Author Topic: Mass + creatine supplements  (Read 12649 times)

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
Mass + creatine supplements
« on: February 11, 2015, 04:55:21 PM »
Hi folks,

Does anyone have any recommendations on affordable mass, protein, and creatine phosphate supplements?

Thanks!

MrFrugalChicago

• Bristles
Re: Mass + creatine supplements
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 06:03:46 PM »
You really don't need them. Eat lots of wholesome nutritious food.

*I did find when I was lifting weights 5 days a week that a small amount of creatine was nice. Got now brand off of amazon.com. Nothing from GFC or such as those all have filler and sugar or fake sugar. I just got 100% creatine and mixed it with juice.

Really though, its a small boost. Eat whole natural foods and you will probably do better.

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 06:14:57 PM »
+1 to Now brand creatine. 

Protein can be pretty expensive, maybe try watching Slickdeals for a good deal on some if you need it.  Otherwise just add some real food protein to your diet.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 07:18:18 PM »
Protein powder get from real sources. Less inflammation that way anyway, definitely pays off.

Creatine- I usually avoid GNC, but their baseline creatine is actually the best value I've found. Very boring little tub, white, just says "creatine". They sell it as a loss leader and figure they can get people upsold to the MEGA XXXXXTREME PUMP POWER! or whatever they're selling that week. Same with leucine, if that's your speed- we've found with good diet the other BCAAs aren't worth it, but supping leucine helps if you're doing insulin cycling (ie, do leucine right after a workout to mobilize sugars into muscles- combine with a targeted refeed to really spike your insulin up and get those gains).

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 10:09:25 PM »
I would easily rely on getting protein/weight gain from food sources but there are times when I skip breakfast and that's really bad. Looking for a meal replacement for on-the-go kind of schedules.

Thanks for the rec on Now. I'll look into that.

Edit: Which one from this list is good? The first result? http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=now+creatine

bluecheeze

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 10:19:03 PM »
Optimum Nutrition creatine from Amazon is like 10bucks for 3 months supply.  I also set up slickdeals.net alerts to catch Optimum Nutrition Whey 10lb bag sales....usually for $60-70

freeedom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 10:21:54 PM »
Optimum Nutrition creatine from Amazon is like 10bucks for 3 months supply.  I also set up slickdeals.net alerts to catch Optimum Nutrition Whey 10lb bag sales....usually for $60-70

^This. Except I only use the Natural Whey... no sugars. Make sure you get micronized.

Source: Powerlifting is my hobby.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2015, 10:23:49 PM »

Wonderful, thanks! Can you please provide the link so I know the exact one?

freeedom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2015, 10:37:02 PM »

Wonderful, thanks! Can you please provide the link so I know the exact one?

I mix mine with my coffee in the morning.

http://www.amazon.com/Optimum-Nutrition-Creatine-Unflavored-Servings/dp/B002DYIZEO/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1423719326&sr=1-1&keywords=creatine

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2015, 10:45:38 PM »
Sweet deal. Does mixing with milk work/taste well?

bluecheeze

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2015, 10:53:50 PM »
I always found creatine to be very grainy and bland.  I typically add 5g to about 2 shots of water, mix, and chug.  This way you don't get it stuck in your teeth- just personally never liked the feeling.  Sometimes when I need to supplement protein I add it to my shake which can include milk.

In any case- creatine dosn't really taste like anything- just adds texture.

big_owl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2015, 03:20:55 AM »
dpsnutrition.net is the best site I've found over the years - they have basically every single supplement brand out there.  I've been ordering from them for over ten years, probably spent $15k on supplements from that site and they always have excellent service. 

I prefer AST-SS products and have always found them to be extremely high quality.  I currently use their VP2 whey and their creatine.  I use to use their MRP shake as well but they changed up the formula and it didn't agree with me.  I'm currently using the Met-Rx MRP chocolate shake which has proven to be much better for my system.  All ordered from dpsnutrition.  Plus if you spend enough you get a free shirt with each order!  I have dozens of them....

DK

• Stubble

marketnonsenses

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2015, 07:16:55 AM »
I see almost no value in mass or protein powder. Why do you believe that skipping breakfast is bad? If you have a tight schedule look into other ideas. I cant see what mass powder does that a glass of milk doesnt. I know a few powerlifters and some pro fighters. Non of them drink whey or mass powder. 

