Author Topic: MacBook or PC (new laptop search)  (Read 5782 times)

NewDay1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
MacBook or PC (new laptop search)
« on: December 14, 2018, 04:36:27 PM »
Hi all,

I've had a MacBook Pro since 2008 and it is officially in need of replacement. 

Bought it refurbished from Apple.com 10 years ago and had ZERO problems.  Loved it - just can't upgrade anymore, not enough space, etc..

I use it mainly for documents,photos, internet, and soon to be short video creation - but not high volume.

(1) Should I stick with a Mac, or give non-Macs a chance?  Realize there's a significant price difference.
(2) If I stick with a Mac, should I buy the $299 Apple Care.  I did the first time, and didn't use it except for in-store classes.
(3) If I go with a PC, do I need to buy anti-virus software? (feels annoying)
(4) If I go with a PC, brand recommendations?

Thanks for your feedback on any of these questions!

Khaetra

• Pencil Stache
Re: MacBook or PC (new laptop search)
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2018, 04:10:48 AM »
I have a Mac that I bought a couple years ago and I love it, well worth the price.  I've also had PC's, but either I have been extremely unlucky or they just plain sucked because they never lasted more than a year or two.  If you buy a PC then you will need anti-virus (which is both annoying and a pita!) which is an added expense.  I would stick to Mac, since that what you've been using.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2018, 04:19:43 AM »
We ponder this question and stick with the Mac. They seem to last a lot longer than anything else. I do get Apple Care, and I’m not usually big on extended warranties, but their tech support is always so helpful and I’m not awfully interested in figuring it all out on my own.

We bought a new laptop last spring, and decided to forego paying for Office and are just using the Apple software that comes with the computer.

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2018, 05:24:16 AM »

I have a Mac that I bought a couple years ago and I love it, well worth the price.  I've also had PC's, but either I have been extremely unlucky or they just plain sucked because they never lasted more than a year or two.  If you buy a PC then you will need anti-virus (which is both annoying and a pita!) which is an added expense.  I would stick to Mac, since that what you've been using.

Don't spread FUD, you haven't needed to buy antivirus for years. It's built into windows, and you never notice it (unless you get a virus, which I haven't in at least two decades). And there are plenty of other free ones that work great too.

PCs (and macs are PCs) are commodities now. It's basically just a fashion/taste question; if you like OS X get Mac, if not get a Win10 machine. They both do the same, function the same, and are equally safe.

Personally I like choice and upgradability, and can't make sense of OSX, so buy Win PCs. The glued together macs are fashion accessories with a premium price, but if you need OSX then that's your choice.

tyler2016

• Stubble
    • Tyler's Guides
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2018, 05:42:48 AM »
I would save your money. Computer hardware has gotten to the point where it doesn't make sense for most people to spend a lot. If you are doing some heavy duty stuff like CAD, video effects, gaming, then you will probably need to spend a bit more. For run of the mill web browsing, email, spreadsheets, etc, most computers will do the job well enough.

I would just avoid low end processors like Celerons, try to get an SSD, and no less the 4GB of RAM, 8 would be ideal.

Blackadder

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2018, 09:30:14 AM »
Some good comments. Here are my 2 cents:

I'd look at the cost of a Mac/PC that would suit your needs, calculate the price difference, think about the non-tangibles/what you prefer about using a Mac (or a PC) and then decide whether this is worth this price difference for you.

I do this all quite often to quantify decisions, and it makes my life a little easier. :)

Oh and anti-virus can be had free/included for PCs as well. I personally am also using MS Office on the Mac, because I got a cheap license from my employer. Have been using Pages/Numbers/Keynote for years, and they have gone downhill the last 5 years IMO.

Full disclosure: Have also used my 2008 Macbook Pro for ~9 years as my main computer, and still am using it for Netflix daily. Currently using a second-hand 2015 Macbook Pro (maxed-out, pre-chiclet keyboard) which I'm happy with. Would not recommend buying a "cheaper" (i.e. less drastically expensive) Mac, because they only seemed to last me 3-4 years until they became sluggish when using recent software (anecdotical evidence warning).

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2018, 09:51:54 AM »
From a hardware perspective, I would recommend a business-class or higher-end consumer class PC laptop, preferably from Dell or Lenovo. They tend to have more parts which are replaceable/upgradeable, and replacement parts are readily available and cheap. Apple laptops have the RAM and storage soldered to the motherboard, so if something goes wrong and you don't have a backup, you're hosed, and there's no option to upgrade. Some PC laptops have this same issue, so do some research.

