Author Topic: luxurious veggie-ful recipes  (Read 7603 times)

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
luxurious veggie-ful recipes
« on: January 01, 2015, 08:24:31 PM »
my only food-related resolution this year is to eat tons of vegetables. a few years ago i did fuhrman's "eat to live" program and though i really missed meat and fat, i loved getting so many veggies.

we have a few preparations that we like a lot around here, but i would love to hear your best, most delicious, best-veggies-you-ever-had recipes! i'm particularly looking for recipes with hardy items that will keep, like kale and cabbage and beets, so i can make a big batch on the weekend and use it as a side all week.

we are not afraid of good fats, but my husband can't eat gluten or tomatoes (allergic) so recipes that don't focus on those two items would be most appreciated.

to get the ball rolling, here are two of my most favorite luxurious ways to eat veggies:
- roast a whole chicken (butterflied) or skin-on chicken thighs atop a bed of lemon-tossed kale (the kale turns into one of the most savory delicious things ever)
- shredded beets and carrots, dressed with sesame oil and rice wine vinegar, sprinkled with blue cheese before serving

looking forward to seeing what you've got! thanks!

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
Re: luxurious veggie-ful recipes
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2015, 09:19:24 PM »
I love quite a few of this blogger's recipes: here's one that lasts pretty well, if you blanch the cabbage (also softens it).  It has a really yummy 'umami' taste.

http://ohsheglows.com/2011/12/14/over-the-rainbow-cabbage-salad-with-tahini-lemon-dressing/

I also do an 'everything but the kitchen sink' style 'greek' salad from time to time, also scooping out the cucumber seeds and blanching everything briefly with boiling water ( or using roasted peppers, zukes, carrots--I know, it's an abomination!) and it will last a few days with a very herby vinagrette (sp?!?) dressing.  I add fresh avocadoes on the day I'm eating it.

ooh thanks for the link -- there are a lot of nice veggie recipes on her blog.

your greek salad sounds nice, too. i've never heard of the technique of quickly blanching veggies to soften them and help them keep. something worth experimenting with for sure!

DollarBill

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 06:01:48 AM »
I'm particularly looking for recipes with hardy items that will keep, like kale and cabbage and beets, so i can make a big batch on the weekend and use it as a side all week.
I like to make a kale super salad. It will last 2-3 weeks and I never get tired of eating it.

Mostly Kale leaves-tough stems removed and leaves chopped (I normally buy the prewashed/cut bag)
Red or Napa Cabbage, chopped
Red onion, finely chopped
Radishes, chopped
Carrots, shredded
Celery, chopped
Edamami
Red bell pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
Nuts- sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, crushed almonds or crushed pecans
Craisins
Salad Dressing of your choice

Optional Topping Ideas:
Berries
Brussels sprouts, stems removed and chopped
Sliced hard boiled Eggs
Cucumber, peeled and chopped

I also like to use julienned zucchini and squash for a pasta substitute (Like pad Thai) and use cauliflower to make rice substitute.     

benjenn

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 06:18:16 AM »
I started a blog a couple years ago when we moved to a plant-based diet.  While I didn't keep up with the blog for very long, there are quite a few really good recipe on there and we still follow a plant-based diet.  Hope you can find something you like.

http://plantbasedbiased.blogspot.com/2012/08/a-simple-resolution.html

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2015, 06:35:11 AM »
A long time ago, I edited a cookbook of Indian recipes and put it on the internet.
It has a bunch of vegetarian recipes that may be helpful.

http://redchutney.com/Book/IndianRecipes.pdf

Enjoy.

maisee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2015, 06:37:21 AM »
I find one of the easiest ways to get a lot of veggies into my meals is to roast anything that looks good in the fridge. My favorites are brussels sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, turnips, onions and kale. These are the usual suspects. Also, potatoes, but in moderation. A couple of recipes packed with vegetables that are pretty easy to make:

Collard green wraps (the peanut sauce really makes these):  http://www.shape.com/healthy-eating/meal-ideas/6-boyfriend-approved-vegan-recipes/slide/4 

Veggie pizza: pretty much just grab store-prepared dough, add on all the sauteed or roasted veggies you want and bake (add cheese if you want). Here's a sample recipe:  http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/12946-roasted-apple-butternut-squash-and-caramelized-onion-pizza

Veg patties: there are a ton of recipes on veggie-style burgers, but these actually taste good. To me they kind of taste like latkes and they hold together extremely well.  http://kblog.lunchboxbunch.com/2012/02/easy-sweet-potato-veggie-burgers-with.html    I made these once in preparation for a week-long trip and just reheated them for meals and cut up some avocados for a burger topping. So effing good.

Enjoy!

SailAway

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2015, 07:56:48 AM »
Well, I was going to recommend veggie chili but if your husband is allergic to tomatoes that won't work. If you are into tons of veggies, meat and fat but no gluten, may I suggest paleo? My default dinner when I don't know what else to cook is meat/fat, veggie, veggie, salad. So maybe some sausage, kale, green beans and a salad. People think paleo is all about the meat but really we just replaced the starch with another veggie.

