Author Topic: Making things that cost money  (Read 2250 times)

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
Making things that cost money
« on: April 05, 2014, 03:18:15 AM »
So tonight me and some friends gathered to make bulgogi (Korean beef), bimibap (Korean rice bowl) and homemade kimchi. It was absolutely delcious and a ton of fun. I hope the kimchi turns out well, I love eating it and cooking with it so if this works out I can see myself making it very often especially as it wasn't that difficult and now that we have the ingredients it will be cheap(er) to make.

This got me thinking of other things that I can make rather than buy. I like eating a granola cereal for breakfast, does anyone have any good recipes for making it from scratch?

Are there other things that you recommend making at home? I recall someone mentioning various cleaning fluids.

happy

• Walrus Stache
Re: Making things that cost money
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 04:36:43 AM »
Let your imagination run wild!
I make my own laundry detergent, use vinegar and bicarb for all sorts of cleaning uses and shampoo. Citrus peel added to vinegar makes a nice citrus cleaner.
As far as food goes, you could probably pick a cuisine and copy e.g. Italian families ge together to make tomato sauce/passata, salami and other goodies.
I make my own bread, and am learning to extend/preserve my own home grown produce by blanching and freezing, pickling or making tomato sauce.
I also make my own yoghurt.
I don't have fruit trees, but when fruit is v cheap I buy a heap and make jam.
There's heaps more I want to explore e.g. cheese making, soap making, water bathing, pressure canning.

Once you get used to making your own stuff, things you buy seem icky/inferior/fake/full of chemicals