In terms of MacOS vs Windows, that's pretty much a matter of personal preference.

FWIW, after a lot of research, I recently got DW a Dell Inspiron 13 7368. Hard Drive and RAM are removable, the chassis is all aluminum, and it's common enough that parts are available. And its a lot cheaper than a mac

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2018, 09:58:58 AM »
I've been using my 2012 MacBook Air as a full-time work machine for 6 years with no problems (purchased when I was still in a workplace, kept using it in home office). I don't anticipate having to replace it for at least another year but probably longer, as it seems to be running happily on the most recent OS update.

At this point, I'm planning to replace it eventually with an iMac or Mac Mini desktop for ergonomic purposes. I like the Mac OS, and my previous Sony Vaio laptop and husband's Dell laptop were not impressive. My mom loves her HP laptop, though, so I could be swayed.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2018, 10:00:36 AM »
Gotta go with the PC as well. Mac has been caught up to if not passed imo and paying extra for nothing extra special if anything.

dang1

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2018, 10:37:26 AM »
check out Chromebooks - It has worked out really well for me, I haven't used my Windows machine for a while now

tralfamadorian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2018, 12:41:58 PM »
check out Chromebooks - It has worked out really well for me, I haven't used my Windows machine for a while now

+1

I didn't think a chromebook would be sufficient but I can meet almost all my non-work needs with cloud storage and web based programs.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2018, 01:12:58 PM »
Is there a PC option that has the trackpad flexibility that MacBooks do? I'm using a MacBook for the first time at work and I wish I had those gestures on my personal laptop.

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2018, 02:01:31 PM »

Seconded - I say that as a diehard lifelong mac user. I couldn't stomach the price of a new Macbook when I was really only using it for Internet, google docs, creating online listings for my side business.

I was skeptical but was pleasantly surprised at how well the chromebook has served me. Downsides: It doesn't have a cmd key, so I had to get used to PC-esque keyboard shortcuts, and, oddly, it doesn't have a capslock key? Strange, annoying, but not a dealbreaker. Especially since the chromebook cost $300 (and by using credit card points and Amazon gift cards I didn't actually pay nearly that), rather than a couple grand for a macbook.

(I do have a huge, old-but-still-runs desktop Mac that has Adobe Creative Suite 5.5 on it so I can still do design and Photoshop work on it when needed).

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2018, 02:07:06 PM »
Just another single data point. I have an Asus laptop, bought it new for $350 in March 2016. I upgraded it with an SSD ($80) and 8 GB of ram ($35). So in total I paid $465. These are the specs...

-i3 processor
-12 GB ram
-SSD 256 GB

noplaceliketheroad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2018, 04:54:51 PM »
I mean, if an apocalypse happens and the world gets taken over by cockroaches and I'm the sole survivor and one day I wonder into an abandoned office and there's a PC somehow connected to the internet I would probably not even bother.

Mac or bust basically.

(This is only like 10% a joke).

EricNYC

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • My blog -- software engineering and various thoughts on life
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2018, 08:13:48 PM »
How much do you plan to move the machine around and how strongly do you feel about the OS?

I bought a refurb MacBook in 2013, and it's been trucking along just fine since. I use it for work (software engineering/data science - though you usually ship extremely intensive work out to a beefy server, plus occasional GarageBand-ing) and for play.

AppleCare was a waste of money, for me. I never used it. Had a good case and exercised plenty of caution with it. I have dropped it a few times but usually only about a foot or so.

Windows' built in antivirus was always good to me. I wouldn't bother. Just be responsible with your browsing habits and set up ad blockers, script blockers, etc.

It seems to me that you should go with a Windows laptop. You can probably get a better GPU on a Windows device, but if you absolutely need OS X only video editing software, your options may be limited.

mschaus

• Stubble
    • blog
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2018, 12:17:53 PM »
I get all my laptops and family phones on eBay now -- I just got a 2015 Macbook Air for $400. Screaming deal if you ask me, especially since my outgoing 2011 model I can still sell for $250.