Stir-frys are great for packing in tons of veggies. How about a broccoli cheddar soup? I put kale in mine in addition to the broccoli. I pretty much throw extra veggies into everything. We have egg scramble for breakfast most mornings. Some days it's just peppers, onions, spinach or kale. If you had leftover ham, some diced broccoli would go well. I like shredded turnip in egg dishes, too.

dandeliongirl75

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2015, 08:23:08 AM »
Check out this website:

http://101cookbooks.com/

Most of her recipes are easy to adapt and many are one pot style cooking....I love many of the things I have made from here.
you can also search based on ingredients to I will look at what I have in and then find something that will work - often leaving out or substituting the expensive ingredients.....
It is all vegetarian, but you could add meat to many things if you wanted to.

minimustache1985

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2015, 09:09:58 AM »
Portabella Pizzas:
Scoop out large portabella mushroom caps, fill with sauce (since your H is allergic to tomatoes you might use pesto), top with cheese and more veggies.  I cook them in the oven for 25 minutes or so at 350.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2015, 11:05:30 AM »
you guys are the best! there are so many great ideas for me to explore here.

last night we ate a huge amount of fresh-picked greens (some in a salad, some roasted under some chicken thighs) and i feel so good this morning. i can't wait to try the collard greens spring roll recipe, and to look around the other suggested sites thoroughly.

thanks and keep them coming!

purplepear

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2015, 11:11:29 AM »
Roasted vegetable enchiladas: http://www.eatliverun.com/stacked-roasted-vegetable-enchiladas/

Super easy recipe (minus chopping up all the vegetables in the world) but super delicious and veggie-ful.

Also, gluten-free and tomato-free (except for the salsa maybe?)

MrsPotato

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2015, 11:29:12 AM »
My favourite go-to kale recipe is just kale (I use lacinato kale) and white cabbage thinly sliced and sauteed with onions, garlic, salt and oil. Very simple but so delicious! I usually have this with fish, chicken breast or whatever meat dish I have. It goes great with pretty much anything!

I'm loving this thread. So many great recipes!

sunnyca

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2015, 11:50:03 AM »
This time of year, I'm really into blended soups.  A favorite is roasted cauliflower and onion soup. 

Dry roast cauliflower and onion (or with a drizzle of olive oil, if desired) then blend with stock until smooth.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  Yum!

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2015, 11:53:33 AM »
This is awesome!  I also have a (mostly dormant) food blog with veggie recipes (among other things).

http://frugalhealthysimple.blogspot.com/

I love that kale idea.  Any veggie under a roasted chicken is delish, and I'd never thought of kale.  I am now going to have to get a whole chicken and roast it.  Maybe next weekend.

Love Oh She Glows recipes.

I also do a lot of blended soups these days - easiest ways to get the boys to eat veggies.  Butternut squash and carrot ginger are the best two in our house.

sunnyca

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2015, 12:14:52 PM »
Oh She Glows is awesome!  I also love ClothesMaketheGirl and PaleOMG recipes- tons of yummy ways to eat veggies there!

Annamal

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2015, 12:16:50 PM »
A little similar to the collared green rolls but I've recently been falling in love with variations on vietnamese summer rolls

http://www.blueapron.com/recipes/vegetarian-summer-rolls-with-spicy-peanut-dipping-sauce

I usually put in pieces of omlette for protein and use vietnamese mint for the peppery taste but one way or another they are wonderful.

marshmallowaddict

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2015, 07:49:17 PM »
This is a great thread - save money and be healthy!

KCalla

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2015, 08:57:55 PM »
So many great resources.  Check out some of my favorited:
Fatfreevegan.com (you could always add oil)
the ppk.com (fabulous vegetable ideas - ppk stands for Post Punk Kitchen - Isa is awesome and generous with her expertise)
HappyHealthyLibrarian.com  use recipe link on vertical menu (great and well researched health info, too)
PlantPoweredKitchen.com (Drena has a great blog)
There are many more, but these are great places to start online.  And definitely check at your local library, if you have one.   There are so many great cookbooks.

purplepear

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2015, 09:02:17 PM »
Cauliflower "fried rice" http://www.domesticate-me.com/cauliflower-fried-rice/

This is one of those recipes I saw on the internet and thought, "There's no way that can taste good."

It's delicious. And all veggies. Nom.

puglogic

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2015, 09:34:07 PM »
This cabbage salad is the stuff dreams are made of. I make a huge batch and just nibble it for days:
http://readfoodeatbooks.wordpress.com/2012/01/30/red-cabbage-salad-w-gorgonzola-walnuts-golden-raisins/

The kale salad from Andrew Weil's latest cookbook - can't recall the name -- is amazing as well.