Author Topic: Making a living from living at home  (Read 7055 times)

Skinny Malinky Long legs

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Making a living from living at home
« on: December 06, 2014, 02:44:25 AM »
When I 'retired' to stay home with my young family 17 years ago, I wondered if it was possible to generate an income, in something I loved, whilst being at home. On reflection, it's been quite a journey:
I wrote six chapters of a novel, sent it to one publisher, got a 4 book contract - which lead to
First novel optioned for a movie - drew attention from a TV network to write for their soap opera - which lead to
Discovered eating quality chocolate helped me write - started making chocolates for friends and family - which lead to
Set up artisan chocolate company from garage, first order came from multinational grocery chain - which lead to
Invitations to teach/mentor in creative skills and business start-ups - which lead to
Going back to college to train to be an English teacher - which lead to? Who knows what's next.
I would love to hear from fellow Mustachians who are about to begin, or who have already started, working on exciting projects at home. 

Skinny Malinky Long legs

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Making a living from living at home
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 03:59:11 AM »
In true Mustachian-style of getting something for nothing - my latest book about 3 student teachers, 'Miss, Mrs or Ms' is FREE as an ebook on Amazon until Tues 9 Dec 14. I can always give you page references to the sexy bits if you just want to skip the rest!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Miss-Mrs-Ms-Paula-Clamp-ebook/dp/B00QFCTMGA/

[Mod Edit: Referral Link removed.]
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 01:02:24 PM by arebelspy »

Boz86

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2014, 04:42:38 AM »
Thanks for the offer, unfortunately I can't get amazon UK titles here in the U.S.

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2014, 08:43:32 PM »
At first I thought troll, but then I clicked on your book. I can access from the US no problem, but it's listed for 0.00. I'm not sure how that's helping you make a living.

Boz86

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2014, 07:27:04 AM »
Did you try to "purchase?" That's when Amazon told me no.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2014, 01:02:00 PM »
When I 'retired' to stay home with my young family 17 years ago, I wondered if it was possible to generate an income, in something I loved, whilst being at home. On reflection, it's been quite a journey:
I wrote six chapters of a novel, sent it to one publisher, got a 4 book contract - which lead to
First novel optioned for a movie - drew attention from a TV network to write for their soap opera - which lead to
Discovered eating quality chocolate helped me write - started making chocolates for friends and family - which lead to
Set up artisan chocolate company from garage, first order came from multinational grocery chain - which lead to
Invitations to teach/mentor in creative skills and business start-ups - which lead to
Going back to college to train to be an English teacher - which lead to? Who knows what's next.
I would love to hear from fellow Mustachians who are about to begin, or who have already started, working on exciting projects at home.

That's quite impressive!  Love your story, thanks for sharing.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

dantownehall

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2014, 08:59:39 AM »
How did you go about submitting to a publisher?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2014, 09:16:34 AM »

The landscape of publishing now versus 17 years ago is VERY different.  eBooks didn't exist then.  Kindle was a word meaning to set on fire.

No doubt the answer may be helpful, but I just wanted to point that it may not be 100% relevant today due to the amazing success and growth of self publishing over the last few years.

/spoken as someone who's researched it a LOT in the last few months, and is going through the process right now of self publishing
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

BPA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2014, 09:22:03 AM »
Teachers have sex?  ;)

Good for you for being smart and resourceful.

dantownehall

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2014, 01:18:42 PM »

The landscape of publishing now versus 17 years ago is VERY different.  eBooks didn't exist then.  Kindle was a word meaning to set on fire.

No doubt the answer may be helpful, but I just wanted to point that it may not be 100% relevant today due to the amazing success and growth of self publishing over the last few years.

/spoken as someone who's researched it a LOT in the last few months, and is going through the process right now of self publishing

Good point, I thought of that immediately after posting!

brooklynguy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2014, 02:02:06 PM »

Care to share what you are self publishing?  I'm sure there are lots of potentially interested readers in the forum.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2014, 03:01:40 PM »

Care to share what you are self publishing?  I'm sure there are lots of potentially interested readers in the forum.

It's for the wife.  She's doing the writing, I'm figuring out all the publishing/formatting/marketing/social media/etc. stuff.

I'm not much of a writer.

brooklynguy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2014, 03:15:54 PM »
It's for the wife.  She's doing the writing, I'm figuring out all the publishing/formatting/marketing/social media/etc. stuff.

Ah, I see.

I'm not much of a writer.

I would beg to differ.  I am constantly impressed by the writing skill displayed by many of the posters here.  I've started hanging around more often as much for the reading entertainment as anything else.