Cadman

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2018, 08:40:13 PM »
Both DW and I have refurb MacBook Airs...think I bought mine in 2011 and it's still my primary machine. Upgraded a family member's 2010 MBP to SSD and threw in a new battery ($20) and it's basically a new machine. Tremendous value as well. No sense in changing horses mid-stream.

Edit: The latest Apple laptops have abandoned one of the greatest features ever offered: MagSafe. The good news is you can buy a third party adapter off Amazon for a few bucks, but it's still a bone-headed move on Apple's part.

libertarian4321

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2018, 04:19:03 AM »

Really?  Good God, man, what are you doing to those computers?

I've purchased PCs since the 80s, and I've never had a single one last less than 5-years.  What are you doing your PCs?  Dropping a load of bricks on them?

- typed on an 12-year old Dell desktop.  Not exactly a screamer for gaming at this point, but works fine for video, photos, internet, email, office, etc.

There are plenty of FREE anti-virus programs for PCs that work just fine.  I have paid $0 to keep this thing virus free for the past 8 years (the first 4 years, my employer paid for the anti-virus).

Did I mention that PCs are vastly cheaper than Apple products?  I'm a multimillionaire, I can afford to pay the Apple "cool" premium, but see no reason to do so.  For the same reason I drive a Chevy rather than a BMW/Mercedes/whatever.

libertarian4321

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2018, 04:46:29 AM »

Around Thanksgiving, I bought my first ever Chromebook mostly to connect to an additional older TV that wasn't a "smart" TV.  I wanted something more versatile than a Fire TV stick, but didn't need the features of a full notebook.

So far, it works great for web surfing, watching videos, audio, etc.  I've been pleasantly surprised.  Though it does have limited HD capacity.  For ~$160 (this was a Dell black Friday thing), I really don't care if it doesn't last forever- just want to get 2-3 years out of it.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2018, 11:17:30 AM »
As i mentioned earlier I would go with a PC BUT if you gotta have an apple I saw the Mac Book air Laptops today on Groupon Refurbished for 50% off and for 40$ can get a 3 year warranty.

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2018, 12:19:08 PM »

+1

I didn't think a chromebook would be sufficient but I can meet almost all my non-work needs with cloud storage and web based programs.
And they can use external HDs (and other local storage devices) - I don't trust cloud storage.

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2018, 12:21:16 PM »

Seconded - I say that as a diehard lifelong mac user. I couldn't stomach the price of a new Macbook when I was really only using it for Internet, google docs, creating online listings for my side business.

I was skeptical but was pleasantly surprised at how well the chromebook has served me. Downsides: It doesn't have a cmd key, so I had to get used to PC-esque keyboard shortcuts, and, oddly, it doesn't have a capslock key? Strange, annoying, but not a dealbreaker. Especially since the chromebook cost $300 (and by using credit card points and Amazon gift cards I didn't actually pay nearly that), rather than a couple grand for a macbook.

(I do have a huge, old-but-still-runs desktop Mac that has Adobe Creative Suite 5.5 on it so I can still do design and Photoshop work on it when needed).
You can use most any USB keyboard with ChromeBooks.
An Asus Chromebox 3 Mini Desktop Computer just might be my next computer.

WalkaboutStache

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2018, 07:59:24 PM »
Amazon just entered into an agreement with Apple whereby third party sellers of used and refurbished Macs will not be able to sell them on Amazon anymore.  In an NPR news item, a top seller said that 90% of his business comes from Amazon.   I expect a fire sale, and will probably start monitoring prices for machines now.  My 2012 MacBook Air is struggling (though I might be able to squeeze a couple more years out of it), so if I find something good I might decide to upgrade.

NewDay1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2018, 12:16:02 PM »
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm taking it all into consideration.  I also forgot about needing Microsoft office suite for whatever new laptop I get.  Researching now if there are free downloads of Microsoft Office suites...   Feedback welcomed if you know about this.   Thanks again.

rdaneel0

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2018, 12:22:52 PM »
I vote chromebook and office 365.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2018, 12:56:52 PM »
A Dell refurb from the Dell Outlet is my vote.  Cheaper than "new" but indistinguishable from new and the same warranty as new.  Business grade, so Optiplex if you go desktop, Latitude if laptop.

Apple is just flat-out not worth the price premium.   Years ago they were the first on the block to throw new tech in their computers but they've lagged behind a hilarious amount the past few years.

