Author Topic: Memorial Day BBQ menu  (Read 7473 times)

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
Memorial Day BBQ menu
« on: May 05, 2014, 12:13:43 PM »
We're going to host a Memorial Day BBQ/Housewarming party and I'm looking for tasty party pleasing dishes that aren't too expensive.  Dishes that are unique, not too complicated to fix, kids would eat, or can be made ahead are bonuses.

We'll have the standard hot dogs/hamburgers and either veggie burgers or grilled pesto shrimp for the pescetarians.  (The veggie burgers just don't seem appetizing, but I'm not sure I want to make an expensive shrimp dish and have the non-veggie eaters nab them all, so suggestions for alternatives are particularly welcome here).

I'll make homemade rolls or cornbread (not sure yet), hummus (with veggies), and guac (with chips).

I'm also thinking of these four salads to round things out:
White bean salad:  Version somewhat similar to this one http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/quick_and_easy_white_bean_salad/
Black Bean & Mango Salad: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2013/08/grilled-chicken-with-black-bean-mango.html
Carrot & Apple Slaw with Raisins: http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/carrot-apple-raisin-slaw-recipe-00000000031515/index.html
Argula & Sundried Tomatoes Pasta Salad: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/05/summer-pasta-salad-with-baby-greens.html
The first three I believe are gluten free, and we will have a few of those folks attending so we need to make sure there's enough for them to eat.

I don't like potato salads, so I'm not keen on making one.

Suggestions to add or change things out?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 07:29:33 PM by CommonCents »

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Memorial's Day BBQ menu
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 12:20:54 PM »
veggie burgers don't have to be gross. spicy patties with a black bean or lentil base are delicious, and if you leave some bright veg chunks in to break the mental association with meat even some meat people will eat them. just don't make veggies pretend to be something they aren't

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 12:31:52 PM »
veggie burgers don't have to be gross. spicy patties with a black bean or lentil base are delicious, and if you leave some bright veg chunks in to break the mental association with meat even some meat people will eat them. just don't make veggies pretend to be something they aren't

Do you have a receipe for one?  Or a brand name suggestion to buy?  I've only ever seen the frozen variety and they never look particularly appealing.

iwasjustwondering

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 12:36:34 PM »
Everyone is going to eat the shrimp, so if you don't want everyone to eat it, don't serve it at all.  Seriously, just cut it from the menu.

If you want something interesting besides veggie burgers, make a quinoa salad.  I make mine with olive oil, lime juice, avocado, tomato, and a few other things I can't recall.  Cut the avocado if it's too expensive.  Quinoa is high in protein, and my vegetarian people love it.  Another option, if you don't want a million salads, is to put a quinoa salad inside mini bell peppers and cook it on the grill.  They will look fab on a platter.

Cheaper fish option: cut shrimp up and mix with rice and spices.  Serve in the mini bell peppers.  Now you're serving shrimp without giving a few whole pieces to everyone. 

Another option, if you really don't like the veggie burgers, is to make a big homemade mac-and-cheese as another side dish.  It adds protein and fills guests up, without meat or major expense.  Use interesting cheeses, like gouda, to make it more sophisticated. 

Deviled eggs.  Enough said.  We covered them in another thread.

If you want to switch up the hot dog/hamburger thing, do chicken thighs or drumsticks on the grill.  They're cheap and easy, and people love them. 

Potato salad for people who hate potato salad: cut baby red potatoes in half or quarters, depending on size.  Boil.  Cool.  Mix with balsamic vinegar, olive oil, and loads of chopped parsley, scallions and chives.  It's fabulous. 

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 12:39:30 PM »
http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/throw-down-the-gauntlet/fire-drill!-skip-this-week's-grocery-shop/msg30705/#msg30705

just like making meatballs, throw in whatever you want with some flour/breadcrumbs and an egg or two

MustachianAccountant

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 12:39:58 PM »

Do you have a receipe for one?  Or a brand name suggestion to buy?  I've only ever seen the frozen variety and they never look particularly appealing.