Either way, Truenutrition has awesome deals.

Louisville

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2015, 07:29:27 AM »
Dude, don't waste money on any of this shit. Why do you need "mass"? Vanity?  Eat regular nutritional food and lift to build STRENGTH, not mass. I realize that they go hand in hand, but only up to a point.
I guess I'm saying it's mind set thing. Saying that you want to build mass just suggests to me that you're lifting for the wrong reasons, pretty boy*. Lift to actually BE strong, not to LOOK strong.
Want protein? Eat lean meat like birds, rodents, and fish.

*Good-natured ribbing. I don't know if you're pretty or not. ;-)

Revelry

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2015, 07:59:20 AM »
Dude, don't waste money on any of this shit. Why do you need "mass"? Vanity?  Eat regular nutritional food and lift to build STRENGTH, not mass. I realize that they go hand in hand, but only up to a point.
I guess I'm saying it's mind set thing. Saying that you want to build mass just suggests to me that you're lifting for the wrong reasons, pretty boy*. Lift to actually BE strong, not to LOOK strong.

It depends on your goals.  Do what makes you happy now and believe will increase your future happiness.
Consistent training and decent diet will take you pretty far.  Legal supplements might add a couple percent to your total progress, but don't use them just to feel like a "lifter" or you think they're absolutely necessary.  They aren't.

Murse

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2015, 08:11:00 AM »

It depends on your goals.  Do what makes you happy now and believe will increase your future happiness.
Consistent training and decent diet will take you pretty far.  Legal supplements might add a couple percent to your total progress, but don't use them just to feel like a "lifter" or you think they're absolutely necessary.  They aren't.
Agreed. I don't care about the reason people exercise, I just care that people do exercise. The truth is that the only reason that most people exercise is to look better and has nothing to do with health. Obesity is a huge problem, frankly I am glad that so many people care about the way they look because otherwise our population would be much more sick then currently. Let's pretend for a moment that exercising had no impact on the way people look and only improved ones health, I have no doubt that >80% of people who do exercise would stop.

I am getting a bit more philosophical here but I believe that as humans we are genetically programmed to want to impress the opposite sex. Based on this belief whatever perception one holds on what the opposite sex wants/cares about leads us to make the decisions that we make every day, including how/if we exercise.

3okirb

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2015, 08:18:16 AM »
I get the cheap 100% creatine at Walmart.  It just take a spoonful and eat it, followed by some gulps of water.  Like taking a pill.  As far as protein, just drink milk and eat chicken.  Better, cheaper and keeps you full longer.

Louisville

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2015, 08:40:30 AM »

Agreed. I don't care about the reason people exercise, I just care that people do exercise. The truth is that the only reason that most people exercise is to look better and has nothing to do with health. Obesity is a huge problem, frankly I am glad that so many people care about the way they look because otherwise our population would be much more sick then currently. Let's pretend for a moment that exercising had no impact on the way people look and only improved ones health, I have no doubt that >80% of people who do exercise would stop. I am getting a bit more philosophical here but I believe that as humans we are genetically programmed to want to impress the opposite sex. Based on this belief whatever perception one holds on what the opposite sex wants/cares about leads us to make the decisions that we make every day, including how/if we exercise.
Good responses, Revelry and FutureNurse.
While I agree that any exercising is better than no exercising, I'd like to think that we're smarter around here than 80% of the people, and we can realize the true, long lasting benefit of exercise. Looking good is very nice, but it isn't even in the same importance ballpark as being strong and healthy.  A good self image should be built on a stronger foundation than physical attractiveness, IMHO.
We've strayed a bit from the OP. Sorry.

bluecheeze

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2015, 08:54:30 AM »
I don't think hitting your protein macro using a shake every once in a while (OP said he missed breakfast sometimes- sounded like it was a time thing) and using creatine to help boost the energy of your workouts (which does lead to increased strength in the gym) is a vanity thing....Supplements are just that- a supplement, they should never be used completely in place of real food and only help to supplement an already effective program.  No you don't need creatine, but for an extra 3 dollars a month when I am lifting 4-5 days per week I think the benefits-strength AND mass gain (really only if you are eating on a surplus)- far out weight the small cost of the product.

AND...I have found that when I look good it is MORE encouragement to work harder and eat healthier.  Creatine will make you look awesome (IMHO) because you just looked jacked after a hard workout which in turn helps you to keep going the rest of the week.