Rimu05

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2018, 01:02:53 PM »

Don't spread FUD, you haven't needed to buy antivirus for years. It's built into windows, and you never notice it (unless you get a virus, which I haven't in at least two decades). And there are plenty of other free ones that work great too.

PCs (and macs are PCs) are commodities now. It's basically just a fashion/taste question; if you like OS X get Mac, if not get a Win10 machine. They both do the same, function the same, and are equally safe.

Personally I like choice and upgradability, and can't make sense of OSX, so buy Win PCs. The glued together macs are fashion accessories with a premium price, but if you need OSX then that's your choice.

I have a 2010 Macbook pro that has outlived all the other laptops in the family. To be fair, I don't think the average consumer considers upgradeability. For me, they serve different functions. When I was doing more creative work in college (editing videos, etc), my MAC far beat out PC. When I was in High school and gaming, undeniably the PC was a better choice. Gaming on a MAC is just laughable.

On that note, I feel in the pre 2010 era is when Apple made good products. The current lap top lineup is underwhelming to me. My 2010 has been dropped among other things and survives still. I am hoping the don't add a touch screen though because that puts me off a lot of laptops.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2018, 01:16:08 PM »
When I was doing more creative work in college (editing videos, etc), my MAC far beat out PC.
Can you explain this viewpoint to me? I haven't understood it yet I hear it all the time.  Adobe makes their stuff for both platforms, and the underlying hardware is essentially the same (x86 since 2006).

WalkaboutStache

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2018, 11:29:28 PM »
I just got an Apple Refurbished 15 inch MacBook Pro.  I considered the Huawei MateBook X Pro, which looked very solid and had very good reviews, but in the end I decided to pay more for something that I hope will last me longer.  For reference, my current MacBook Air lasted 4.5 years, but it is simply struggling too much with everyday tasks. 

When I got the Air, I went with the cheapest possible model.  The gamble I took when I got it more or less broke even, but I think it should have performed acceptably for twice as long – hence my bet on the Pro.  I thought about getting the 13 inch, but I am hoping that when all is said and done the 15 will push me past that 8-9 year mark.

lovegoodyu

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2018, 12:50:23 PM »
I've been using PCs my entire life until 2014 when I bought a Macbook Pro. I will never go back to PCs :)

Based on what you described, photos and videos work really well on Mac so I'd recommend a Mac - and you are already familiar with it!

There are a lot of PCs nowadays to pick one from but I did hear good things about chromebook. My personal favorite would be lenovo (thinkpad equivolent) but the only reason I'd use a PC is for Excel shortcuts.

zygote

• Bristles
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2018, 01:28:55 AM »
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm taking it all into consideration.  I also forgot about needing Microsoft office suite for whatever new laptop I get.  Researching now if there are free downloads of Microsoft Office suites...   Feedback welcomed if you know about this.   Thanks again.

If you have access to an edu email address, you can get the student/teacher Office 365 for free. It's Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and OneNote. A great deal, since most universities let you keep your student email forever now...

WalkaboutStache

• Stubble
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2018, 01:37:19 AM »

Is this for work which requires you to share documents with other people who edit them back and forth?  If you only share occasionally, or even if you share a lot and the documents don't require a lot of very customized formatting, OpenOffice more than fills the gap.  I use MS Office for work, but I don't think I ever bought it after I graduated from college (back in the days of Netvigator).

Rimu05

• Bristles
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2019, 06:54:42 PM »
When I was doing more creative work in college (editing videos, etc), my MAC far beat out PC.
Can you explain this viewpoint to me? I haven't understood it yet I hear it all the time.  Adobe makes their stuff for both platforms, and the underlying hardware is essentially the same (x86 since 2006).

I was editing with Final Cut Pro 7 mostly and it was seamless compared to anything I'd used before. I don't know if things have changed. The rendering was faster, interface was user friendly and it was much better laid out and easy for me to use in terms of editing. On one of my news classes we used a software on PC, not sure which it was but my gosh, it was painful compared to Final Cut pro 7.

