Author Topic: Male mustachians: suits on the cheap  (Read 5357 times)

Psychstache

• Handlebar Stache
Male mustachians: suits on the cheap
« on: July 09, 2017, 04:49:53 PM »
So, I am considering applying for a new job. It's a promotion and something I'm interested in, but it's a more high-level position than what I am in now and really would require wearing suits to work everyday.

Is there anyone in this situation that has a plan for keeping their work wardrobe costs under control?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
Re: Male mustachians: suits on the cheap
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 05:02:54 PM »
I am not in this situation, but a good source for inexpensive suits is thrift stores near nicer neighborhoods. The Goodwill next to the local country club here is a gold mine for expensive mens dress clothes. Look for quality fabrics in suits that are close to fitting and then find a good tailor to get you the rest of the way there.

It probably varies from place to place, but Friday afternoons here is the best time to go . . . their inventory of nicer clothes seems to be highest then.

Hargrove

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 06:57:37 PM »
Are we talking suits only, or the more commonly required "business formal"?

I get coupons from Jos. A. Bank and Men's Wearhouse (which are now the same place) via mail and email - they are among the best stores to get ties, because they have an enormous clearance section of very high-quality new ties for $20 (which is about the cap I'm willing to pay for a tie). Accessories there are a bad idea. The pants quality is fine, shirt quality is fine, but both are very expensive unless you get 3 or so at a time when they're on sale with your coupon etc etc.

If you go to one of those places, though, you'll get your sizing covered and can buy the bulk of your stuff online, or as Zamboni suggested, a Goodwill in a ritzy town. I can't remember the name a colleague of mine uses, but places like

http://www.thesuitdepot.com/mens-suits.html

do full suits for not-completely-bonkers prices. You'll have to look around though - the trick is to find an online retailer that does your size properly, if you go that route. Be prepared to be disappointed with how long they last - folds will fray between 1-2 years on any dress shirts I've ever had. I probably spend 400-450/year on everything (shoes, watches, tie clips, shirts, pants, dress socks, shoes, ties, rare dry-cleaning favorite ties that got messed up). Don't freak out about ironing - pull your clothes from the dryer as soon as it stops and hang them up and you won't really need to get an iron.

Do not buy wool pants. Or anything. They're too expensive to care for.

(I'll post the site my colleague actually vouches for when I can get an answer from him tomorrow)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 07:04:08 PM by Hargrove »

Scotland2016

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 07:30:13 PM »
Try eBay. I've had good luck finding other professional clothing, and I assume suits would be available as well.

Lepetitange3

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2017, 07:57:19 PM »
The real trick is don't pay much for the suit- eBay, goodwill, thrift, Craigslist even is fine.  Check the tag to make sure you're getting decent quality.  But do spend the $$ to have it tailored to fit properly.  That's the difference between the big leagues and the guys who have a suit in their closet to wear to their sisters wedding.  And people in that income bracket "tell" by how your suit fits. 

Proud Foot

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 09:05:37 AM »
I have a couple suits from Combatant Gentleman and really like them.  Sizes fit pretty true for me. (32waist pants, 42R jacket). Good prices (starts around $260) and IMO the quality matches the "name brands" at a place like Mens Wearhouse or JOS A Bank.
*Just checked their site and they are having a 30% off sale!

Jrr85

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 09:29:14 AM »
So, I am considering applying for a new job. It's a promotion and something I'm interested in, but it's a more high-level position than what I am in now and really would require wearing suits to work everyday.

Is there anyone in this situation that has a plan for keeping their work wardrobe costs under control?

I'll second Jos A banks.  You have to do it on their 3 for 1 sales, and then do at least their Signature suits, but if you get them altered and don't have a weird body type, they will be good enough that you likely won't ever be anywhere that you feel out of place. 

bognish

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2017, 09:05:41 AM »
Get a decent black & navy blue suit jacket. A few pairs of pants to go with each. Then multiple different ties. I only ever had my suit jacket on from the car to my office and back. If you get a boring suit style no one will ever notice that you wear it every other day. There is a story of the Australian morning news guy who wore the same suit on TV every day for a year and no one noticed.

ReadySetMillionaire

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2017, 09:16:23 AM »
I have a couple suits from Combatant Gentleman and really like them.  Sizes fit pretty true for me. (32waist pants, 42R jacket). Good prices (starts around $260) and IMO the quality matches the "name brands" at a place like Mens Wearhouse or JOS A Bank.

In my experience, the quality of these suits long-term is trash. Might just be the suit I ended up with, but the Combat Gent suit is already starting to show some significant wear after a year. I wear them once a week and have to get them drycleaned much more often than my high quality suits.

