Author Topic: Lower cost phone option for current AT&T customer?  (Read 2733 times)

Bearded Man

• Handlebar Stache
Lower cost phone option for current AT&T customer?
« on: November 04, 2015, 12:58:31 PM »
My Android phone is almost 3 years old now and long paid off. I've been considering getting one of hte go phones at the AT&T store, one of the Windows phones seemed reasonable at $75 retail and $40 a month unlimited phone and text, 2gb data.

But as I get closer to pulling the trigger I see that the Windows App store is a lot more limited. Almost everything I use (not critical, but nice to have) is on iOS and Android but not on Windows.

So I can get one of their dinky Android phones instead. Blah. Would be fine keeping existing phone if they just allow me to go on the lower cost plan with my existing phone, will have to call them and ask.

But before I do, are there any other good options? Not looking for $10 a month plans with spotty service. Hence one of the reasons I'm considering just going onto the go phone plans on AT&T since they provide the same service. I've heard the Metro PCS style carriers also use these providers infrastructure, however; apparently most report really terrible service...Wonder if they are getting throttled as a second tier customer.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 01:01:01 PM by Bearded Man »

fiftyincher

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Lower cost phone option for current AT&T customer?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2015, 01:03:05 PM »
I've been using PureTalk for awhile now. Completely happy with it. $29/mo, no other fees, unlimited talk/text/400mb data.

therethere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2015, 01:04:34 PM »
I took my ATT phone to Cricket. 35/month. Unlimited talk, text, and 2GB of data (before it drops to 2G speed). No change in service. Uses the same towers. They offer free or partially discounted phones to switch but I didn't take advantage of it. There are multiple to choose from  but you need to keep it activated for a certain amount of time. We bought a used phone on Glyde instead.

No complaints. Love Cricket. I know someone will chime in on how I'm helping ATT on their master plan to switch everyone to cheap month to months then they will raise the price. But whatever. My bill is exactly $70 for 2 phones every month and I'm no longer subsidizing a new phone every two years that I'm not buying...

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2015, 01:13:37 PM »
I'm in love with Ting - my cell bill has dropped from $70+ to $18 or less per month. I switched from AT&T, and have not had any problems with the service in my area, but I'm a pretty light user.

Initially, I took my old out-of-contract unlocked iPhone, and everything worked great. I recently acquired a free Android hand-me-down. Popped in the same sim card, and now its working great. Very easy so far.

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2015, 01:14:05 PM »
I use straight talk wireless on my ATT phone. Not rock bottom cheap, but the pre paid option still beats post paid.

fiftyincher

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2015, 01:17:18 PM »
I use straight talk wireless on my ATT phone. Not rock bottom cheap, but the pre paid option still beats post paid.

I used StraightTalk for quite awhile on ATT. You can save a decent amount by switching to PureTalk.

Brilliantine

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2015, 01:34:28 PM »
Not looking for $10 a month plans with spotty service. Hence one of the reasons I'm considering just going onto the go phone plans on AT&T since they provide the same service. I've heard the Metro PCS style carriers also use these providers infrastructure, however; apparently most report really terrible service...Wonder if they are getting throttled as a second tier customer.

I don't know where that data is coming from. I've used Airvoice's $10 plan in three different metro areas by now, in Arizona, in Oregon, and now in Redmond, WA. I don't think the quality of service is different from ATT's.

With the advent of voice over LTE, there may be a huge difference in voice quality in a few years. Not right now.

Maybe you're talking about extensive data usage? In which case, please ignore. I don't use data unless I really have to so I can't speak to the speeds, etc.

Bearded Man

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2015, 03:21:32 PM »
Not looking for $10 a month plans with spotty service. Hence one of the reasons I'm considering just going onto the go phone plans on AT&T since they provide the same service. I've heard the Metro PCS style carriers also use these providers infrastructure, however; apparently most report really terrible service...Wonder if they are getting throttled as a second tier customer.

I don't know where that data is coming from. I've used Airvoice's $10 plan in three different metro areas by now, in Arizona, in Oregon, and now in Redmond, WA. I don't think the quality of service is different from ATT's.

With the advent of voice over LTE, there may be a huge difference in voice quality in a few years. Not right now.

Maybe you're talking about extensive data usage? In which case, please ignore. I don't use data unless I really have to so I can't speak to the speeds, etc.

No I heard the service was just awful. At least with Metro PCS and others like them. That said, while I don't need blazing fast data speeds, I don't want to be limited to 200MB of data or something ridiculous like that. More important however, is unlimited text and talk, as I work from home most of the time and use my phone.

Landslave

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2015, 03:55:42 PM »
My Android phone is almost 3 years old now and long paid off. I've been considering getting one of hte go phones at the AT&T store, one of the Windows phones seemed reasonable at $75 retail and $40 a month unlimited phone and text, 2gb data.

I formed a group with my friends.  We each bought T-Mobil Smart phones.  I bought a Samsung something or other for $120 and only wish it had a better camera.  We now have 10 in our group and we pay $28 per month each for service.  That is, unlimited voice and text, and 2.5GB data at 4G, and then goes down to 2G after 2.5GB.  If one uses Wi-Fi diligently, the 2.5GB more than lasts.

Bearded Man

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2015, 06:11:33 PM »
Looks like I can bring my own phone and just buy a new $5 SIM card. They also have a $30 a month plan (AT&T) for unlimited talk and text and 100MB of data. Each additional 100MB is $5. I think I'd be better served getting the $40 a month plan with the 2gb of data. It comes in handy when on the road. So it looks like I can keep my existing phone, and just get a cheaper plan. Hooray! I think this is as much as I'm willing to risk for now while I need my phone for work.

kittenwhiskers

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2015, 08:28:46 PM »
I just recently switched from AT&T to Ting. It was a PITA to get everything working, but it only took about a day and they have good customer service. Now that it's set up I've been saving about $40 a month, and my DH and I are data hogs. My only complaint is that at least once they recorded a voicemail as just blank air, not static, for the full length of time of the message. All other voicemails and service have been fine.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2015, 05:01:23 AM »
I believe that I.P. Daley also suggests Consumer Cellular in his guide. I believe they use AT&T towers as well.

Maybe it's an option :)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 05:03:18 AM by alsoknownasDean »

Eric222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2015, 06:04:38 AM »
I'm in love with Ting - my cell bill has dropped from $70+ to $18 or less per month. I switched from AT&T, and have not had any problems with the service in my area, but I'm a pretty light user.

Initially, I took my old out-of-contract unlocked iPhone, and everything worked great. I recently acquired a free Android hand-me-down. Popped in the same sim card, and now its working great. Very easy so far.

+1, I just switched from Ting to T-mobile.  If your phone is paid off, you don't have a contract, and you are happy with your current phone - your total cost to switch is the cost of a new SIM card - Mine is ~$13 with shipping.  And you get $25 back using a referral code - such as the one linked in NotJen's post!