Author Topic: Luxury Vinyl Plank?  (Read 3111 times)

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
Luxury Vinyl Plank?
« on: June 09, 2020, 10:30:01 AM »
We have been in our house for 7 years and the main living area carpet is starting to look really bad, as is the hardwood in the kitchen. I know we can refinish the hardwood, but I hate how easily it is getting scratched by the dogs.  I much preferred the laminate in my cheap house.

My husband really doesn't want to go laminate (fake wood), but we are both intrigued by luxury vinyl plank. 

I was looking for some opinions and reviews about LVP- have you used it? How does it wear? Is it going to signifigantly cheapen the value of my house if we decide to sell down the road?  (Should I just put more carpet in...)

TrMama

Re: Luxury Vinyl Plank?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2020, 10:43:21 AM »
Following because I have the same issue in my house. I hate the carpet in our basement and want to replace with some kind of hard surface floor.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2020, 10:43:26 AM »
We have been in our house for 7 years and the main living area carpet is starting to look really bad, as is the hardwood in the kitchen. I know we can refinish the hardwood, but I hate how easily it is getting scratched by the dogs.  I much preferred the laminate in my cheap house.

My husband really doesn't want to go laminate (fake wood), but we are both intrigued by luxury vinyl plank. 

I was looking for some opinions and reviews about LVP- have you used it? How does it wear? Is it going to signifigantly cheapen the value of my house if we decide to sell down the road?  (Should I just put more carpet in...)

We installed LVP in much of our house because we have pets and needed something that was easy to clean and maintain (and we find carpet kind of gross). It’s been a few years now, and we’re still really happy with it. It’s sturdy and looks good. We don’t have any plans to sell so we don’t make decisions based on market value.

A few years earlier, before we knew what we were doing, we installed laminate in our kitchen. Never again. That did not wear nearly as well as the LVP and it’s much more easily damaged.

tthree

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2020, 10:59:26 AM »
Do it!  Most have a 25 year residential warranty.  We just refinished our basement and we installed LVP throughout.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2020, 11:07:38 AM »
I've come to love LVP, even though if money and durability were no object I'd install hardwood throughout. LVP is not going to look as great as freshly-installed wood floors (or tile floors), but the better bands have improved their looks to the point where it's "good enough" for me.  LVT also has a number of advantages over wood or tile, such as:

The durability is great, and it's really easy to self-install.  I can install a medium-sized room in an afternoon by myself, and it can go right on top of other flooring (e.g. laminate or tile).  IT's also super easy to clean, as there's no grout-lines and you can use a broom, vacuum or mop (unlike say, carpet).  There's no worry about expansion/contraction. Lately I've seen a whole bunch of commercial sites (e.g. restaurants, stores) using them, which tells you a lot about how durable they are.

At ~$3/sqft with an attached underlayment it wins out for us most in most locations, most of the time.  YMMV.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 11:24:59 AM by nereo »

Papa bear

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2020, 11:20:01 AM »
I've come to love LVP, even though if money and durability were no option I'd install hardwood throughout. LVP is not going to look as great as freshly-installed wood floors (or tile floors), but the better bands have improved their looks to the point where it's "good enough" for me.  LVT also has a number of advantages over wood or tile, such as:

The durability is great, and it's really easy to self-install.  I can install a medium-sized room in an afternoon by myself, and it can go right on top of other flooring (e.g. laminate or tile).  IT's also super easy to clean, as there's no grout-lines and you can use a broom, vacuum or mop (unlike say, carpet).  There's no worry about expansion/contraction. Lately I've seen a whole bunch of commercial sites (e.g. restaurants, stores) using them, which tells you a lot about how durable they are.

At ~$3/sqft with an attached underlayment it wins out for us most in most locations, most of the time.  YMMV.
Exactly this.  I now use it for my rentals, especially for bathrooms, kitchens, and basements, but also in bedrooms where we can’t save the old hardwood. I also have it in my own home in the basement.  As for resale? It’s all a matter of personal taste, but it’s becoming much more popular in new builds due to the speed of installation.  I can still get solid oak hardwood for under $3/sf, but it would take me 4-5 times as long to install.  And labor takes time or money. 

Plus check out the DIY forums. This has been talked about quite extensively there. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2020, 11:29:17 AM »
@Papa bear - where are you finding solid-oak hardwood for under $3/sqft?  pre-finished? 
I ask because the last room where we'll redo the flooring will be our bedroom, and that's one place where I'd take the time to put in real hardwood.  But most sources I've found are $4 and up.  And its a big enough room where it'll add up.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2020, 11:42:47 AM »
Paging @Dicey our resident house-flipper/LVP evangelist.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2020, 11:52:42 AM »
Does anyone have brands they recommend? 

I just HATE our hardwood.   I don't care TOO much about resale, but we are in a neighborhood with fairly high end homes, so I'm a little scared going lower. (Our house is the least expensive or 2nd least in the neighborhood.)

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2020, 11:57:01 AM »

I just HATE our hardwood.   I don't care TOO much about resale, but we are in a neighborhood with fairly high end homes, so I'm a little scared going lower. (Our house is the least expensive or 2nd least in the neighborhood.)

We've used Lifeproof (home Depot brand) in two rooms thus far and have zero complains. Goes together well, has a nice attached pad and we've had zero issue with wear in our current or former house, even with pets. FWIW Consumer REports rating Armstrong brand very highly - I just haven't personally used it.

Dogastrophe

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2020, 12:06:59 PM »
Like most things, not all LVT is created equal (same for laminate).  At the higher end of quality, it is hard wearing and somewhat scratch resistant.  If you are going below grade, LVT or a stone core product are ideal.