Whey on the other hand is great if you are in a rush every once in a while or your stomach can't handle a full meal.  Personally there are some days after I workout that I can't handle a full meal right after I'm done lifting to get my carbs and protein so a shake helps hitting the marcos and calories.

In any case 10lbs of whey ($80ish) should last you a year and $35ish on creatine a year is not a large amount to spend if you are serious about training.  Your chicken budget will far outweigh anything else I would guess- we spend close to $1000 on chicken alone per year :-)

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2015, 09:01:47 AM »

Because the majority of my life I've been tall and skinny. I'm 6'3" and it's extremely difficult for me to bulk up.

big_owl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2015, 09:36:26 AM »

So you don't have a single mirror in your house, right? 

big_owl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2015, 09:42:50 AM »

Because the majority of my life I've been tall and skinny. I'm 6'3" and it's extremely difficult for me to bulk up.

If you're a true ectomorph, you'll find that the best way to bulk up requires a lot of supplements and lifting more toward the spectrum of a power lifter than a regular bodybuilder (4-6 rep range vs. 6-8 rep range). 

rmendpara

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2015, 11:40:57 AM »
Plenty of good recommendations above, so I'll just add my own ideas for another view.

I also have a cousin with a similar "problem". He's not nearly as tall, but has always been extremely skinny until he started lifting and working out. Putting on size and gaining was difficult since his body basically burned everything. He originally went with mass gainers, which worked fine, but were very expensive (a full year of on and off supply would easily be a few hundred dollars... not including protein). He recommended a DIY fix.

Mass:
1) He bought some carb supplements (search "carb", "complex carb", etc and you'll find a handful)
2) large bags/buckets of quaker oatmeal, plain
3) peanut butter
4) someitmes add in other nuts (walnuts, almonds, whatever you like, etc)

Mix 1+2+3 plus some protein powder (or even without protein) for a heavy shake without too much bad fats.

Protein
For proteins, personally I use optimum nutrition 100% whey. It comes on sale regularly at either GNC or Amazon for ~$55 for 5lb (60+ servings, I believe). Good reviews, and nothing fancy. Just low fat whey protein. Good to add with some of the items above if you need the extra calories.

Creatine/other
Personally, I think this is more of a temporary thing. As soon as you cycle off the stuff, you return to normal very quickly. It may help during a brief bulking period, or something like that, but not really a long term solution. GO with brands that make solid products elsewhere, although you'll get plenty of suggestions. Optimum nutrition and USP labs seem to generally make some good stuff, although there are many others.

The real long term solution is to continue eating plenty of high quality carbs and protein from food sources, not supplements. I'd encourage you to not get more than 20% (average over a month) of protein and/or carbs from supplements, as your body simply doesn't process that as effectively as some kind of food. The shakes and all are good meal replacements on occasion, but don't really solve much.

Happy gainz!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 11:45:11 AM by rmendpara »

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2015, 06:00:33 PM »

Three times a day, eat a giant heaping spoonful of peanut butter (3-4 tablespoons worth) and wash it down with a pint of whole milk.  That will add around 2,000 calories to your daily diet.  If you don't gain weight doing that, go to a doctor.

Murse

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2015, 06:13:48 PM »

Three times a day, eat a giant heaping spoonful of peanut butter (3-4 tablespoons worth) and wash it down with a pint of whole milk.  That will add around 2,000 calories to your daily diet.  If you don't gain weight doing that, go to a doctor.

I wouldn't advise this, you would likely gain weight, but probably a lot more fat then you are hoping for. I guess instead of criticizing others I will give some input. Creatine is up for debate, I personally would not recommend it not because of the financial cost but because I simply don't think that it is needed/worth the hassle. As far as being skinny, have you ever tracked your calories? If you go buy a weight gainer and have never tracked calories/macros you are shooting in the dark. Gaining weight is calories in vs calories out. You need more in then out. Problem is there is no way to find out your true calorie needs except trial and error. There are online calculators to get a guesstimation, but in my experience they can be pretty far off. If your cool with gaining lots of muscle and fat just get a crap ton of calories and you can use a mass gainer to assist, if you want to gain lots of muscle and minimal fat you will have to start counting calories.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2015, 06:15:10 PM »

I'm buying my personal jar of peanut butter this weekend :)
Idk about exaggerating it that much, but I plan on having plenty of PB & Js pre made for when I can't get breakfast.

vagon

• Stubble
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2015, 07:49:40 PM »
194cm (6'4) and 83kgs (182lbs) here, I find it incredibly easy to lose weight and hard to gain.
I successfully bulked up to 96kgs (211lbs) in my early twenties, while still doing plenty of cardio, by following a two fairly simple dietary rules.