I'm a huge fan of Brooks Brothers. You might find some at Goodwill, but there should also be an outlet store near you where you can get a suit for about $225. I've had four Brooks Brothers suits for six years now and they still look good as new. I'll probably buy one more suit (throw out the Combat Gent suit and replace it with a BB suit) and not need to buy another suit for the rest of my life.

Lance Hiruma

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2017, 10:02:27 PM »
I'm a trial attorney who needs to be in a suit and looking professional much more often than I prefer. I have bounced around the different options out there, and I've settled on a solution I am very happy with.

Go into a Saks, and try on several of their branded suits. Find the fit you like best and take note of it (trim fit 42R for me). Now go onto the Saks Off Fifth website, and filter the men's suits section to those suits. You'll see a worthwhile selection of suits for under $200.

I find these suits to be far superior in quality to any of the low-cost warehouse options out there. They are much more fashionable as well. And you'll actually pay less for three suits this way than you will if you do one of the JAB three-for-one deals.

As an added bonus, there is a Saks Off Fifth in Minneapolis, MN. In the state of Minnesota, clothing is exempt from sales tax. If you're going to be in Minneapolis any time soon, I recommend swinging by the Saks Off Fifth to grab a couple of suits at that sub-$200 price out-the-door.

+1
Also, Nordstrom rack and last call.

TimmyTightWad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2017, 08:00:26 AM »
I like http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/suits?from=home
Can get something nice for under $500, and they have sales from time to time

Proud Foot

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2017, 08:06:26 AM »

In my experience, the quality of these suits long-term is trash. Might just be the suit I ended up with, but the Combat Gent suit is already starting to show some significant wear after a year. I wear them once a week and have to get them drycleaned much more often than my high quality suits.

I'm a huge fan of Brooks Brothers. You might find some at Goodwill, but there should also be an outlet store near you where you can get a suit for about $225. I've had four Brooks Brothers suits for six years now and they still look good as new. I'll probably buy one more suit (throw out the Combat Gent suit and replace it with a BB suit) and not need to buy another suit for the rest of my life.

You're the only other person I know who has one from them.  Your experience might be more typical. When I purchased mine I was wearing suits several days a month.  A few months after I purchased mine I switched jobs and only wear one once or twice a month.

moonpalace

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2017, 08:37:25 AM »
The real trick is don't pay much for the suit- eBay, goodwill, thrift, Craigslist even is fine.  Check the tag to make sure you're getting decent quality.  But do spend the $$ to have it tailored to fit properly.  That's the difference between the big leagues and the guys who have a suit in their closet to wear to their sisters wedding.  And people in that income bracket "tell" by how your suit fits.

+1 for this.

I bought one new suit once, and other than that I just hit up thrift stores in rich towns and then bring the suit to the tailor. I get tons of compliments on the suits, and questions about where I got them. Total cost for most of the suits I've gotten this way (purchase + tailor) is under $100/suit. I just scored a *free* suit off our local craigslist equivalent. Not the greatest quality but after the tailor works it over it'll look great.

Don't know where you live, but I've had great success with thrift stores in college towns (in particular Princeton NJ and Middlebury VT).

FLBiker

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chop Wood Carry FIRE
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2017, 12:39:26 PM »
When I was in a similar situation, I went to Mens Wearhouse and was underwhelmed.  I ended up getting some very cheap suits (I think I paid like $125 for 2 - they were BOGO) at K&G Superstore.  I've been very happy with the suits (though I won't claim to be fashionable).  I only need suits once in a while, but that place is my go to shop for work pants.  I pay $20-$30 a pair.

caracarn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2017, 12:46:24 PM »

I'll second Jos A banks.  You have to do it on their 3 for 1 sales, and then do at least their Signature suits, but if you get them altered and don't have a weird body type, they will be good enough that you likely won't ever be anywhere that you feel out of place.
+1

All the suits I own are Jos. A Banks  3 for 1 deals.  They last forever, look good and it's tough to beat.  IF you need the suit to look like it was made for you it''s tough on the Goodwill route.  You will find suits, but not going to look as good.  It depends on your size I suppose.  I'm not massive but I'm a bit over 6 feet and the sizes of my suits are not regularly on the racks.  If you can find more choices in your size at a thrift store might be worth a try.

intellectsucks

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2017, 01:11:50 PM »
I used to LOVE the Jos A Bank 3 for 1 sales, until I started shopping their clearance center online.  I got two very high quality suits for around $100.  I don’t remember their mail in return policy (maybe you had to pay for shipping?) but I know you could return items purchased online at the store for free.
I also recommend that you buy two or three suits where the individual parts will go together.  For example:
Black suit, tan suit, brown suit/suit jacket.  You can then wear the individual pieces mixed and matched, making a smaller wardrobe appear much larger.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!