Author Topic: Men- Where are you buying your shirts?  (Read 7707 times)

Carini

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Men- Where are you buying your shirts?
« on: December 14, 2015, 11:48:53 AM »
Looking for good deals on quality stuff online. I really like the stuff from Untuckit.com, but it's too expensive for me.  Suggestions?

Roboturner

• Pencil Stache
  • No Snacks, Just Math
Re: Men- Where are you buying your shirts?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 11:50:44 AM »
Express works if you are patient enough to look for coupons and couple them with sales (both of which happen all the time there)

slugsworth

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 01:20:14 PM »
I showed up to Jos. Banks on my bike, on a slow day and got amazing service. I think the bike helmet was key - they pointed me straight to the discount section.  I got some totally professional shirts for $7 and didn't spend over $20 on any of them.   

Mikila

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 01:24:39 PM »
Thrift stores.  Lots of fancy and tacky Shir s there

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk

BarkyardBQ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2015, 01:32:57 PM »
I haven't bought clothes since I met my wife over 2 years ago. I was getting a new job, and spent 1k at Express because I was in a new fancy front facing building yada yada (found MMM about 8 months later)... some time and maneuvering etc and I'm neatly tucked away in the back of the building. Jeans and polos now, no more dry cleaning.

I browse the thrift and Ross type stores when we are there, but I'm never sold, I know I have enough at home. However I do see never-worn, original tags on very nice clothes all the time in these places. Wife bought a pair of Express slacks that were usually like $120 for $4, tags still on.

Wife insists I need a new pair of jeans soon, when my wallet tears through the pocket. I told her to let me know when they've met the threshold.

iamlittlehedgehog

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2015, 01:52:05 PM »
Usually Duluth Trading company. They last forever and have a wide range (button down and polos). For his few "dressy" shirts we usually go to Kohls or try Bealls Outlet.

Carini

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2015, 02:31:35 PM »
Good stuff so far. keep em' coming. thanks.

Red Beard

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2015, 04:17:45 PM »
I am a Gap/Banana Republic/Old Navy fan. A couple of "extra 40% off all clearance items" sales can keep me dressed for years. A number of my shirts are on year 5 and still going strong!

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2015, 04:26:29 PM »
I bought a shirt at wal mart yesterday for $3, it was in the craft aisle, I think generally these shirts are used to paint or tie dye or something.
Half of my shirts I bought from local bands to help support them, they are expensive, usually $15-25, but I do it to support the local bands that I like. I also have a shirt that I got at a Boston concert that I paid a whopping $40 for(non-local band T-shirts are ridiculously high priced). I only bought this shirt because Tom Schultz is one of my role models.
I also get shirts as Xmas presents quite frequently.

Telecaster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2015, 04:45:26 PM »
Costco.  You can't beat the prices on men's dress shirts. 

desk_jockey

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Bristles
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2015, 06:34:05 PM »
I second Costco for dress shirts, in store or online.  Wrinkle-free and stain-resistant. 

Read the online reviews as some people have been critical of a change in the shirt design.  This may have been addressed, as fitted shirts seem to be available again. 

tj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2015, 09:06:51 PM »
I buy most of my clothes on Amazon.

Valetta

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2015, 05:03:32 AM »
Husband's dress shirts have come from two places - Nordstrom's and Sears. The Nordstrom's Smartcare ones are a little pricey - $65 regular price - but they fit him perfectly and last forever (he bought 4, wore each one once a week and they lasted 5 years). They also really don't need any ironing and wash up well. They go on sale, I've seen them as low as $30.

We bought him a bunch of dress shirts at Sears for the first time this summer so we'll see how long they last. They were certainly cheap but if they wear out much faster than the Nordstrom ones, it's probably worth it to keep buying the Nordstrom ones instead. The material is definitely a lot thinner and the stitching isn't as strong.

I've tried thrift stores for him but he's kind of an odd size - 15.5 for the neck and 35 for the arms, so I haven't had any luck finding shirts there for him. Unfortunately he has the kind of job where he needs to wear slacks and a dress shirt every day so I have to find them somewhere.

Tjat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2015, 06:47:12 AM »
Husband's dress shirts have come from two places - Nordstrom's and Sears. The Nordstrom's Smartcare ones are a little pricey - $65 regular price - but they fit him perfectly and last forever (he bought 4, wore each one once a week and they lasted 5 years). They also really don't need any ironing and wash up well. They go on sale, I've seen them as low as $30.

We bought him a bunch of dress shirts at Sears for the first time this summer so we'll see how long they last. They were certainly cheap but if they wear out much faster than the Nordstrom ones, it's probably worth it to keep buying the Nordstrom ones instead. The material is definitely a lot thinner and the stitching isn't as strong.

I've tried thrift stores for him but he's kind of an odd size - 15.5 for the neck and 35 for the arms, so I haven't had any luck finding shirts there for him. Unfortunately he has the kind of job where he needs to wear slacks and a dress shirt every day so I have to find them somewhere.

+1 for Nordstrom SmartCare. I wanted to look for lower prices and tried the "Ryan Seacrest" shirts at Macys for $30 a piece. They don't fit nearly as well, so will keep an eye out for Nordstrom sales. I historically am hard on dress shirts (thin material wears at left elbow), but have been on a good run with not ripping them recently.

NextTime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2015, 09:19:14 AM »
I showed up to Jos. Banks on my bike, on a slow day and got amazing service. I think the bike helmet was key - they pointed me straight to the discount section.  I got some totally professional shirts for $7 and didn't spend over $20 on any of them.

I also go with Jos A Banks online. Love their Traveler's line. Only buy on clearance though. Check frequently and you will eventually find what you want on clearance at a decent price.

mjs111

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2015, 10:37:23 AM »
Costco and TJ Maxx for me.

Carini

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2015, 10:43:52 AM »

I also go with Jos A Banks online. Love their Traveler's line. Only buy on clearance though. Check frequently and you will eventually find what you want on clearance at a decent price.

I'll definitely check this out. thanks.

TheAnonOne

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2015, 12:12:20 PM »
Costco... can't beat it...

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2015, 12:25:39 PM »
I last purchased a shirt six years ago.

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2015, 01:11:07 PM »

Is the traveler the slim one? I tried their so-called fitted/slim shirts and it was a friggin tent!

Maybe this would be more useful if people could say which body shape the shirts fit.. In my experience there's no point bothering with JoAB and brooks brothers unless you're over 250 lb or you're pregnant.

JC factory I got shirts for $30-40 a piece.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2015, 01:47:50 PM »
I got my boyfriend four dress shirts for $30 from a Sears closing sale in 2012, when he started working in an office. I've had to sew on a few buttons here and there, but they seem fine. He also has one Gap shirt that's about eight or nine years old that is nearing the end of its life. I think brand is a lot less important than how you take care of it - those shirts have never seen the inside of a dryer, and he wears cheap undershirts underneath them which protects them a bit as well.

NextTime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2015, 02:52:49 PM »

Is the traveler the slim one? I tried their so-called fitted/slim shirts and it was a friggin tent!

Maybe this would be more useful if people could say which body shape the shirts fit.. In my experience there's no point bothering with JoAB and brooks brothers unless you're over 250 lb or you're pregnant.

JC factory I got shirts for $30-40 a piece.

Traveler line has a traditional fit (which I would swim in), a tailored fit (which fit me just fine), and a slim fit. If the slim fit is that large on you, you are slim indeed.