Morningstar Farms "Grillers Prime" burgers are good. Though I've never met a palatable veggie hot dog.

If you want a recipe, just peruse the Google results for "Spicy Black Bean Jalapeno Burgers" and pick one that strikes your fancy.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2014, 12:46:31 PM »
Everyone is going to eat the shrimp, so if you don't want everyone to eat it, don't serve it at all.  Seriously, just cut it from the menu.

Yes, sorry that wasn't clear.  I wouldn't limit it to only those who don't eat meat, and I recognize that many would want to eat it, hence looking for alternative ideas.  I'm not specifically opposed to veggie burgers myself, as I don't need to eat them, I just wanted something that actually was tasty (so if the veggie-burger eaters swear they like them, I'd go buy the frozen things for them).

Thanks for the other ideas!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 12:48:21 PM by CommonCents »

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2014, 01:13:21 PM »
Ok I'm leaning towards either trying to make veggie patties or doing a grilled quinoa stuffed peppers.  And if my sister offers to bring something (likely), I'll ask her for her deviled eggs as she does them sometimes for other gatherings.  We have a butter/wine/paprika sauce that we use on grilled chicken legs/wings, which is pretty popular so we may add that into the mix as well.  It's more reasonably priced than DH's idea last night of doing brats, and even cheaper than chicken tenders with our teriyaki marinade.

Let me know if you have other ideas - I'm amenable to switching out some of the salads if they don't look tasty.

Elaine

• Bristles
    • Small Things Good
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2014, 01:15:29 PM »
http://www.theppk.com/2012/02/quarter-pounder-beet-burger/

That's a good veggie burger recipe.

Disclaimer: I have not grilled this.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2014, 03:01:47 PM »
Grilling homemade veggie burgers is kind of a disaster.  Tons of blogs say they do this, with fancy pictures to prove it, but we have had zero success.

Quorn "chicken" is delicious and the least processed of the fake meats.  Maybe I shouldn't say least processed..... more like least offensive ingredients.  It you want an actual burger, all the spicy black bean ones are pretty good.  My grocery (Kroger) has a type in the organic/natural refrigerator section that it yummy- I don't remember the brand as I buy them only rarely, but that is something to consider. 

All that said, the best homemade veggie burger I have made is the skinny taste spicy one.  http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/06/spicy-black-bean-burgers-with-chipotle.html.  Make ahead, freeze, but grill it on a piece of foil or it will fall apart, in my experience.  I just bake them in the oven, personally.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2014, 03:26:45 PM »
grilled sliced eggplant (marinated in balsamic vinegar, garlic, and I think dried basil... I don't remember, I haven't made it since last summer) is fucking delicious.

also, I second whoever said deviled eggs, always a delicious and frugal party choice.

I also just can't process the idea of not liking potato salad! ;)

EDIT: pretty sure this is what we use as a guideline:
http://southernfood.about.com/od/grillfruitveggie/r/bl30627e.htm

OMG it's just so good. and you could totally put it on buns and pretend it's a sandwich, but it's sooooo good by itself.

Sylly

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2014, 03:45:30 PM »
A possible option for the Pescetarians: Tuna Burger - I've made this recipe at home (not grilled) and they're tasty. They're not kidding when they say they're fragile. I haven't experimented much with it myself, but I'm planning on possibly adding more bread crumbs next time I make them, or try to *really* drain the tuna to make the patty a little more solid.

For a hot day, I like this Watermelon & Arugula salad.

edit: fixed link

« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 03:47:39 PM by Sylly »

Rachelocity

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2014, 04:03:46 PM »
http://www.chatelaine.com/recipe/vegetarian/quinoa-veggie-burger/

This is a delicious quinoa burger, which is easily doubled and costs pennies per serving.  I prefer it to every commercial veggie burger I've tried.  I usually bake them and then they will be stable enough to reheat on the grill on a piece of tin foil. 

