Author Topic: Male products  (Read 16686 times)

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
Male products
« on: November 10, 2014, 10:34:44 AM »
Hey,

I currently don't use any products for my body. I shower and shampoo, and occasionally put on some lotion, am looking for advice on what I can do to keep my skin from drying out this winter. Please advise.

Thank you!

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
Re: Male products
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 10:38:58 AM »
I am a female but I don't know that this is a gender-specific question.

I would say you need to put lotion in after every shower.  I think cetaphil/aquaphor work well for the drugstore brands.  If you want something more natural, I like Avalon Organic location, but it's pricey if you don't find a group doing bulk orders.

Generally it seems like if you live somewhere cold in the winter, the indoor air will be quite dry, and you will likely have dry skin problems.  And then it will go away in the spring/summer when humidity is higher.  You could run a humidifier in your bedroom while you sleep at night, but I don't know how effective that would be, or how much the electricity to run it would be. 

surfhb

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 10:42:36 AM »
Coconut oil....done :)

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 10:44:48 AM »
What about just a humidifier? Water is basically free. A bit of electricity but it can't be that much.

I put on a bit of lotion maybe once or twice/month, but that's about it.

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2014, 10:47:50 AM »
My skin gets very dry in the wintertime.  I've been able to cut down product use to remedy this by cutting down other product use....  This might sound kind of gross, but you really don't need a lot of soap to get clean.  Soap can be very drying, and for me it also seems to instigate eczema.  I pretty much use water and a washcloth to clean my body.  I used to use baking soda for my hair, but after a lot of use it seemed to be drying.  So I switched back to shampoo, but I only use it once a week.

I love a hot, hot shower, but I think the temp also has a tendency to be drying, so try to stick with warm.

Showering less frequently and cutting out unnecessary body-oil stripping products (like soap) can help your skin retain moisture.

When I do need to use something, I like coconut oil.  It's not the cheapest solution, but if you are looking for a more natural product, I'm going to guess it costs less than an organic lotion.  Plus it is great for stir fried rice, popcorn, and granola.  And as a massage oil.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 10:55:03 AM by catccc »

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2014, 11:18:06 AM »
So when you mention coconut oil, you mean something like this

http://www2.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11906987&whse=BD_579&topnav=bdoff&cat=11927&hierPath=11260*&Browse=1&lang=en-US

surfhb

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2014, 11:45:32 AM »

http://www2.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11906987&whse=BD_579&topnav=bdoff&cat=11927&hierPath=11260*&Browse=1&lang=en-US

Yep.....I put it in my hair too

frugaliknowit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2014, 11:54:22 AM »
If your skin is dry in the winter, it means the air in your home is too dry which means you need a humidifier(s).

ChiVolter

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2014, 12:02:34 PM »
I am a guy I recently moved back to Chicago and already have the winter itch setting in. It is horrible.

But you can easily combat it by applying a moisturizer right as you exit the shower. Do not dry it first. Then let your face and the moisturizer set in and dry without a towel.

This works for me very well and it doesn't matter if its the $100 bottle of fancy stuff or the $1 for 1 gallon you can find at the warehouse store or small off-brand grocer. I learned this a long time ago when I thought it had to be the uber-expensive stuff to get the job done.

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2014, 12:47:06 PM »

That's exactly what we have at home.  Costco had it on sale a few months back, too.

Northerly

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2014, 12:58:06 PM »
We have long dry winters here. I'll echo some earlier comments:
-Skip the soap and shampoo, except for maybe once a week.
-Use vaseline for dry skin

Vaseline is basically free. Most people really only need soap and shampoo once or twice a week, max. I shower once or twice a day, generally, because I bike commute and get sweated up. But the soap and shampoo is not necessary.

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2014, 02:00:19 PM »
We have long dry winters here. I'll echo some earlier comments:
-Skip the soap and shampoo, except for maybe once a week.
-Use vaseline for dry skin

Vaseline is basically free. Most people really only need soap and shampoo once or twice a week, max. I shower once or twice a day, generally, because I bike commute and get sweated up. But the soap and shampoo is not necessary.

I wouldn't use vaseline, it's not good for you, your skin, or the environment.  This article kind of goes into why, but also asserts that under certain circumstances it might be okay to use.  Then goes on to say that there are good alternatives out there.  Including coconut oil.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/21/vaseline-petroleum-jelly_n_4136226.html

ioseftavi

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2014, 02:16:34 PM »
What about just a humidifier? Water is basically free. A bit of electricity but it can't be that much.

