Author Topic: Managers: what do you wish you knew?  (Read 2080 times)

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
Managers: what do you wish you knew?
« on: September 14, 2019, 03:48:45 PM »
I'm starting a new role as an a technical/engineering manager on Monday. It's an internal promotion and transfer to a different plant. I've never had direct reports before other than an intern. I will not just be supervising, I'll also do some technical work. It is a shift in technical focus (different product line). I will have 4 direct reports over two shifts, which will grow to 6 over the next couple months. All are technicians.

Unfortunately I am also going to be doing about 2/3rds of my.old job for about three months while they hire a backfill. My new boss is supportive because the project I have to keep working on is actually for my new plant so they are very vested in it remaining on time with the senior technical person leading it rather than a new hire.

What advice would you give me?

FamilyGuy

• Bristles
Re: Managers: what do you wish you knew?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2019, 03:54:50 PM »
Being proactive in terms of seeing dependencies, assumptions, risks in delivering your work and communicating them to your boss is crucial based on my experience. Do not want to micro manage. Managing expectations is important with our direct reports and who we are reporting to.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2019, 07:00:54 PM »
Askamanager.org

Great site with lots of good advice on all things work related.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2019, 07:01:37 AM »
Askamanager.org

Great site with lots of good advice on all things work related.

I read it every day!

Schaefer Light

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2019, 10:48:06 AM »
I wish I had known how much I would hate management ;).  Had I known, I never would have taken the job to begin with.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2019, 06:49:42 PM »
I wish I had known how much I would hate management ;).  Had I known, I never would have taken the job to begin with.

I have decided that I will not move into management in my current field. I would be not great at it and I'd be miserable.

I'm currently dealing with a manager who's a great deal like me personality wise, and she's a terrible manager who I've gone to senior management about 3 times already. Twice last week. I'm starting to get tired of dealing with her crap, especially since her poor planning/screwing up the schedule has resulted in the current crunch I'm in.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2019, 10:50:21 AM »
Several years ago I managed 6 engineers/ technicians that were doing shift work.  What I'd recommend:

- Get to know them, their specific jobs/ duties, make sure you have open communication.
- Your hours are going to be LONG at first, depending on the shifts.  It can be super hard to have overlap with everyone, but it's pretty necessary.

Good managers are worth their weight in gold. I focused on training and developing my people (many were fresh graduates), listening to the senior techs to figure out how to make their lives better, and going to bat for more $ for all of them.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2019, 05:31:46 PM »
A few things that have served me well:

- Spend a lot of time listening to your staff.
- They will look to you, but don't ever pretend to have all of the answers to everything. If you don't know, the best answer is always "I'll point you in the direction of someone who can help you". A good network / internal relationships are vital.
- Be a solution path provider, not a solution provider. The whole "teach a man to fish" thing.
- Treat everyone equally & fairly. Even if you don't like them. It's incumbent on you to always be the better person.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2019, 06:13:53 PM »
Thanks everyone. I'm one week in (at half time as I'm still finishing my old role). So far, so good! I get to promote someone on Monday so that will be fun.