Author Topic: Maryland and DC People: What Internet Service Provider?  (Read 2850 times)

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
Maryland and DC People: What Internet Service Provider?
« on: April 01, 2014, 11:00:19 AM »
My Comcast bill went up again. Ugh.

RCN doesn't serve my area. I am asking Comcast to lower my charges...What do you recommend I move to if Comcast won't lower my bill?

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
Re: Maryland and DC People: What Internet Service Provider?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 11:13:55 AM »
I'm not much help unfortunately. Live in Columbia and have FIOS (for reference I think it's $75 for the internet part). I looked for other (i.e. cheaper, smaller) ISPs and didn't find much. Some serve DC but nothing out here, or at best dial up or satellite or something.

Do let me know if you find something:)

edit:
http://maryland.theispguide.com/

jfer_rose

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 11:49:16 AM »
I have Verizon DSL for about $42 per month including taxes and fees. I was fortunate to subscribe back before they required for you to get a land line in order to have DSL, so that is my only Verizon bill.

I've been curious-- FIOS is not available in my neighborhood, but when it is I wonder if that means my internet bill will go up to that $72 amount. If so, I hope my neighborhood doesn't get it. My $42 internet is plenty fast for my needs.

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 11:56:16 AM »
I have Verizon DSL for about $42 per month including taxes and fees. I was fortunate to subscribe back before they required for you to get a land line in order to have DSL, so that is my only Verizon bill.

I've been curious-- FIOS is not available in my neighborhood, but when it is I wonder if that means my internet bill will go up to that $72 amount. If so, I hope my neighborhood doesn't get it. My $42 internet is plenty fast for my needs.
It shouldn't. FIOS is a different product and require them to pull fiber to your house. And it's my understanding that they have more or less stopped expanding it anyway.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 12:23:52 PM »
CC says they can offer me a lower-priced plan. I'll let you know if it really happens. =-)

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 12:36:00 PM »
DC here.  I use Verizon and it cost $54/month for internet only when I moved in 2 years ago.  Last year they increased to $64/month.  I called to reduce the rate and found that if I bundled with cable and signed a 2 year contract, they would reduce the rate for both back to $54.  Yes, it seems that cable is so bad that they have to give it away now! 

I was wondering though, why can't customers organize and refuse to order unless they can get a group rate?  I mean, cable and internet pricing seems to be universally disliked.  When I lived in Atlanta, my HOA had a deal where all the homes were wired and basic cable was included in the HOA fee (it was about $12 added into our HOA fee of $92)  If you wanted premium channels, you paid extra and got a separate bill from the cable company.  This was in the days where broadband was just starting, so when it became available, I got my internet through DSL phone company rather than the cable company.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!