I put on a bit of lotion maybe once or twice/month, but that's about it.

We keep one running on low for pretty much all the time while we're home and it's a huge, huge help.  I don't use moisturizer other than on my face, and my skin is in good shape through the winter - this wasn't the case before we had the humidifier.  As a bonus, it also helps the room feel MUCH warmer.

DollarBill

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2014, 09:17:58 PM »
I've used Neutrogena body oil for a long time. Now I use Kroger brand. I like the scent and it's not that expensive.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2014, 09:27:32 PM »

m8547

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2014, 10:16:03 PM »
A humidifier doesn't help that much for me. I have one in my bedroom that raises the humidity significantly, but more than half my time is spent in other parts of the house, outside, or at work. Bringing one to work is pointless because of the air handling system in the building. The lab next to where I sit runs a couple big, industrial humidifiers 24/7 and they can barely keep the humidity at 30% in a 20x20ft room.

As soon as I leave my humidified bedroom my skin dries out.

Here's a good review of humidifiers: http://thesweethome.com/reviews/the-best-humidifier/
I bought their budget pick, and if I run it all night on full power I can get condensation on the windows in the morning. I measured the watts it consumes, and I can't remember now, but it was low. I think it was 70 watts on the warm mist setting and 36 watts on the cool mist setting?

You can estimate indoor humidity from the outdoor dew point if you aren't using a humidifier. Put the outside dewpoint and inside temperature into a relative humidity calculator. That assumes that you take outside air and heat it up, which is close enough. If the dew point drops below around freezing I start to get uncomfortable. Dew point below zero F starts to approach the dryness of an airplane, which is very dry.

Other things you can do to increase humidity:
-Don't use the vent fan when you shower
-Vent the dryer into the house, if you use a dryer
-Dry your laundry on a drying rack with a fan to speed it up

Pinch of salt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2014, 04:48:50 PM »
I would suggest using Johnson and Johnson baby lotion. Cheap, and light enough not to leave a greasy layer on your skin.

wtjbatman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2014, 04:55:37 PM »
I always keep a bottle of baby oil on my night stand for a quick "moisturizing" session. Don't forget a box of kleenex for the cleanup.

Mr. Frugalwoods

• Bristles
    • Frugalwoods
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2014, 06:26:56 PM »
This is going to sound radical:

Don't bathe every day.

Seriously.  In the winter, if you don't sweat, taking a shower every other day is just fine.  Good for your skin, good for the environment, win/win!

Guizmo

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2014, 06:33:49 PM »
I always keep a bottle of baby oil on my night stand for a quick "moisturizing" session. Don't forget a box of kleenex for the cleanup.

thats what I do!

hahaha

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2014, 09:16:07 PM »
Eat a whole avocado every day.  And cut back on dairy.  Those two things did it for me.  When I stick to the plan, my skin doesn't even need moisturizer.  It's crazy.  I wish I learned this 15 years ago. 

It took 5 weeks of no dairy to start seeing the effects.  Now I can tolerate some every once in a while without the effects creeping back, but if I overdo it, then my skin starts to look like an alligator and flake!

enpower

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2014, 09:42:30 PM »
What you are eating has a huge impact on your skin.

Eat:
- nuts, seeds, avocados, oily fish, coconut oil, olive oil

If you eat more fat in your diet, naturally your skin will be healthier.

The book "Perfect Health Diet" is a good start.

I don't use soaps, shampoos, etc regualrly either. I use water and a flannel in the shower. I use apple cider vinegar to wash my hair once a fortnight or so. I use a salt crystal deoderant (lasts about 2 years and costs $5) and just generic toothpaste with an electric toothbrush. For shaving I use an electric shaver (for my face) and use olive oil as aftershave.

I spend hardly any money on these things. However, I do spend quite a lot on food, it benefits my health long term though so it is definitely worth it. I don't want to be rich and retired but have poor health.

Greg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2014, 09:48:39 AM »
Drink more water.  A couple of liters a day minimum.  Unless you work in a tower crane where peeing is a hassle.

Guses

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2014, 10:37:28 AM »
I don't put anything extra on my skin.

If my skin gets a little dry... so what?