StashingAway

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2019, 07:34:50 PM »
If you use Illustrator don't get a new Macbook Pro. They've been having problems for over a year with their new iOS that essentially makes Illustrator non-functional. My wife's laptop is getting returned after 9 months of trying to get the program to not crash. Pretty crazy that a $1200 piece of hardware designed for Adobe products, doesn't work with Adobe products.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2019, 07:57:06 AM »

I was editing with Final Cut Pro 7 mostly and it was seamless compared to anything I'd used before. I don't know if things have changed. The rendering was faster, interface was user friendly and it was much better laid out and easy for me to use in terms of editing. On one of my news classes we used a software on PC, not sure which it was but my gosh, it was painful compared to Final Cut pro 7.
Ah, OK.  I heard good things about FCP back in the day (which is software made specifically by Apple), though I never used it.  From my understanding though, the last couple versions have been more "dumbed down" and pros continue using the old versions or have switched to Adobe/Avid/other.

Rimu05

• Bristles
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2019, 09:51:04 AM »

Ah, OK.  I heard good things about FCP back in the day (which is software made specifically by Apple), though I never used it.  From my understanding though, the last couple versions have been more "dumbed down" and pros continue using the old versions or have switched to Adobe/Avid/other.

This doesn't surprise me. Looking at the new Macs, I have very little desire to buy one. These days I can't justify anything Apple. They used to make great products in my opinion but I am glad I bought mine ages ago as I have very little desire to buy anything Apple lately. I am hoping my Macbook keeps going as it serves its purpose. On that note, I have been very underwhelmed by laptops that are out there. It seems if you want one to last you have to spend regardless of whether it is windows or PC.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2019, 11:05:07 AM »
This doesn't surprise me. Looking at the new Macs, I have very little desire to buy one. These days I can't justify anything Apple. They used to make great products in my opinion but I am glad I bought mine ages ago as I have very little desire to buy anything Apple lately. I am hoping my Macbook keeps going as it serves its purpose. On that note, I have been very underwhelmed by laptops that are out there. It seems if you want one to last you have to spend regardless of whether it is windows or PC.
Or, you could look at it a different way--$1000 buys you a WAY better laptop nowadays than it did even 5 years ago, even ignoring technological advancements and inflation.  I remember back in '02 when Black Friday was still worth it, one of the big box office supply stores had a fantastic deal on a laptop--$1000 for a Pentium 4 laptop.  It weighed probably 9 lbs, had the shape of a 2x10, lasted about 2 hours on battery, and felt like it would fall apart.  That same $1000 ($1400 today) will get you a tricked out XPS 13 with a very sleek, rigid, sub-3lb aluminum chassis with an HD screen and it'll last all day on a charge.

Of course, you can also opt for something a couple years old--I scored a used Dell Inspiron 7368 for about $300.  It features a similar all-aluminum chassis, expandable memory and replaceable HDD or SSD, and similar battery life, along with a gorgeous display.

When someone talks about a computer "lasting," there's really three things at play:
1) hardware (either electronics or the case) breaking.  Unless it's something soldered to the motherboard, it's not difficult to repair, and the more recent aluminum chassis are fantastic.  I also recommend getting a used business line computer, because they tend to be built better.
2) hardware becoming obsolete - if you choose wisely, you can upgrade down the road.  And CPU performance hasn't seen huge gains in the last several years, so this really isn't an issue.
3) the computer bogging down.  A clean wipe and install of the OS will take care of this.  Just back up your data ahead of time.

scottnews

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2019, 11:08:05 AM »

If you go PC or MAC, you might want to give LibreOffice a try.   Its a good Office alternative.  https://www.libreoffice.org/
+1 about Dell refurbished Latitude https://www.dellrefurbished.com/laptops   for the PC route
Chromebooks are worth a look into as well.  I've been wanting to give one a try, but I have a couple perfectly working PCs at home.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2019, 11:38:23 AM »
My first and only Macbook Pro lasted for 8 years. Since I've been on Windows work laptops the past few years, I can say I miss my Mac. The track pad, screen, and general feel of the metal chassis were much much better than the Lenovo/Dell ones I use now.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2019, 12:13:17 PM »
That same $1000 ($1400 today) will get you a tricked out XPS 13 with a very sleek, rigid, sub-3lb aluminum chassis with an HD screen and it'll last all day on a charge.
I can vouch for that XPS 13.  I have one (work-issued).  ~2.5lbs, 8th gen quad-core  i7 w/8GB of RAM and a fast SSD with a near-bezel-less 13" 1920x1080 display.  Worked all day remotely yesterday.  Turned it on at 8am and only had to plug it in around 3:45.  You could only dream of this even five years ago.  Mine was around $800 refurbished from the Dell Outlet.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 12:16:09 PM by ketchup »