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2014, 04:29:35 PM »
http://naturallyella.com/2010/05/15/roasted-radish-and-asparagus-salad/

^ this is vegetable crack. Seriously. Hot or cold, it's awesome.
We wait until the asparagus is on sale and make a huge batch and it's gone by the next day. Very easy to make and you can make it the day before and chill it, or heat it up later.

jpo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2014, 04:59:54 PM »
Veggie burgers: http://thugkitchen.com/post/51231911542/next-time-someone-tells-you-to-eat-more-veggies although I have not grilled them and suspect that would end in veggie crumbles instead of burgers.

Other things I have made for parties:
Cobb salad: http://www.thekitchn.com/quick-dinner-recipe-barbecue-chicken-cobb-salad-recipes-from-the-kitchn-194444. Separate the ingredients so the vegetarians can keep it vegetarian.
Pulled pork sandwiches: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FPVihb1e9VgqWoPKQ_tnXvMi6PtkRdLgV-YRQ_WxUCo/edit?usp=sharing. Super easy and tasty.
Enchilada soup: http://www.thekitchn.com/slow-cooker-recipe-chicken-enchilada-soup-recipes-from-the-kitchn-193675

iwasjustwondering

• Bristles
Re: Memorial Day BBQ menu
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2014, 08:02:25 PM »
WAIT!!!  Stop the presses.  I take back my quinoa-grilled-in-peppers idea.  You should put the quinoa salad in tomato halves instead.  Peppers can cost up to $4 apiece.  Tomatoes are much more mustachian.  Plus the juice will seep into the quinoa and make it all roasty and awesome.  For the non-vegans, you can put some parmesan cheese on top.  Throw some basil and oil into the quinoa salad if you go this route.  you will not regret it!  Tomatoes have flatter tops and bottoms, too, making them less like to tip over on the grill.  Just make sure they are on the coolest part of the grill.  Awesome.  I am going to do this myself one of these days.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 08:04:27 PM by iwasjustwondering »

DollarBill

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2014, 08:10:40 PM »
I wouldn't plan to serve anything beyond Dogs and Burgers. The vegetarian and pescetarians have a will to survive and it sounds like there will be enough salads or other items to make it through a party. P.S. I didn't know what a pescetarians was until I looked it up. Plus, I'm a meat eater and I'd be happy with the side items you posted they sound tasty.

Edamame Corn Salad:
2 cups edamame; cooked and shelled   
1 1/2 cups corn kernels   
1/2 cup red bell pepper diced   
1/2 cup red onion diced   
1 cup black beans   
2 tbsp cilantro chopped   
1  lime; juiced   
3/4 tsp salt   
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
a little rice wine vinegar or sugar to sweeten it up     
I don't add ginger or garlic but you can experiment.
Original recipe makes 6 Servings

or

North Carolina Slaw:
1 large head of cabbage, finely shredded
1 medium bell pepper, finely chopped
1 medium sweet onions, finely chopped
2 carrots, grated

Dressing:
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon celery seed
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 cup cider vinegar
I don't like slaw with mayonnaise.

or

Look up "Chucks famous mac and cheese" but I would add a little milk and sub the bread crumbs with Panko bread crumbs. Always a winner, easy to make and you can make a lighter version with light or fat free Cheeses.

I always go for items that I can make the day before so it's less tasking and you can enjoy yourself more.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2014, 08:13:40 PM »
Peppers can cost up to $4 apiece.

whaaaat? where do you buy your peppers? mine are $0.70 each

jpdcpajd

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2014, 12:39:38 AM »
I believe you should have you party and provide what the majority (or dare I say you) would like.  If they have other diet needs they are accustomed to either eating in advanced or adjusting but I am getting a little tired of the minority making people adjust to avoid offending them. You are not running a restaurant  I know diabetics who do not expect people to plan a meal around them but they find food that meets their needs. I just do not think this is expected in a private party.