Author Topic: Married couple -- what to do to improve our car situation?  (Read 3661 times)

MrD

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Married couple -- what to do to improve our car situation?
« on: July 14, 2015, 09:24:23 PM »
So currently our car situation is like this:

My car: 2011 Hyundai Sonata - 100% paid off
Her car: 2008 Nissan Xterra - owe about 3.5k

I travel for work by plane so me having a car is useless 90% of the time. The only time it comes in handy is when I need to run errands or go to the doctor while she is at work. We also sometimes split up on the weekend so it is pretty useful sometimes.

I have pitched the idea of selling her car for whatever we can get for it and her just using mine. She will not come around on this idea and I understand wanting to have her own car.

So my new plan is to give her my car and sell her car and then I take whatever I get from the sale plus some cash of my own and buy a new car that I will use to drive to the airport and for errands around town. I am just curious what car you guys would recommend I get. I tried looking for MMM picks but those articles are from 2012.

My only real concern is I don't want to spend 10k+ on a car that I drive maybe 4000-5000 miles a year. I also will not own a car that is 10+ years old as driving is dangerous enough there is no reason to not own a car with more modern safety features. My hope is to get a solid brand Toyota/Honda/Hyundai that is 2009-2011 with around 80k-120k miles on it for less than 8k. I would hope to get at least 6-8k for her Xterra and then I just pay the rest in cash. This will drop a lot of our car costs.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 09:25:55 PM by MrD »

regulator

• Bristles
Re: Married couple -- what to do to improve our car situation?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 09:27:19 PM »
Why not just keep what you have?  At your current rate of usage you will have the Sonata for another 15 years.  Problem solved.

MrD

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 09:29:28 PM »
Why not just keep what you have?  At your current rate of usage you will have the Sonata for another 15 years.  Problem solved.

I guess that is a good point, my main goal was to alleviate the amount of gas she uses with her Xterra as she spends about $100-120 a month.

regulator

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2015, 09:31:51 PM »

I guess that is a good point, my main goal was to alleviate the amount of gas she uses with her Xterra as she spends about $100-120 a month.

Far, far cheaper than a divorce.

Mikila

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2015, 06:17:21 AM »
Maybe she enjoys the Xterra regardless of the cost.  Because you are the one who doesn't drive as much, and the one trying to save money, maybe you could be the one who "sacrifices" in her view?

Blonde Lawyer

• Pencil Stache
    • My Student Loan Refi Story
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2015, 07:45:18 AM »
I have a 2006 Hyundai and I can't think of a single safety feature in newer cars that mine is lacking.  What specific safety features are you concerned about missing?

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2015, 09:19:04 AM »
All of this ----

My only real concern is I don't want to spend 10k+ on a car that I drive maybe 4000-5000 miles a year. I also will not own a car that is 10+ years old as driving is dangerous enough there is no reason to not own a car with more modern safety features. My hope is to get a solid brand Toyota/Honda/Hyundai that is 2009-2011 with around 80k-120k miles on it for less than 8k. I would hope to get at least 6-8k for her Xterra and then I just pay the rest in cash. This will drop a lot of our car costs.

--- tells me that you don't really want or need a newer or different car.

Does your wife want the Sonata?

Seems like she likes the Xterra for whatever reason.

If she's on board with this, then I'd say sell the Xterra and use the funds to get the nicest Prius or Fit that you can. I'd go with all cash.

James

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2015, 09:41:33 AM »
Sometimes I wonder what forum I am on... he didn't say she had a problem with getting rid of the Xterra regulator, so why the hell would they keep it!

Congrats on working on the car situation, sounds like the wife is open to using the Sonata, that certainly is much better than the Xterra. Once you sell the Xterra I would pick up whatever high mpg car you can make do with. I am personally looking at the fit for myself, not sure which year. My wife currently drives a Subaru and we will be selling that to get a Prius later this year. Can't wait to have a vehicle situation that is more mustachian, just wish we could drop to 1 vehicle, but that will have to wait for FIRE.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2015, 09:51:30 AM »
Sell your car (or hers, and give her yours).
Take a taxi to the airport and charge it to your employer.
Use zipcar when you are running errands and can't borrow her car.

(Are you married?  So her car=your car and vice versa.  Does it really matter whose car it's called?  ETA: We own just one car.  My folks always had two, and even though the Camray was "called" moms, it wasn't like dad wouldn't use it if needed and one of us kids had "his" Corolla.  Can't you negotiate errands around town?)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 09:53:29 AM by CommonCents »