• Make sure you have 2 times your kgs in grams of protein a day. So when I started I was making sure I had 170grams (6oz) of protein a day.
  • Eat good quality meals with a source of natural protein until you're full, then drink half a litre of milk.

I don't find eating to this excess pleasant, but it works to gain mass.

Note that I did this to gain weight for sports and would suggest just working on your self-confidence if this is just for aesthetics.

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2015, 08:22:24 PM »
I wouldn't advise this, you would likely gain weight, but probably a lot more fat then you are hoping for.

Yeah, that advice was mostly aimed at debunking the myth that some people are incapable of gaining weight.  If you want to gain muscle, I'd shoot for around a 500 calorie surplus daily.

Murse

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2015, 07:26:22 AM »
I wouldn't advise this, you would likely gain weight, but probably a lot more fat then you are hoping for.

Yeah, that advice was mostly aimed at debunking the myth that some people are incapable of gaining weight.  If you want to gain muscle, I'd shoot for around a 500 calorie surplus daily.

In that case I agree. Skinny guys have one of two problems, or a combination. A)they don't eat enough to gain weight and b) they have a higher metabolism. The solution in both cases is to eat more calories. It is actually quite funny how humans always think that the "other side of the fence is greener." I have had friends tell me that they are jealous because I don't seem to need to eat very much to gain weight. Truth is I am a bit jealous that they get to eat so many more calories then I do, if I ate the things they did I would gain a crap ton of weight.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2015, 09:08:28 AM »

I was dealing with the same thing at 6' ~150lbs. I went up to 182lbs and strength skyrocketed...then I slacked off again and I'm back in the 160lb range. However, it's certainly possible even for the perpetually-skinny crowd. This is what I used -- http://stronglifts.com/gomad-milk-squats-gallon-gain-weight/

freeedom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2015, 09:54:45 PM »
Anyone saying creatine isn't worth the cost obviously doesn't even lift. The creatine you were linked to costs $15. I'm just about finished a container I bought a full 12 months ago, and I'm in the gym 4 days a week. It's one of the only supplements proven to be effective for increasing energy and aiding the building of lean muscle.

You don't NEED to it, but it helps. If you want to get it, but mix it with juice or coffee. Studies have shown its way less effective in water. I just mix mine with my coffee in the morning.

bigalsmith101

• Pencil Stache
  • Yes, that's really my face.
    • No Jobs, No Responsibilities, No Better Time then Now
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2015, 01:15:33 AM »
You don't NEED to it, but it helps. If you want to get it, but mix it with juice or coffee. Studies have shown its way less effective in water. I just mix mine with my coffee in the morning.

How are you trying to make sense of this? You mix your creatine into your coffee, which is 98.75% WATER. Yet it's measurable more affective then water alone? Must be the sugar in your coffee/juice that makes a difference.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2015, 06:29:21 AM »
To add an echo, creatine is one of the VERY FEW supplements worth taking.

5g a day, any time, with any thing. My hobbies are powerlifting and drug free bodybuilding. Over the years I've learned that 99% of it is your diet, training, and consistency. Supplements can give you a small edge, creatine as absolutely worth it. You get a short term boost to strength and endurance, which compounds into long term strength/size gains from better performance day after day, month after month etc.

I figured we would have some workout buffs on the boards here, many of the principles applied to this lifestyle can be applied to finance.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2015, 08:46:34 AM »

How are you trying to make sense of this? You mix your creatine into your coffee, which is 98.75% WATER. Yet it's measurable more affective then water alone? Must be the sugar in your coffee/juice that makes a difference.

Caffeine attenuates effects. Also, it's more soluble in hot liquid than cold.

GoCubsGo

• Bristles
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2015, 09:04:15 AM »
+1 on Optimum Nutrition Creatine from Amazon.. buy a small amount first though as Creatine can cause intestinal turbulence in some people.  For those who are lactose intolerant (don't like whey) or veg/vegan, I use Orgain Protein Powder (Costco now sells it!).  PB2 dehydrated peanuts go in my oatmeal every morning for a low fat protein boost.

