu every other year.  I mean the real CDC tracked, tests positive influenza. 

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2018, 02:34:27 PM »
Hi.
I'll do it!
[/b]

Here's more motivation.  In the past, I refused the flu shot when it was given out at work.  I have Crohn's and there was some research that it could cause a flare.  The nurse giving out the shots took the time to talk to me about why I was refusing.  She talked to me about how there are many things that cause flares and I take risks on some of them often (drinking for example).  The shot could be my cheat that day and I could stick to my diet and avoid other triggers for a week or two.  She reminded me how much more risky the flu would be for me.

I got the shot.  That same year, my extremely healthy and fit husband got H1N1 and almost ended up hospitalized. I did not catch it because I had got my shot.  I am forever grateful to that nurse.

Also, I doubt you actually get the flu every other year.  I mean the real CDC tracked, tests positive influenza.

Yeah, every time I hear people say they had 'the flu last week' (and are now fine) or they are staying home for a few days because they have 'a touch of the flu', I know they don't know what real flu is like.  It's not like a head cold, for fuck's sake!  Actual flu is horrific; and the effects, even on healthy people that recover on schedule, usually last for weeks.  I cannot fathom someone getting actual flu that frequently, and not getting vaccinated.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2018, 02:57:38 PM »
I mean the real CDC tracked, tests positive influenza.

The problem is, a lot of the time they don't bother testing.

My daughter was in the ER yesterday for tachycardia, tachypnea, and a 105 degree fever.  We were told it was probably influenza or RSV, but since it was day 3, tamiflu was not recommended, so it didn't matter what it was- the same protocol applied, rest, fluids, and fever reducers to keep the fever in the 99-101 range.  Swabbing for the flu would be more distressing to her than worth it to confirm what the infection was.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2018, 03:47:37 PM »

My daughter was in the ER yesterday for tachycardia, tachypnea, and a 105 degree fever.  We were told it was probably influenza or RSV, but since it was day 3, tamiflu was not recommended, so it didn't matter what it was- the same protocol applied, rest, fluids, and fever reducers to keep the fever in the 99-101 range.  Swabbing for the flu would be more distressing to her than worth it to confirm what the infection was.
Yes this.  My older son was sick last week with some sort of virus.  We are guessing the flu because he matched 7/8 symptoms for children with flu.

But, it's so widespread that doctors, urgent cares, and hospitals are telling people to STAY AWAY unless they are in really bad shape.  So he was never tested.

JanetJackson

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2018, 07:45:12 AM »
Ok, you got me.  Maybe I don't get the flu every other year.  My insurance is so bad I only go to the doctor for my yearly pelvic exam- I haven't been to the doctor in 10+ years for anything else... so who knows what I've had?

Hi.
I'll do it!
[/b]

Yeah, every time I hear people say they had 'the flu last week' (and are now fine) or they are staying home for a few days because they have 'a touch of the flu', I know they don't know what real flu is like.  It's not like a head cold, for fuck's sake!  Actual flu is horrific; and the effects, even on healthy people that recover on schedule, usually last for weeks.  I cannot fathom someone getting actual flu that frequently, and not getting vaccinated.

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2018, 08:17:45 AM »

That doesn't seem right to me. My son (16 months) was in the ER with RSV and they did a swab to test for it. He was then hospitalized for four days due to his breathing.  Anyway, I hope your little one is doing better! Whether its the flu or RSV, it's scary!

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2018, 08:27:58 AM »

That doesn't seem right to me. My son (16 months) was in the ER with RSV and they did a swab to test for it. He was then hospitalized for four days due to his breathing.  Anyway, I hope your little one is doing better! Whether its the flu or RSV, it's scary!

She is doing much better today! She is 10 months old- her fever reduced well in the ER once they gave her additional meds, and that calmed her breathing down too.  If they had to admit her, they might have tested more specifically.  I don't think she has RSV; likely it is a mild version of the flu (she was vaccinated) or just some random virus. 

Thankfully she avoided the horrible norovirus my husband I just had. I haven't been that sick for years.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2018, 07:43:12 AM »
Slightly on topic/slightly off topic, but if you need pretty much any vaccine, call your local pharmacy and ask. I had to get an emergency tetnus shot last summer, and Wallgreens's had TDAP. 10 minutes from my house, pretty easy. They billed insurance and everything, so it was overall pretty painless. Under ACA, vaccines are generally 100% covered as well. I'm pretty sure a lot of the chain pharmacies do them.

kite

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2018, 05:52:47 AM »
I had a reaction to a vaccine as a child, and fall into the grey area around weighing the risk of the vaccine versus whatever illness the vaccine will prevent.  If the vaccine is not medically indicated, The doctor who made that determination should  document it for you.  However, the college is still not obligated to let you attend.  If you're too medically fragile for the vaccine, you probably wouldn't want to risk sitting in a college classroom situation.  Can courses be completed online until he is well enough to get the shot?

champion

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2018, 01:12:51 AM »
The important thing to remember is that even though vaccines come from for-profit pharmaceutical companies, we should buy all of the ones that are recommended.  Pharmaceutical products are based on science.  There are a lot of categories of spending where mustachianism makes sense, but health care is not one of them. 

Most adults are actually woefully undervaccinated compared to what is recommended for children these days.  The science wasn't as advanced when most of us were kids. 

Talk to your doctor about a catch-up plan.  Most adults need an additional 20-30 shots to be compliant with today's CDC recommendations.  It sounds like a lot, but it's easily doable in several sessions spread across several months. 

ohsnap

• Bristles
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2018, 08:04:10 AM »

For the last month my Facebook feed has been full of people saying things like they or someone in their family has "that flu thing going around" as if it's no big deal.  My favorite was just yesterday: a friend posted an invite to an essential oil workshop that her oil-peddling friend is hosting about how to prevent the flu.  My friend's reason for inviting us all - "we started to get the flu but immediately began using ABC oil and XYZ oil and the next day we were fine."  SMH.

spicykissa

• Stubble
« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2018, 01:10:17 PM »
On your original question on fighting the vaccine form, generally a blood titer showing immunity is also acceptable even with no vaccine record. For example I had chicken pox so I can show antibodies in my blood stream even though I did not have the vaccine. if you think your child has been exposed and is already immune try talking to your doctor about this route.

No idea what state you're in but I'll commiserate on the form being annoying. When I started graduate school in Utah I had to call my pediatrician who had to look up my vaccine records in cold storage. I was 25 or so at the time. Took me several weeks of back and forth and phone calls to finally get the paperwork.

Off the original topic, but if you need proof of vaccination and cannot get the records, you can get blood titers showing immunity for all the required diseases instead. My school of nursing actually required the blood tests and would not accept paperwork, because it can be falsified and also sometime people need a booster ahead of the schedule and don't know it.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2018, 02:31:21 PM »

Off the original topic, but if you need proof of vaccination and cannot get the records, you can get blood titers showing immunity for all the required diseases instead. My school of nursing actually required the blood tests and would not accept paperwork, because it can be falsified and also sometime people need a booster ahead of the schedule and don't know it.

What do they do about people who's immune systems don't respond adequately and thus don't develop immunity?

spicykissa

• Stubble
« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2018, 02:49:51 PM »
They have to get revaccinated and get another blood draw showing the level is still low. Then I think there was some kind of waiver you had to sign, agreeing you wouldn't sue the school if you contracted Hep B from an accidental needlestick or meningitis during the pediatric rotation or what have you.