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2014, 10:43:06 AM »
+1 for Coconut Oil -- plus it smells good!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2014, 11:03:57 AM »
I am male.

I use bar soap to wash my body and hair.  If my skin gets dry I use less soap.  The only time dry skin becomes an issue is with washing dishes . . . and wearing gloves seems to prevent cracked and bleeding hands for me.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2014, 12:20:59 PM »
I also recommend taking fewer showers.  Once or twice a week.  If your hair gets too greasy, just wash it in the sink.  And then moisturize with either lotion or oil after every shower, and also at night before going to bed.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2014, 12:23:49 PM »
This is what I do for my face to ensure maximum health/minimal acne:

Washing face with warm water and antibacterial only soap. Some of the soaps out there are really tough on the skin. I use Dial. I use a separate clean towel for my face, wash my pillowcase every other week, take a low-dose antibiotic twice a day, and go to the gym 2-3 times per week. Finally I use Benzaclin gel (prescription) for any acne and Noczema moisturizer after every face wash or shave. I also stay away from greasy foods and try to drink water equal to half my body weight in ounces per day.

I do a whole lot for my face because acne is something I'm extremely self-conscious about.

As for the rest of my body I use Dial soap and Head&Shoulders which helps prevent dandruff. My hair and skin are naturally very oily so I shower with soap and shampoo at least once a day.

OSUBearCub

• Bristles
  • Tackling student loan debt/not saving dryer lint.
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2014, 12:51:15 PM »
I have really sensitive skin.  When it dries out it seems that my sensitivity goes through the roof.  +1 on moisturizing head to toe after every shower and the brand makes zero difference (I'm partial to Suave Advanced Therapy Body Lotion though, it's relatively cheap.)  Also, you may want to switch to a free and clear detergent for laundry.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2014, 01:45:59 PM »
I have really sensitive skin.  When it dries out it seems that my sensitivity goes through the roof.  +1 on moisturizing head to toe after every shower and the brand makes zero difference (I'm partial to Suave Advanced Therapy Body Lotion though, it's relatively cheap.)  Also, you may want to switch to a free and clear detergent for laundry.
If you're skin is really sensitive, you should try Cetaphil moisturizing cream.  It's thick and very hydrating. 

I'm also a fan of free and clear detergent. 

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2014, 01:59:06 PM »
I am male.

I use bar soap to wash my body and hair.  If my skin gets dry I use less soap.  The only time dry skin becomes an issue is with washing dishes . . . and wearing gloves seems to prevent cracked and bleeding hands for me.

There should be a manual for men on this.

1.  The only product I own is Ivory soap
2.  Do not apply soap to parts of your body other than face, hair, hands, underarms and privates.  I haven't used soap on my back in over 8 months and my back acne completely went away.
3.  Shower less in the winter.
4.  In Jan and February I used not soap whatsoever on any part of my body and went to an every other day routine. Smelled great.  Wife never noticed.   Consider shaving underarm hair with this method. 
5.  My face acne worsens without soap, so I actually increased the number of times I soap my face and added benzoyl peroxide face cream.   Acne never better.  So I will continue to soap my face but not my body in winter.  Your natural God given oil is the only moisturizer required.

Here is a great blog showing the wonders of no soap, no shampoo for both men and women. 

http://www.ndoherty.com/no-shampoo/

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2014, 02:07:01 PM »
Eat more fatty fish (or take fish oil).  Made a big impact for me, and my hands in years past would always be dry, cracked, and bleeding in the winter.  It was pretty bad.

I still have a tiny bottle of lotion as a backup if it gets noticeable, but I've used half the tube in two years.

m8547

• Bristles
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2014, 08:53:59 PM »

If my skin gets too dry, it gets inflamed and doesn't get better for a long time, like weeks, no matter how much lotion I use after that. It's really itchy, and people see me and wonder if I have some kind of contagious disease.

Navy showers make my skin more dry because the soap sits there longer (get wet, turn water off, soap and shampoo everything, rinse, turn water off again, done)

madmax

• Stubble
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2014, 10:20:47 PM »
I also recommend taking fewer showers.  Once or twice a week.  If your hair gets too greasy, just wash it in the sink.  And then moisturize with either lotion or oil after every shower, and also at night before going to bed.

What do you do after working out or biking? A good workout at the gym usually leaves me drenched in sweat.