Add me to the camp who thinks Creatine is a great bang for your buck, especially if you work out 4 or more days a week.  I would guess those who knock it haven't tried it or don't work out heavily.  As for why someone would want to work out, what do people care what their reason is?? Seriously, would it be better for them to sit on a couch?  Lean muscle boosts your metabolism and yes you do happen to look better.  Most people that ARE strong also happen to LOOK strong. 

TheGibberingPotato

• Stubble
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2015, 09:59:11 AM »
I used creatine for ~6 months during college; when I mentioned it to some doctors while I was at the ER (for unrelated reasons), they rolled their eyes and said something to the effect of that stuff is no good for you in the long run.  Since then, I've stopped.  I've always found general diet to be far more important than supplements.

DK

• Stubble
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2015, 06:02:49 PM »

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2015, 10:23:21 PM »
+1 on Optimum Nutrition Creatine from Amazon.. buy a small amount first though as Creatine can cause intestinal turbulence in some people.  For those who are lactose intolerant (don't like whey) or veg/vegan, I use Orgain Protein Powder (Costco now sells it!).  PB2 dehydrated peanuts go in my oatmeal every morning for a low fat protein boost.

Add me to the camp who thinks Creatine is a great bang for your buck, especially if you work out 4 or more days a week.  I would guess those who knock it haven't tried it or don't work out heavily.  As for why someone would want to work out, what do people care what their reason is?? Seriously, would it be better for them to sit on a couch?  Lean muscle boosts your metabolism and yes you do happen to look better.  Most people that ARE strong also happen to LOOK strong.

I like the feeling of exercising. I feel all good overall. It also helps a lot against acne and breakouts by opening pores. I didn't care as much about the looks in my past 5 or so years of playing sports and being active. I guess now that I'm in the "fill out" type of stage though it's worth a try to get a little bulk.

DSKla

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2015, 10:33:00 PM »
Another vote for creatine. It works. However, more so as a strength supplement than a mass supplement. The crappy old creatine used to cause a lot of water retention that looked like mass, but the more recent stuff doesn't seem to add a huge amount of water, and creatine phosphate is fuel for the phosphagen energy system, which means sub-10 second, maximal efforts. In other words, strength/power but not really mass.

For mass, a massive protein intake via real foods will help you out a lot. I.E. Meats and eggs. Don't go too low carb, either. Just don't grt dirty with them.

FastStache

• Bristles
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2015, 08:37:45 AM »

Bulking up is a very simple problem. Let me put it this way, if you were failing in school you would increase the amount of hours you were studying, change what you were doing or a combination of the 2.

To really go in the right direction you need to know where you are.

Do you know how many calories you currently eat?
What is your macro split?
If you aren't gaining weight..... Eat more.
Supplements won't do anything if you don't have enough calories. Start there.
Plus make sure you are getting lots of sleep.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2015, 08:45:50 AM »
Some excellent advice in this thread.

However to clarify, don't buy into the hype of creatine phosphate, creatine hydrocloride, creatine ethyl ester, etc.....

......good ol' monohydrate is and always will be the most efficient. The others are just marketing to get your hard earned $$.

And yes, diet is key, calorie is king. You can't replace sheer calories with supplements. All "mass gainer" shakes are is overpriced powdered calories. Normal "serving size" is 200-300g of powder. Which is an insane amount to drink in a sitting. Just eat calorie dense foods that you don't get sick of.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2015, 10:44:56 AM »
Some excellent advice in this thread.

However to clarify, don't buy into the hype of creatine phosphate, creatine hydrocloride, creatine ethyl ester, etc.....

......good ol' monohydrate is and always will be the most efficient. The others are just marketing to get your hard earned $$.

And yes, diet is key, calorie is king. You can't replace sheer calories with supplements. All "mass gainer" shakes are is overpriced powdered calories. Normal "serving size" is 200-300g of powder. Which is an insane amount to drink in a sitting. Just eat calorie dense foods that you don't get sick of.

I got several loaves of bread, peanut butter, and jelly. I also get extra bananas from the dining hall everytime I go. Now I don't have to worry about skipping breakfast.

I went with the ON 600g creatine monohydrate for $16 off Amazon. $5/month seems pretty reasonable.