Author Topic: Mattress Research - Anyone Tried Japanese Futons?  (Read 4907 times)

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
Mattress Research - Anyone Tried Japanese Futons?
« on: September 11, 2018, 03:01:16 PM »
Howdy,
My lower back is grumpy, and thus I am grumpy.
I have never before purchased my own bed/mattress-- they have always been familial cast offs (usually decent quality, as I have some Fancy People in my family).
But it's been a solid 5 years since the last cast off, and I'm thinking maybe the bed might be a contributing factor to my stiffness.
(I'm 30, for the record).

I'm very intrigued and interested in latex mattresses, but wow $$$...
In researching other firm options, I am also now intrigued by Japanese futons.

Looking for floor sleepers who have feedback for me in terms of how comfortable it is for westerners who are not used to sleeping like that, and if it has been good/neutral for back stuff.
:)
And anything else you'd like to share.

Useful details:
I sleep alone
I am a 'normal' weight woman
I currently sleep on a twin sized bed

Thank you for your help!

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Mattress Research - Anyone Tried Japanese Futons?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 05:47:47 PM »
I didn't buy a traditional futon, but I did sleep on the floor on this for several months:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B004LQ1RE2

Pretty darn comfy, overall.

Another thing to consider: when I had back pain, I found that a standing desk at work really helped. Not sure if that's an option for you, but if so it's worth looking into. The general health claims for such desks turn out to be a bit overblown (and I almost never stand now that I'm feeling better), but it worked wonders back (no pun) when I had trouble even sitting in my office chair (ironically because of poor ergonomics in a lab bench I used to stand/hunch over at).

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 06:23:52 PM »
I haven't tried the futons, but the Zinus memory foam is a great mattress if price is an issue: https://amzn.to/2oWXmhw

Tons of good reviews on Amazon, Frugalwoods, and elsewhere in this forum.  There are different thicknesses to get either softer or firmer.

bognish

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2018, 12:10:36 PM »
Traditional futons are thin so they can be picked up and put in a closet during the day. Light and easy to move around. Easy to fluff up and keep the stuffing evenly distributed. This also makes them very firm, or little padding between you and the floor.

So in the US you can get thicker futons (8" or so) that will have more cushioning. The down side it they are hard to move and impossible to fluff up. You end up with a packed down grove from where you normally sleep like a really cheap mattress. They are also impossible to clean. I slept on an 8" futon for years and it was just fine. My spouse was having none of it and it did not last past the bachelor pad.

Lanthiriel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2018, 01:15:31 PM »
I am also 30 and have a bad back (family history of spinal stenosis). I have slept on both memory foam and latex mattresses and they just seem to break down or don't hold their shape well after a few years. I admittedly am buying cheap mattresses. With this latest round, I tried dozens of mattresses and bought the Sealy Posturepedic West Salem mattress from Costco ($530 for a King). It is VERY firm, which I need. I think I picked mine up in March and it's been great. The best sleep of my life for a very reasonable price point.

Better Change

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2018, 08:33:51 AM »
I have friends who tried to go ultra minimalist in the Bay Area.  They had a Japanese futon.  Their experiment lasted all of two years - they upgraded their apartment and bought a bed with a mattress.  Data point of one, but I think they eventually hated that thing.

I echo the suggestion to check your posture at work.  Think about core exercises, too.  Do you have a strong core?  Are your hamstrings and hips weak sauce like most people who sit at a desk all day?  All of these things can affect your back. 

Also...HOW do you sleep?

You might not need a new bed after all.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2018, 08:49:28 AM »
I've slept on a futon on the floor for decades.  It's fantastic for your back (going to a soft bed usually ensures a sore back for me).

One thing that I would caution you about . . . lift your futon up off the floor every day, especially if you live in a warm/humid climate.  Otherwise your sweat can sink through the futon and start mold on the floor beneath.

Japanese futons are lightly padded, and would be best to use on carpet (they're designed for use on tatami mat, which is reasonably soft to begin with).  I wouldn't want to use one on hardwood, concrete, or tile.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2018, 09:02:42 AM »
Thank you all for your replies.

