Author Topic: Card rewards that won't vanish  (Read 1526 times)

RusticBohemian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Card rewards that won't vanish
« on: August 18, 2021, 12:14:54 PM »
Due to recent travel constraints and some unexpected spending I was able to turn into credit card reward points, I've got more flight/hotel points than I can use before they expire.

Normally I just cancel reward cards after the first year to avoid the annual fee, but I might be stuck paying this year.

But now I've got a $7k surgery I need to have done, and I might as well use it to get some points/bonuses. But I really only want it if the points aren't going to expire on me/force fees on me.

What do you guys suggest? Should I just go with cash back?

tomorrowsomewherenew

• Stubble
Re: Card rewards that won't vanish
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2021, 05:33:20 PM »
I'd just get cash back, or maybe some American hotel chain points. Pre-pandemic our family traveled a lot, but now....where would I go and why would I go there? Even at national parks things seem to be pretty limited. I doubt we'll spend more than a handful of nights at a hotel in the next year.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2021, 05:44:04 PM »
Related, I just remembered and used up most of 128k Marriott points that I accrued about 15 years ago. It was a nice treat.

RusticBohemian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2021, 06:13:14 PM »
Do those Marriot points expire? What if you don't have an active card that accrues them?

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2021, 06:16:46 PM »
Most of the time you can redeem them for cash/ gift cards at a slightly lower rate. Sometimes you can trade them for another kind of points too. You can also sometimes transfer them to another card from the same company, even one in your spouse's name. For example I transferred points from my chase business card to a personal card to take advantage of pyb last year.

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2021, 06:18:50 PM »
I'm not aware of an airline or hotel reward program that requires you to hold the credit card, the card is just one of many possible ways to earn points. Many of these programs will expire all your points if you don't earn or use any points for a certain period of time. The credit card can help you keep pushing that date forward, but is far from the only way of doing so. In the past I've done things like taking surveys to earn a few hundred points and reset the clock, or subscribe to some magazine for a couple thousand points, or transfer a thousand Chase points to the program, or something of this nature.

Duke03

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2021, 07:31:33 PM »
The best is Southwest points if you value airline miles and Chase Ultimate rewards if you value everything under the sun because they are so universal.  Southwest Points never expire and chase stay active as long as you have a CC that earns UR points.  Plenty of no fee CC options out there if you want to save points for a rainy day.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2021, 09:05:19 PM »
A lot of programs that used to having "expiring points" now have "points never expire" policies that were implemented during the pandemic. So, you might want to call a customer service rep and double check the details of when these points expire (if ever.) Doesn't mean that they won't change their policies back, but at the moment there is a chance the expiration date has been postponed or eliminated entirely . . . it's worth asking.

NextTime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2021, 11:00:20 PM »
Do those Marriot points expire? What if you don't have an active card that accrues them?

On the Marriott rewards website, you can actually donate a small amount of points to charity, which will reset your expiration date. I did that last year.

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2021, 11:04:41 AM »
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/best-current-credit-card-sign-bonuses/

Here's a list of the best current credit card bonuses from a website that doesn't take $ from banks for referring customers.  Work your way down the list until you find a card that meets your needs.  Some are cash back.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2021, 11:41:44 AM »
Yup - love the reviews for each card on doctor of credit and the comments that discuss the pitfalls and/or awesome user tips and experiences.

My favorite card is military-only credit union NFCU, awesome travel rewards, great special deals, cashback, and only a $49 annual fee.
Currently 5x points dining and delivery until Aug 31. Just got $138 credit for using this card to pay my annual Amazon Prime subscription.
You know stuff people actually use or do. Because of all their travel goodies, I got $600 cashback on my last big trip and they give me free cell phone insurance since I pay my bill with their card.

My newest favorite is a bitcoin cashback card with some attractive perks and no annual fee.
Found both via doctor of credit.

I don't have any cards where the points expire but Mr. R. has a BOA card that he had forever and apparently routinely let the points expire, never using them until I came along. Paid for all of our family Christmas gifts the first year that I took over the rewards. He thought of the rewards as point-pennies that he couldn't be bothered with...:).

Just cashed in for $100 Amazon GC. For people who don't really spend very much at all that's pretty damn good.

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2021, 09:58:52 AM »
I just focus on the rewards that pay cash back or statement credit.
They really push the travel aspect but then you're just spending more on the travel.
I have traveled a bunch but now in middle age I'm not that interested in it.
Instead of traveling to an awesome place I live in one.
Except for Maui, I want to go there once every five years minimum!

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2021, 07:14:45 AM »
You can sell pretty much any points/miles through a miles broker.  This will usually get you more than redeeming for statement credit.

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2021, 01:00:11 PM »
You can sell pretty much any points/miles through a miles broker.  This will usually get you more than redeeming for statement credit.

Consider carefully before you do this.  I will surely violate the credit card issuers rules and could result in forfeiting points or being blacklisted by that issuer.  Chances of that happening might be low but still...

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2021, 05:25:19 AM »

Consider carefully before you do this.  I will surely violate the credit card issuers rules and could result in forfeiting points or being blacklisted by that issuer.  Chances of that happening might be low but still...

Yes, it is probably possible.  However, in 15+ transactions with Citi Thankyou points, Chase Ultimate rewards points, American Airlines miles, Alaska miles, Jetblue miles, Hilton points, and Hyatt points, I haven't had an issue.  I just don't want to sit on a million points that continually get devalued.

Saving in Austin

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2021, 12:57:58 PM »
I've used The Miles Broker before and had good luck.

info@themilesbroker.com