Author Topic: Magazine suggestions?  (Read 3619 times)

DanishMM

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Magazine suggestions?
« on: November 17, 2014, 11:14:05 AM »
I have a pretty ironic question. Anyone knows what magazine to buy when your only interest is not consuming? The thing is that I have never been a big shopper, but occasionally enjoyed buying clothes or shoes. Whenever I was sick or had a long trip I would buy a woman's magazine and look at clothes. 2-3 times a year. I never really bought anything I saw but liked reading it. My inner anitconsumerist has really grown stronger the last few years and after finding MMM I hardly buy anything. It's not that I feel like I am denying myself a purchase. I really don't want it.
The ONLY thing I really miss are the magazines. But because clothes no longer interest me I am looking for a replacement.
For a December-sunday, a long train ride.
I know the obvious choice is books but I kind of miss the magazine layout. Columns, letters from readers, news…that thought of thing. Preferably about my great interest which is not consuming - and yes. I do appreciate the irony :-) any ideas?

purplepants

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • My Journey - Purplepants' Journey From The 7th Circle of Hell
Re: Magazine suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 11:40:06 AM »
My best recommendation from first-hand experience is Success magazine.  I find the articles motivating.  It tends to cover everything from increasing your earning potential to making a career change to something you love doing.

A bit more aligned with your interests, I don't have any first-hand experience to recommend a specific magazine, but perhaps some urban homesteading/self-reliance type magazine would be up your alley.

LibrarIan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 11:54:59 AM »
Do you have a good library nearby? Maybe check out (pun intended) their selection and see what strikes your fancy. Also, if you have a tablet and the library offers Zinio you can get magazines digitally that way (smaller selection though).

FLBiker

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chop Wood Carry FIRE
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 12:05:56 PM »
Here are a few magazines ideas that you might check out at a library:

Yes
Orion
Mother Jones
Adbusters

DanishMM

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 12:07:44 PM »
Cool! Thank you all so much - thats a lot to start with - don't know any of them! great!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 12:16:05 PM »
From the library, I like to borrow:

Real Simple
The Economist
Psychology Today
Utne Reader
Taste of Home

I never buy magazines anymore due to MMM, but still love them, so this is how I get my fix!

Kenoryn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2014, 12:38:33 PM »
Like purplepants said, homesteading/self-sufficiency magazines may be interesting to you with lots of DIY/money-saving projects, low-income low-spending lifestyles, etc. Check out BackHome and Mother Earth News. I also second the nomination for YES magazine.

livingthedream

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Becoming Financially Independent
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2014, 02:14:07 PM »
Do you have a good library nearby? Maybe check out (pun intended) their selection and see what strikes your fancy. Also, if you have a tablet and the library offers Zinio you can get magazines digitally that way (smaller selection though).

Love Zino from our library. Great selection of free magazines.