@Better Change -- It's absolutely possible I do not need a new bed. It's something I'm exploring, and someday it will need to happen, even if that day is not today.
Re: back issues.
Yes-- there are some underlying issues that I'm working for back stuff congruently to this. I'm also trying to look at this as a whole-picture issue. It seems like this is a frequent place of discomfort for people, and no reason not to consider a frugal (er) option that is also good for backs.

@GuitarStv Thanks -- I have hardwood floors so agree I would either need to lay down some blankets to put the futon on, or get tatami mats.

@Lanthiriel -- You expressed exactly my concern about the foam ones. I know they work for people, but I also don't want to be replacing a cheap bed every 3 years. It just seems really wasteful...

Thank you all!

magnet18

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2018, 12:42:14 PM »
Have not tried that futon, but I got my mattress from Brooklyn bedding and was very happy with the cost/quality ratio

Edit to say i went with them because I was looking for a latex hybrid, and they were the only one i found at a reasonable price

Had it for 2 years and it was as good as new the day we got rid of it
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 01:02:03 PM by magnet18 »

FoundPeace

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2018, 06:19:42 PM »
My kids slept on Japanese futons for the first few years of their lives, and my brother slept on one for about 5 years (until he got married). I found them to be very comfortable. If it is something you are interested in, then go for it! They are cheap, comfortable, and minimalistic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

letired

• Pencil Stache
    • Needs More Glitter
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2018, 07:35:08 PM »
I slept on a 'fake' futon, similar to the one linked (8in, coils inside cotton batting), for ~10 years. I loved it, and feel like it held up very well. Everyone who has slept on it gave it good reviews. It had very little/no bounce, let you sink in a little, but no further. I feel like it would have held up longer if I'd been more contentious about flipping/turning it. I still have it as a guest bed, but the middle where I slept eventually had too much of a dent for me to sleep on it every night. It was definitely on the firm side, which I prefer, but not something I'd categorize as terribly firm.

I tried the internet foam mattress recommended by the Frugalwoods that that is an Exceptionally Firm mattress. It made my hips and shoulders hurt (I'm a side sleeper).

I eventually settled on the more expensive foam mattress from Lessa. If I could have found something more similar to my old mattress with a decent return policy, I'd have done that.

Ecky

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2018, 04:58:20 AM »
I sleep on a Japanese futon, but I got a slightly thicker version than is typical.

https://www.futonbedsfromjapan.com/futon-shikibuton-mattress

I wouldn't say that I have a bad back (yet) but it runs in my family, and it was not uncommon for me to wake with aches on my previous memory foam topper + traditional mattress. It's been about 8 months now and I sleep a lot better on the futon.

Mine is laid on a padded carpet floor. I'd definitely have something between it and hardwood.

Mrs.Piano

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2018, 10:49:59 PM »
I slept on a 3 inch Japanese futon for about 20 years. It was great and I loved it, but now I have been spoiled by it and cannot sleep on soft beds. Literally, I have to sleep on the floor in most hotels and friends’ houses.

morjax

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2018, 01:11:41 PM »
I just picked up a Tuft & Needle twin mattress about 10 days ago and Oh. My. Gosh. It is the most comfortable bed I've every personally touched. I got the ""Mint" version which is the deluxe flavor at $650. The standard mattress, which they built their business on, runs $350.

Previous to this, I''d been sleeping on the couch for a year or two (SO has a very hard time falling asleep with me in the bed), and I'd wake up sore every morning. Since getting the Tuft & Needle, I'm feeling shockingly rested each day as compared to how much sleep I've gotten. I'd recommend them without reservation.

P.S. Although I dearly wish I was, I promise I'm not on the payroll! XD

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2018, 02:25:58 PM »
Thank you to everyone who has weighed in about futons. To be clear, I am still not currently looking at foam/internet beds.
My aunt is sending me a futon she bought in person from Japantown in San Francisco that should be arriving hopefully today. Total expenditure including ridiculous shipping cost should be about $250.
I'll report back on how things go in a few weeks.
:)