Author Topic: Made Greek Yogurt - Now What To Do With The Whey?!?  (Read 7780 times)

Mrs. PoP

• Bristles
    • Planting Our Pennies
Made Greek Yogurt - Now What To Do With The Whey?!?
« on: August 14, 2014, 04:40:02 PM »
Okay, so I've been making yogurt for about 6 months now (using this: http://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-IP-DUO60-Programmable-Generation/dp/B00FLYWNYQ), and I've been making it thick and then straining it through coffee filters to get it extra thick.  So tasty... but I digress. 

All the while (well, the last 4 months or so), I've been saving the whey since I was told you could make homemade ricotta out of it.  Well, finally got a gallon of whey together and tried it... no luck.    Not a single curd of ricotta formed in my whey/vinegar mixture.  It was very disappointing. 

So since ricotta is out - what should I be doing with my whey? 

Helvegen

• Pencil Stache
Re: Made Greek Yogurt - Now What To Do With The Whey?!?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 04:41:24 PM »
Now I found a new thing I need to buy.

minimustache1985

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 04:52:11 PM »
What recipe do you use?  I have a (different) pressure cooker and may be inclined to try this!

Unfortunately, I have no idea what you could do with the whey.

EarlyQuit

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 04:53:26 PM »
You can cook in whey instead of water (or mix it with water), if you are making quinoa, for example, or rice. Also, you can substitute it for milk in certain recipes, like quiches. Just be mindful of the amount of spices you are adding, b/c whey tends to be already a bit salty and you may need less salt than what the recipe calls for. You can add it to soups and marinate meats in it... You can also make homemade ketchup with yogurt whey... don't remember the recipe off the top of my head, but let me know if you want it and I will find it. Or I am sure you can just google it too.
That's all I've been using it for.

Also, I have never heard of making ricotta with whey... but I made it using raw milk in the past.

Your pressure cooker looks very cool, I've never used one. I make yogurt only using a pot. I am sure the pressure cooker makes it easier.

Mrs. PoP

• Bristles
    • Planting Our Pennies
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 05:11:05 PM »
What recipe do you use?  I have a (different) pressure cooker and may be inclined to try this!

Unfortunately, I have no idea what you could do with the whey.

I use this one: http://www.hippressurecooking.com/video-how-to-make-yogurt-in-instant-pot-duo/ 
I make it in 8oz jelly jars and add 1/2 tsp carnation powdered milk to each jar before steaming to make it extra thick. 

Mrs. PoP

• Bristles
    • Planting Our Pennies
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 05:15:46 PM »
You can cook in whey instead of water (or mix it with water), if you are making quinoa, for example, or rice. Also, you can substitute it for milk in certain recipes, like quiches. Just be mindful of the amount of spices you are adding, b/c whey tends to be already a bit salty and you may need less salt than what the recipe calls for. You can add it to soups and marinate meats in it... You can also make homemade ketchup with yogurt whey... don't remember the recipe off the top of my head, but let me know if you want it and I will find it. Or I am sure you can just google it too.

Also, I have never heard of making ricotta with whey... but I made it using raw milk in the past.

Your pressure cooker looks very cool, I've never used one. I make yogurt only using a pot. I am sure the pressure cooker makes it easier.

Do you know what the nutritional content of the whey is?  Does it add any other flavors than salt?

teen persuasion

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 05:22:42 PM »
I use whey in place of milk in pancake/waffle batter, or in biscuits.  I also use it as the liquid in bread or pizza dough.  It doesn't keep very long, even refrigerated, so I'm always tossing a few quarts leftover from my last batch of mozzarella cheese.  I'd heard about making ricotta from the whey from mozzarella, but only if it was cultured, and my recipe is not and specifically says it won't work.  I still tried it, it still didn't work. Some people added koolaid mix to the whey as a flavored drink, but the idea really doesn't appeal to me.

EarlyQuit

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2014, 05:51:30 PM »

Do you know what the nutritional content of the whey is?  Does it add any other flavors than salt?
To my knowledge, the main benefit of whey is that it's full of protein. Which reminds me that you can also make protein smoothies and shakes with it (I never used it for that though). As far as the nutritional content breakdown, I do not have that.

me2bfree

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2014, 06:01:59 PM »
I make a vegetarian Indian dish called matar paneer, which is delicious fried cheese pieces and green peas in an onion curry sauce. Before we could buy anything and everything at the grocery store, I made the paneer cheese first and there was always quite a bit of whey left over. I used the whey in the sauce, which is cooked down until quite thick. If you're going to make any kinds of curries, etc. the whey would be a good addition.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2014, 06:05:47 PM »
I mix it with milk in my cereal. Use it in oatmeal. Add it to smoothies. Once you get going, you'll find dozens of uses large and small.

Al1961

• Stubble
  • Dad of a husky Husky
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2014, 06:56:46 PM »
I use whey in place of milk in oatmeal/bran muffins.

Also a good protein boost for breakfast oatmeal

Al

Fi(re) on the Farm

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2014, 04:04:39 AM »
I stick whey in a jar in the freezer and when I have enough I use it in place of water in bread and pizza dough.

Mrs. PoP

• Bristles
    • Planting Our Pennies
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2014, 05:47:15 AM »
I make a vegetarian Indian dish called matar paneer, which is delicious fried cheese pieces and green peas in an onion curry sauce. Before we could buy anything and everything at the grocery store, I made the paneer cheese first and there was always quite a bit of whey left over. I used the whey in the sauce, which is cooked down until quite thick. If you're going to make any kinds of curries, etc. the whey would be a good addition.

This sounds amazing.  Do you have a recipe you're willing to share? 

KMAber

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2014, 06:43:33 AM »
I've marinated chicken with it (delicious - very tender!) and used it as a hair rinse (in place of conditioner...okay results but not my favorite). Cooked pasta with it (came out fine, but seemed like not the most efficient use for it). I froze mine and it was good as new!
Here's my recipe for the marinade http://www.plantoeat.com/recipes/2133672
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 07:26:17 AM by KMAber »

AndThen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2014, 07:59:05 AM »
Ha! I actually have the exact same pressure cooker and use it for greek yogurt 1-2x a week as well. Funny. I don't use jars, though, and just pour milk in the cooker itself. I would also be curious if there's anything useful for the whey liquid. I just dump it down the drain as I have no clue.

mrsggrowsveg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2014, 10:07:01 AM »
Have you ever tried fermenting your own Sauerkraut or other veggies.  I don't make my own yogurt but use the whey from store-bought yogurt to make Sauerkraut and Kimchi.

BooksAreNerdy

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2014, 11:18:08 AM »
Cheese whey can be used to make ricotta. Yogurt whey, not so much. Just feed it to the chickens? ;)

ioseftavi

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2014, 11:28:02 AM »
I use whey in place of milk in pancake/waffle batter, or in biscuits.  I also use it as the liquid in bread or pizza dough. 

USE IT FOR MAKING BREAD, sweet lord it's delicious.  I made sandwich bread last night using milk, but whey is better.  If you need recipes using whey, I would suggest grabbing a copy of "Make the bread, buy the butter", which has a pretty good smattering of baked goods that are improved by using whey instead of water / milk.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!