Author Topic: MMM type of truck to haul toys  (Read 5122 times)

thesis

• Bristles
Re: MMM type of truck to haul toys
« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2020, 07:54:55 AM »
I did have a laugh at the title, but to be fair we all have our preferences in life, no need to follow the MMM blog religiously :-)

Anyone know if there is a big difference in driving safety in the Colorado mountains with snow with a diesel work van or diesel truck?

I've driven sedans my whole life, so you may need to take my advice with a grain of salt, but the mountains can be pretty windy and I think that'd be a lot scarier in a van, which is going to be more easily buffeted by the wind. For ice, it's also a good idea to keep your center of gravity low, and a truck probably does a better job at that. Besides, trucks are very common, and I think that would make it easier to find parts, etc. But do yourself a favor and get some winter tires. With winter tires on a good truck, you'll be a beast in the snow and ice, but never let it get to your head: guys in big trucks can still get wrapped around poles when they don't take the ice seriously. It happens.

Good luck! There is a huge selection of trucks around, I'm sure you can find a good deal.

StashingAway

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2020, 08:31:52 AM »
Besides, trucks are very common, and I think that would make it easier to find parts, etc.

The vans we'd be talking about here are full sized vans, which share almost their entire drivetrain with equivalent trucks. In other words, parts are ridiculously easy to find for them. An E-150 is basically an F-150, an Astro is basically an S-10 pickup, etc. It's part of the appeal of full sized vans for many scenarios. Maybe a few different suspension parts are different in the front end. Plus, they're nice for winter with all of the dry storage available. On the highways in the flats the wind profile will make a difference, but once you get in the mountains it's not likely your limiting factor. The easy solution to this is to drive slower when it's windy.

joe189man

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2020, 10:16:12 AM »

Anyone know if there is a big difference in driving safety in the Colorado mountains with snow with a diesel work van or diesel truck?

i used to take I-70 near every weekend to go snowboarding in the winters before i had kids, i drove two different diesel trucks and a mazda hatchback, friends drove all manner of cars, trucks and SUVs. Tires matter most vs anything else, and good brakes. towing in the mountains you don't want to be lacking for power.

i towed a boat and a car with the diesel truck, you couldn't feel anything back there, as in the trailers were not noticeable.

also do what every makes you happy, boats are awesome, snowmobiles are awesome, atvs are awesome. Diesel trucks were super fun but i sold mine because i didnt need/want them anymore. i wouldnt hesitate to get another if i could find a reason to have one

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2020, 04:37:00 PM »
Thank you for the advice on winter driving with van and truck in Colorado mountains. I am familiar with the driving conditions in a car, but not a van or truck. I currently drive a 2007 Pontiac Vibe. I have been driving to the Colorado mountains in the winter for about 15-20 times/year since 2006. Mostly along I-70, but more recently Highway 9 from Fairplay to Breckenridge.

StashingAway

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #54 on: September 21, 2020, 05:02:26 PM »
Thank you for the advice on winter driving with van and truck in Colorado mountains. I am familiar with the driving conditions in a car, but not a van or truck. I currently drive a 2007 Pontiac Vibe. I have been driving to the Colorado mountains in the winter for about 15-20 times/year since 2006. Mostly along I-70, but more recently Highway 9 from Fairplay to Breckenridge.

Chains help a lot in a van in sketchy conditions (although I have mostly used them on forest roads; generally snow tires are more than enough on I-70). They're actually decently capable with RWD because they have more weight in the back (compared to a RWD car). Remember, chains go on the powered wheels, so you'll put them on the rear if you get a van.

joe189man

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #55 on: September 22, 2020, 09:18:14 AM »
i never had an issue with needing chains with my trucks, or friends cars/suvs, 4wd always fixed any traction issues for me, good tires in snow are a must, and i think a law now on I-70

hoosier pass can be sketch in the winter, as i am sure you know,

to be honest, for what you want to haul and how far, a 1 ton or 3/4 ton diesel may be overkill, if they are in your budget a 1/2 ton Ram may be a good option with the 3.0 liter diesel, or even a gas truck would probably work

you are towing the boat on mostly flat land, two snowmobiles are not heavy - maybe 2-3,000 lbs with trailer? a friend would tow a single sled up the mountains in a tacoma for reference.   

let us know what you decide           

nickinak

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #56 on: September 29, 2020, 05:51:38 PM »
Just a couple points to consider....

If you don't already own the boat, might renting one be an option?  If you did that for a few times you might decide owning one isn't worth the extra costs in both money and time. 

A second thing to consider if you decide to get the truck or van is to check rental car agencies for their vehicle sales.  Right now some of them are selling very close to new vehicles at greatly reduced prices.  Some of the larger companies have trucks and vans that might meet your needs.  And they have at least been maintained with some consistency.  I know Hertz was selling a lot of vehicles in their hub locations to raise cash. 

joe189man

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2021, 09:40:33 AM »
@clarkfan1979

did you pick a toy hauler?

SnipTheDog

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #58 on: January 05, 2021, 10:28:21 AM »
Small trucks might be able to tow the boat OK, but really suck when it comes to braking.  They just aren't built to brake all that well.  A full sized truck/van/suv will have better braking and will be able to handle a heavier load.  4WD > AWD.

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #59 on: January 05, 2021, 01:04:51 PM »
@clarkfan1979

I'm still 2 years out from buying something. My son is 3 years old. I think he would need to be at least 5 years old to water ski.

I actually had 10 acres of land under contract (30 minutes south of Breckenridge) because of a large price reduction. This was in November. It was perfect for snowmobiling and a house build in 5-10 years. After the due diligence period, I found out that the road leading to the lot is not snowplowed. They advertised the road as snowplowed. The deal fell through. I'm currently fighting to get my $1500 earnest money back.

WSUCoug1994

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #60 on: January 06, 2021, 09:55:08 AM »
@clarkfan1979

I'm still 2 years out from buying something. My son is 3 years old. I think he would need to be at least 5 years old to water ski.

Age 3.5 ;)

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #61 on: August 27, 2021, 10:13:11 PM »
I went to Boise, ID to visit a friend August 3-9. We went wakeboarding 3 days. He has a 18 ft. boat with a 210 HP engine. It's a 1993 and it cost him 10K last year. He hauls it with a Toyota Sequoia.

I would like to get a deck boat with trailer for around 15K. I really like the Hurricane Sun Deck. My dad has one. One of my friends had one and he put a wakeboarding tower on it. Really good wake with 3-4 guys sitting in the back. For 15K, I think that would get me in the years (2000-2005).

I think the 188 OB is the lightest option with a dry weight of 2425 pounds and wet weight of 3,300 pounds. It has a smaller gas tank at 36 gallons. Add a trailer of 700 pounds and I'm at 4,000 pounds.

The 2005-2012 Nissan Pathfinder has a tow capacity of 6,000 pounds. Those are 4K to 10K on craigslist.

I was way-off on the weight of a snowmobile trailer. The trailer is 350 pounds and each sled is 500 pounds. Add 150 pounds for gear and you are at 1,500 pounds.

I'm waiting until May 2022 to pull the trigger. It's mostly because of my job. Automobile will be first. Most likely the Nissan. I probably can't afford to buy the snowmobiles and the boat in the same year. I'm leaning toward buying the snowmobiles first, but I'm not 100% sure.