Author Topic: Low flow showerhead?  (Read 3541 times)

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
Low flow showerhead?
« on: May 24, 2017, 07:56:09 AM »
I've been thinknig about switching to a low flow showerhead ever since MMM did his post about inexpensive options for them...

However, if we switch, we want a handheld- so that does limit my choices.

I am looking at 2 Niagra models, both with lots of good reviews, but I'm a bit skeptical... 
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002KTQFXK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2Y24DQTPUG0O9
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002OSMVE4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_6?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

We currently have a builder grade Moen with a 2.5 gpm flow.  We want a low flow to reduce our water bill, as well as environmental impact.  However, I want a shower that will be able to rinse my thick, curly, sometimes long hair without taking an hour, and in the winter, I'd like enough of a spray to be warm! 

So my "ask a mustachian question":
1) Is it worth switching from 2.5 gpm to lower? Should I just stick with what I have? (It's not handheld, which we want, but otherwise we like the shower)
2) Would you go to 1.5 gpm or 2 gpm?
3) Do you have any other suggestions for showerheads?

KungfuRabbit

• Bristles
Re: Low flow showerhead?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 10:10:38 AM »
It's fairly easy to do the math.  Just calculate how much water you use and at what temperature, and then calculate what the water and energy cost. Then scale it down for low flow.

Is that savings worth a less enjoyable shower? 

My wife vetoed. And we actually increased our water pressure instead haha

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 10:45:05 AM »
I have the 1.5 gpm model in OP, works great, but I'm in an area with good water pressure. If your water pressure is low, Bricor (possibly others) makes a great handheld 1.5 gpm showerhead that can be customized for low pressure, had that one in my last place, but pricey at ~$80.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 11:12:45 AM »
I have the 1.5 gpm model in OP, works great, but I'm in an area with good water pressure. If your water pressure is low, Bricor (possibly others) makes a great handheld 1.5 gpm showerhead that can be customized for low pressure, had that one in my last place, but pricey at ~$80.

I really don't know if we have low pressure. It's always seemed perfectly fine to me- so I assume it isn't. 

For $20, it seems worth the gamble...  do you find the spray to be wide enough to cover your shoulders?

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 11:14:13 AM »
my wife has thick hair.  and we have a 1.5GPM rain from niagra.  when i first replaced our dual dumping waterfall of waste shower head my wife thought it was not enough but i just left it and after a week didnt hear anything and now its been over a year and she hasnt said a word about it since day one.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2017, 11:23:20 AM »
my wife has thick hair.  and we have a 1.5GPM rain from niagra.  when i first replaced our dual dumping waterfall of waste shower head my wife thought it was not enough but i just left it and after a week didnt hear anything and now its been over a year and she hasnt said a word about it since day one.

That's good to know. 

I'm willing to do quite a bit in the name of conservation, but husband is less on board with the water saving and the money saving...so I want it to be useable for me, and not annoying for him.

He has wanted a handheld (way easier to clean the shower, which is his chore)- so I think it might be worth trying out for $18.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2017, 11:54:38 AM »

That's good to know. 

I'm willing to do quite a bit in the name of conservation, but husband is less on board with the water saving and the money saving...so I want it to be useable for me, and not annoying for him.

He has wanted a handheld (way easier to clean the shower, which is his chore)- so I think it might be worth trying out for $18.

but how do you build up your immunities if you dont let that mold grow?

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2017, 03:22:49 PM »

I really don't know if we have low pressure. It's always seemed perfectly fine to me- so I assume it isn't. 

For $20, it seems worth the gamble...  do you find the spray to be wide enough to cover your shoulders?

Yep, the spray width is adjustable. Amazon's great for returns if you don't like it, see what you think!

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2017, 04:00:39 PM »
We just changed one of our showers from 2.5 GPM to 1.5 GPM. There's a slight pressure difference but I think the shower head compensates for that by narrowing each stream of water a little bit. I really don't notice it though. It certainly makes me feel less guilty about taking long showers, and I love a long shower. 30 gallons of water gets me 20 minutes of de-stress/relax time instead of 12. We have county water where the pressure is always above 100 PSI.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2017, 09:13:15 AM »
Follow up: we got the 1.5 gpm handheld shower head. I love the handheld. It looks nice (it replaced a Moen).

The flow is really comfortable and more than enough to wash my thick, super curly hair.  It's not a luxurious spa like experience, and I don't think the massage setting does much, but we are happy with it.

Anything we can do with next to no effort to save the environment is good to us!

retiringearly

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2017, 01:56:55 PM »
It took my a while to become accustomed to a low flow head, and I have short straight hair.

Give it a couple weeks to see if you like it.

valsecito

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2017, 06:59:57 PM »
So my "ask a mustachian question":
1) Is it worth switching from 2.5 gpm to lower? Should I just stick with what I have? (It's not handheld, which we want, but otherwise we like the shower)
2) Would you go to 1.5 gpm or 2 gpm?
3) Do you have any other suggestions for showerheads?

1) Yes. I would go with 1.5 gpm, for environmental reasons. I haven't done the math on the energy balance (invested in the tool versus utility emissions/cost savings).
2) 1.5 gpm.
3) A shower heat recovery system might also be a good idea: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR1SdEIX-Yk .