We put LVT in our main office ~5 years ago (high traffic area) - except for some fade, it looks great. 

Two years ago we installed laminate (high quality line) in our shipping office - it has held up well to work boots scuffing across it all day long.

Both are very easy to install in DIY situations.  Don't skimp on the underlay (unless using type with the underlay attached), follow the instructions.

My company is a distributor for several flooring lines, including solid and engineered hardwood, laminate, LVT, SPC and stone core.  Over past 5 years we have shifted from a high % of solid and engineered wood sales to high % of laminate.  In past year LVT is taking sales from laminate.  We bring solid in as special order now and stock a small quantity of eng wood.

Papa bear

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2020, 12:11:32 PM »
@Papa bear - where are you finding solid-oak hardwood for under $3/sqft?  pre-finished? 
I ask because the last room where we'll redo the flooring will be our bedroom, and that's one place where I'd take the time to put in real hardwood.  But most sources I've found are $4 and up.  And its a big enough room where it'll add up.
Menards. Their cheapest hardwood comes in at 2.79 here.  Then wait for 11% off. It’s red oak, 2 1/4” wide.  It’s your classic wood flooring look.

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2020, 12:19:33 PM »
I'm with hubby, go with real wood.
They words Luxury and Vinyl should not be used in the same sentence.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2020, 12:28:39 PM »
Our favorite so far is a Shaw product, private labeled as Downs H20 for Flooring America stores. Because of my flooring background, I tend to favor Mom & Pop shops over the big boxes. What we don't like about big box stores is their product it too readily identifiable. We also feel we can get better value working with local providers.

That doesn't stop us from looking whenever we're in a warehouse store or when Costco has something featured. Things we look for, besides the look of the product, are thickness and edge quality. If the sample's edges are easily damaged, all product consideration ends instantly. The edges are critically important, for ease of installation and product durability. The Downs product is also cork backed, which we love. It makes it more expensive, but it's a great added value.

Papa bear

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2020, 12:48:27 PM »
Our favorite so far is a Shaw product, private labeled as Downs H20 for Flooring America stores. Because of my flooring background, I tend to favor Mom & Pop shops over the big boxes. What we don't like about big box stores is their product it too readily identifiable. We also feel we can get better value working with local providers.

That doesn't stop us from looking whenever we're in a warehouse store or when Costco has something featured. Things we look for, besides the look of the product, are thickness and edge quality. If the sample's edges are easily damaged, all product consideration ends instantly. The edges are critically important, for ease of installation and product durability. The Downs product is also cork backed, which we love. It makes it more expensive, but it's a great added value.
I’ve always had concerns about cork backed.  I use LVT since it’s waterproof.  Adding cork, even though it’s naturally resistant, doesn’t that take away one of the best properties of vinyl? It can still rot and mold. 

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2020, 01:54:00 PM »
I'm with hubby, go with real wood.
They words Luxury and Vinyl should not be used in the same sentence.

Well, I think he would just go with keeping carpet in the living room, and changing the hard wood to tile in the kitchen.  Neither of us like the hardwood; but he doesn't want the laminate wood we had in our old house in the "new" one.

MyAlterEgoIsTaller

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2020, 03:42:51 PM »
Nope.  Dioxins, phthaltes, mercury, continued emitting of VOCs, and it's a petroleum product that's virtually impossible to recycle.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2020, 03:48:59 PM »

I’ve always had concerns about cork backed.  I use LVT since it’s waterproof.  Adding cork, even though it’s naturally resistant, doesn’t that take away one of the best properties of vinyl? It can still rot and mold. 
IDK if that's true of cork in its natural state. If so, when processed into flooring, it might be treated with inhibitors. Interestingly, cork has been a long lasting and somewhat underappreciated floorcovering for scores of years, so maybe it's naturally resistant? I never dealt with cork much in my career, as most of my time was spent on the fuzzy-side-up side of the business.

Side note: I completely agree that wood floors are beautiful and are a top flooring choice. However, they are more expensive, and far more vulnerable to damage than LVP. But if you're a homeowner with pets, kids or a pool, or as in our case, a landlord, you'd have to search long and hard to beat the value of LVP. Nobody's saying it's the most beautiful thing out there, but compared with other long-wearing, long-lasting floors, it is by far the best value/comfort/durability proposition on the market today, IMO. And wood floors go out of style just like anything else. Seen any new maple floors lately? No, because they shrink up and look like crap after a decade or so.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2020, 04:55:26 PM »
Nope.  Dioxins, phthaltes, mercury, continued emitting of VOCs, and it's a petroleum product that's virtually impossible to recycle.
Worth checking out the brand differences. Some are certified low VOC, phthalates free (Lifepeoof is one).  Though you aren’t going to get away from the petroleum issue.  At the same time some wood flooring is fought with environmental, ethical and health concerns, particularly true of imported and exotic woods. If you go hardwood make sure you check these things as well.

Razzle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2020, 05:03:12 PM »

I installed Smartcore Ultra from Lowes about a year ago and have had no issues.  It runs my entire lower level (1,000 sq ft), including kitchen and bath.  I have dogs that were destroying the engineered hardwood that came with the house and this has not scratched at all, I love it.

I should add that I'm not in a high-end neighborhood, so I'm not overly concerned about resale.

SweatingInAR

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2020, 01:40:21 PM »
I'm a huge fan of the Shaw Champion Winner's Circle LVP that I had a local company install in my house.

They ripped out the carpet and installed new vinyl for ~$3/sf. It's glue-down, so much easier to replace a damaged plank than click-lock.