BattlaP

• Stubble
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2014, 10:24:06 PM »
Steel wool.

Nudelkopf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2014, 11:00:18 PM »
If your skin is dry in the winter, it means the air in your home is too dry which means you need a humidifier(s).
Oh, I'm sorry, I thought we were on an MMM forum? A humidifier is not a 'need'. Just don't use soap on your skin (only where it's really needed - armpits, groin, feet), and maybe put some moisturizer on every few days, and you should be sweet.

I stopped wearing sunscreen on my arms (I wear removable sleeves instead) because I was using soap to remove the sunscreen, and my arms were on fire.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2014, 12:13:23 AM »

What do you do after working out or biking? A good workout at the gym usually leaves me drenched in sweat.

I personally have very dry skin and just don't sweat that much in general, but especially in the winter.  I'm also in the Bay Area, and it's better here as there's not actually a winter, but when I lived in the upper Midwest, my skin would hurt from how dry it got in the winter.  I think dry skin and not being a sweaty person seem to go hand in hand.  It's actually pretty hard to be sweaty in the winter when it's freezing out, as any moisture you expel evaporates almost immediately so you never notice.  This also causes you to not smell, so it's not a big deal.

As far as the gym, I've never been to a gym so I have no idea.  But I commute by bike year round (15 miles round trip) and even in the summer I only shower every other day.  It's the benefit and curse of having really dry skin.  I definitely have to use less lotion in the summer though.

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2014, 08:18:10 AM »

If my skin gets too dry, it gets inflamed and doesn't get better for a long time, like weeks, no matter how much lotion I use after that. It's really itchy, and people see me and wonder if I have some kind of contagious disease.

Navy showers make my skin more dry because the soap sits there longer (get wet, turn water off, soap and shampoo everything, rinse, turn water off again, done)

Sounds like you may benefit from the no soap routine.  Washing well with water should remove most all dirt. (what do you do to get dirt all over your skin?)  Most of the bacteria will go away to, along with dead skin.   It worked well for me and really cleared up my back and butt acne. 

http://www.ndoherty.com/no-shampoo/

I'm converting back to the no soap except for face now as winter has arrived.    I was thinking about this thread in the shower this morning and figured the following.

This year I have spent about $4 on Ivory soap.  $6 on tooth paste and brushes/floss. $3 on deodorant.  $4 on razors for a whooping annual total of $17. 

Contrast that with many women who I'm guessing spend $75 per month on skin/hair products and makeup.   

The difference is that after 30 years I would have something like $150,000 more in my investment account.   

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2014, 08:26:52 AM »

I disagree with this. We actually have a problem with dampness in our (old and needing some work) house, and I have very dry skin.

Coconut oil works for me - but only if I trap shower water in by applying it before drying my skin.

OSUBearCub

• Bristles
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2014, 12:56:39 PM »

This is no joke.  My skin issues developed in a single year.  Red, patchy rash covering 80% of my body.  The first dermatologist diagnosed it as scabies and I had a mini freak out.  Second (better) dermatologist recognized it as advanced winter eczema.  The itch is so bad it can keep you from falling asleep at night or wake you out of a sound sleep.  Truly awful.

If you're past prevention and stuck in the middle of remediation, a pretty mustachian remedy is tepid baths with colloidal oatmeal.  I just buy the colloidal oatmeal from the dollar store but I've heard you can make it yourself by whizzing the shit out of old fashioned oats in a blender.  The water needs to be a degree or two below body temp or it will pull oil out of your skin - the water will feel cool.  Keep the soak at about 10-12 minutes to prevent moisture loss.  (A soak like this is also great if you spend too long in a chlorinated pool and feel itchy later in the day.)

DollarBill

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2014, 06:48:15 PM »

FuckRx

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2014, 08:26:18 PM »
^
|
|
awesome.
doctors says.... coconut oil like 6x a day. increase your omega 3 & 6 fatty acids. more water. and though shalt be all shiny.

Nudelkopf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2014, 10:12:56 PM »

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2014, 09:45:51 AM »
butt acne. 
That's a thing?! :(

I believe back acne and butt acne is pretty common among men. 

OSUBearCub

• Bristles
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2014, 11:35:02 AM »
butt acne. 
That's a thing?! :(

I believe back acne and butt acne is pretty common among men.

The struggle is real.