Author Topic: Math help, please!!  (Read 6346 times)

Groovin Old Hippie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Math help, please!!
« on: June 24, 2015, 07:35:33 PM »
I have a 10 X 14 space where I need to completely cover the floor with yoga mats that are 24W X 68L.  Can someone please tell me how many mats I'll need. I only learned basic math. Thanks.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
Re: Math help, please!!
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 08:22:23 PM »
No way to do it without overlapping or cutting. Is that okay?

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2015, 08:28:22 PM »
Lots of answers, if you're willing to leave a gap somewhere.

Those mats are 2 feet wide, and your room is an even number of feet in dimension.  You can use 10 mats to do 2 rows of 5 across of 2' mats on the 10' side an have a leftover 32 inches on the 14' side, or you can use 7 mats to do 1 row of 7 across of the 2' mats on the 14' side and have 52 inches left over on the 10' side.

Or you can cut some mats.

Groovin Old Hippie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2015, 08:31:35 PM »
No way to do it without overlapping or cutting. Is that okay?
Yes, cutting is fine.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2015, 08:36:55 PM »
If you want a nice even pattern, buy 14 mats and cut 8 inches off of each one. Have two rows of 7 with the length against the short wall. If you want the least number of mats, you can buy 13. Leave 10 full size and cut 3 into 6 32 inch lengths. You will only use 5 of those. The length will be against the long wall.

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2015, 08:38:05 PM »
I have a 10 X 14 space where I need to completely cover the floor with yoga mats that are 24W X 68L.  Can someone please tell me how many mats I'll need. I only learned basic math. Thanks.
Assuming the space is in feet and the mats are in inches.

Convert the space to inches: 120 x 168.  Area in square inches is 120*168 = 20160
Area of one mat = 24*68 = 1632

If everything fit perfectly, you would need 20160/1632 = 12.353 mats.  Because that answer is not a round number (aka integer) we know (as pbkmaine said) that the fit is not perfect, and you will have to "cut & paste" (so to speak) to get complete coverage.  If the mats are easily cuttable, then you need 13 and will have some left over.

Note: even if the division gives an integer one might still have to cut the mats to fit, but we'll leave that for another time.

hope2retire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2015, 08:59:07 PM »
you need 14. How much you care for the design. If you want it to be neat, stack the 2 ft side(7 of these) of the mat along the 14 ft side for the upper half. then use the other 7 for the lower half. Now you have a choice of cutting one set of 7 mats for the remaining length. The center of the room will be off-set from the meeting lines of the two adjacent mats. If you are a sucker for symmetry, then cut all the yoga mats to be 2x5ft instead of the original size of 2x5'8'' that you have mentioned. Then you can neatly arrange all the 14. you can get different colors to alternate to give the effect. You will also have extra pieces left that you can use for something on the wall.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 09:03:49 PM by hope2retire »

hope2retire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2015, 09:15:29 PM »
The reason i dont like cutting all 14,( which will be symmetric) instead of just 7 (unsymmetric) is because that would give me the option of selling the 7 mats if i do not require them anymore in the future.

Blonde Lawyer

• Pencil Stache
    • My Student Loan Refi Story
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2015, 09:25:14 PM »
I'm super curious what you are doing with the space!

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2015, 09:25:47 PM »
OK, I'm curious. Why would anyone want to completely cover a room with yoga mats?

Metta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2015, 09:33:04 PM »
Alternatively, you can buy mats on a roll and cut to the size you need:

http://www.yogaaccessories.com/yoga-accessories-1-8-inch-classic-yoga-mat-roll.html

"Save money by cutting your own yoga mats! If you are looking for the most cost-effective way to furnish a yoga studio, you've come to the right place. Order our Classic 1/8" Yoga Mat Roll, cut the mats yourself with an easy-to-use rotary cutter, and you'll pay as little as $6 per mat! Each roll is 103" long which cuts into 17 extra long mats (72") or 18 traditional mats (68"). You are buying a roll of generic, non-skid, open cell, durable yoga mats at the standard 1/8" thickness. Perfect for furnishing studios, gyms, and schools!"

They also have thicker mats sold by the roll.

driftwood

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2015, 05:36:29 AM »
The use of these mats determines what you should do.  I'm confused by the yoga mat part too.  If it's for yoga, then most people need more space than the mat provides.  14 full mats edge-to-edge does not equal 14 people doing yoga at the same time.  Most yoga mats are spaced out on a harder surface.  If you're trying to end up with a padded floor, there are many different options for workout mats, and one may fit the space better/cost less. 

Ricky

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2015, 06:38:05 AM »

13 total, 11 re-usable.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 08:32:02 AM by Ricky »

Groovin Old Hippie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2015, 01:40:35 PM »
Thank you for all of your help!  Especially MDM for teaching me how to figure it out!!  And thank you, Metta for the link.  I never knew they were available in rolls.  The mats are to cover the floor of a tent.  We wanted something that was cushy, re-configurable, easy to clean and wouldn't take up much space during transport.  We thought being able to cut them and replace them as they wear out made the mats well-suited to our needs. Thank you, again.  This community is the best :)

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2015, 02:06:50 PM »
The mats are to cover the floor of a tent.  We wanted something that was cushy, re-configurable, easy to clean and wouldn't take up much space during transport.  We thought being able to cut them and replace them as they wear out made the mats well-suited to our needs. Thank you, again.  This community is the best :)

You could also consider foam tiles. (I have no opinion about buying from the site linked; it's just an example.)

Groovin Old Hippie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2015, 02:18:33 PM »
Foam tiles were our first thought but we decided they would take up too much space in the car.  Thank you for the link.  Going to check into a few of their items for the grandkid.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2015, 02:34:49 PM »
Foam tiles were our first thought but we decided they would take up too much space in the car.  Thank you for the link.

Yoga mats of the same thickness and compressibility would take up the same amount of space.

Metta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2015, 03:29:00 PM »
Thank you for all of your help!  Especially MDM for teaching me how to figure it out!!  And thank you, Metta for the link.  I never knew they were available in rolls.  The mats are to cover the floor of a tent.  We wanted something that was cushy, re-configurable, easy to clean and wouldn't take up much space during transport.  We thought being able to cut them and replace them as they wear out made the mats well-suited to our needs. Thank you, again.  This community is the best :)

I think Yoga Accessories has some of the better prices on yoga equipment and I've had very good experiences dealing with them. Generally buying by the roll is the cheapest way to go.... Unless you only need two yoga mats. :)