Author Topic: Mac/Apple--Trackpad Requiring Many Clicks to Work  (Read 6601 times)

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
Mac/Apple--Trackpad Requiring Many Clicks to Work
« on: June 22, 2014, 03:43:30 PM »
Any Apple/Mac users out there know how to fix a problem with a MacBook trackpad? The internet articles I read said that this could be fixed with a new battery. I knew that my Mac needed a new battery, so that reason made sense and I bought the battery. While the problem got a bit better, it's still not normal. In places where I'd normally click twice to do something, I sometimes have to click 5 or even 8 times.

Of course, I would love to avoid buying a new computer!

Any advice?

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
Re: Mac/Apple--Trackpad Requiring Many Clicks to Work
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 03:47:27 PM »
Any advice?

Find out what the part number is and replace the trackpad using an iFixit guide?

That or use an external mouse. ;)

Chrissy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2014, 05:09:21 PM »
I'm also having this problem, and I, too, have replaced the battery.  My MBP is a 2008 refurbished body with 2009 hardware.  Yours?

I hate it when I put the cursor into text and it doesn't stick!!!

Maybe the the springs? shocks?  can be replaced?  Other than that, we're looking at the magic mouse or magic trackpad, $69ea.  Or, maybe there are off-brand equivalents. 

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2014, 05:42:57 PM »
Thanks! These posts reminded me that the Apple guy said I could replace the trackpad for $69, but his recommendation was to see if the battery fix worked or not first before spending more $$.

Now, what is weird is that I've been having fewer problems for the past hour or so.

I have a 2009 MacBook Pro.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2014, 06:00:17 PM »
Thanks! These posts reminded me that the Apple guy said I could replace the trackpad for $69, but his recommendation was to see if the battery fix worked or not first before spending more $$.

Now, what is weird is that I've been having fewer problems for the past hour or so.

Mechanic's dilemma. It ceases to misbehave when service and part replacement is threatened.

If you're fishing for part search help, you're gonna need to be a lot more specific.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2014, 06:07:52 PM »
Try fiddling with any options - tap to click, etc - ie, turn them off one by one and see if anything helps.

But yeah, if all else fails, an $8 Microsoft mouse :)

madmax

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2014, 12:22:39 AM »
Try fiddling with any options - tap to click, etc - ie, turn them off one by one and see if anything helps.

+1, try setting up tap to click and see if tapping works for you instead of physically depressing the trackpad.

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2014, 01:44:04 AM »
Stick you palm on the trackpad so you cover all of it and hold it down for 30 seconds.

Failing that there's a screen under the battery compartment that can be adjusted.

lpep

• Bristles
    • My MMM journal
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2014, 03:15:14 AM »
Uh oh. Commenting to follow because mine (early 2009) is starting to do the same thing. Anyone else recently update to Snow Leopard..?

innkeeper77

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2014, 08:30:00 AM »
My wife's had the same issue- and there is a free workaround!

You can go into the settings, and change mouse clicks from being physical, to recognizing taps on the trackpad. This way a quick tap- not enough to push down the physical mechanism- will register as a click.

Her trackpad completely stopped recognizing clicks, so we had to plug in an external mouse to do this. However, it worked fine for over three years. If the settings ever get changed, you might need to plug in an external mouse again to reset them, but it isn't really a huge deal.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2014, 12:53:56 PM »

Mechanic's dilemma. It ceases to misbehave when service and part replacement is threatened.

If you're fishing for part search help, you're gonna need to be a lot more specific.

That is funny. Maybe I need to threaten my trackpad more? Thank you for your scientific answer. ;-)

Hmmmm…no I am not fishing for part search help. The other poster asked me about my computer so I told him/her.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2014, 12:55:28 PM »
My wife's had the same issue- and there is a free workaround!

You can go into the settings, and change mouse clicks from being physical, to recognizing taps on the trackpad. This way a quick tap- not enough to push down the physical mechanism- will register as a click.

Her trackpad completely stopped recognizing clicks, so we had to plug in an external mouse to do this. However, it worked fine for over three years. If the settings ever get changed, you might need to plug in an external mouse again to reset them, but it isn't really a huge deal.

Yes. I think Mr. Apple Man did this too. I would have remembered except the overstimulation of the Apple store seems to have temporarily erased my memory…until someone else mentions something that I recall Apple Man said and then I remember. =-)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!