Author Topic: Low flow shower head recommendations?  (Read 14590 times)

Thegoblinchief

Low flow shower head recommendations?
« on: February 26, 2014, 06:20:59 AM »
Any low-flow shower head recommendations? I know MMM has the article from a while back, just curious if there's any others I should consider.

Preferable something that can be ordered online. Don't need stupid fancy features. Ideally a large head but really we need to reduce our hot water consumption.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Low flow shower head recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 06:43:22 AM »
we ordered this one from Amazon because it was cheap and had good reviews, and we have Amazon Prime:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00846E0F8/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

have been using it for a few months and both of us are very pleased. it's definitely not a large head, so might not work for you, but I'm pretty picky about showerheads/water pressure because I have long, thick hair that can be hard to rinse shampoo out of, and I haven't had any issues with this one.

edited to add: it has both 1 GPM and 1.5 GPM settings, and we are actually fine with 1 GPM.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 07:02:32 AM by oscarsmom »

TickInTime

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 06:49:45 AM »
I ordered this one in November and loved it at first shower. My gf though the spray was too weak coming from a 2.5gpm shower head... A week later she loved the spray pattern and strength. We moved 2 months later (I took the shower head with me) and after the first shower with the preinstalled head she requested the Niagara 1.5 head!

I now think this one is too much water for me. I am thinking about 1.25 or 1.0gpm or possible a user selectable one.

Tl;dr:  Buy this you will love it.

Amazon link:  Niagara N2915CH Earth Massage 1.5 GPM Showerhead, Chrome by Niagara Conservation http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0034UWXAS/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_3-Edtb0PVF576

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 06:56:02 AM »
I second the "Niagara Earth Massage Handheld - 1.5gpm" from amazon.  Great pressure, good spray pattern.  I got one with a hose (N2945CH), is a nice feature for washing down the shower area.

jhartt3

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 12:42:30 PM »
If you can find one with a cut-off, so much the better. Then you can cut off the water while you lather up or shave.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 02:15:16 PM »
Oh guys sorry no.

I'll sit on the other side of the fence for this thread, one little luxury I'm happy to pay for is a high pressure shower.

Anyone remember the Seinfeld episode that poked fun at this? I still chuckle at Kramer's elephant shower head solution.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 02:39:13 PM »
@marty: the Niagara Earth Massage Handheld IS a high pressure shower head.  It is low flow but flow and pressure (water speed) are not one in the same.  And it sprays in nice concentric cones so there is no center water-less-ness.

But yes there is no way I am turning the water off while I lather up :-)

nawhite

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Reckless Choice
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2014, 03:50:25 PM »
I picked up the only low flow one they had at Home Depot: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Delta-1-Spray-2-3-4-in-Water-Saving-Showerhead-in-Brushed-Nickel-75153SN/202692269?N=5yc1vZbrdy

My wife approved and we host people at our house about 1x per month and have never had any complaints at all. Its a 1.5gpm which is higher than some on here but it works and feels great. (and its available at Home Depot).

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2014, 09:50:10 AM »
Any low-flow shower head recommendations? I know MMM has the article from a while back, just curious if there's any others I should consider.
Preferable something that can be ordered online. Don't need stupid fancy features. Ideally a large head but really we need to reduce our hot water consumption.
Take a look at an Oxygenics.  High pressure, low flow, adjustable throttle on the shaft, and never needs cleaning.  We've had one for six years and another for five years.

This looks like our model:  http://www.oxygenics.com/shower_heads/bodyspa-hh-w-cc-kit/#

You can ignore their marketing hyperbabble about oxygen-infused water.  The engineering is solid.

simonsez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2014, 10:04:32 AM »
Oh guys sorry no.

I'll sit on the other side of the fence for this thread, one little luxury I'm happy to pay for is a high pressure shower.

Anyone remember the Seinfeld episode that poked fun at this? I still chuckle at Kramer's elephant shower head solution.

Low flow? I don't like the sound of that.

Excerpt 1:
(Kramer walks in wearing a bathrobe, his hair is still flat.)
JERRY: Hey Kramer, my parents are gonna have to move back to Florida, isn't that great?
KRAMER: (halfheartedly) Yeah, well I'm really happy for ya.
JERRY: Hey, you're not giving it to me, man. What's wrong?
KRAMER: I just took a bath, Jerry. A bath?
JERRY: No good?
KRAMER: It's disgusting. I'm sitting there in a tepid pool of my own filth. All kinds of microscopic parasites and organisms having sex all around me.
JERRY: Well, you used to sit in that hot tub?
KRAMER: Jerry, that was superheated water, nothing could live in that.

Excerpt 2:
SALESMAN: What are you looking for?
KRAMER: Power, man. Power.
NEWMAN: Like Silkwood.
KRAMER: That's for radiation.
NEWMAN: That's right.
KRAMER: (pointing to the largest one) Now, what is this?
SALESMAN: That's the Commando 450, I don't sell that one. What about thi-
KRAMER: Well that's what we want, the Commando 450.
SALESMAN: Nah, believe me. It's only used in the circus. For elephants.
NEWMAN: We'll pay anything. We've got the (hands a wad of money to Kramer) What about Jerry?
KRAMER: He couldn't handle that, he's delicate.

Ok, I'll stop now. :)

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2014, 02:05:24 PM »
Ended up finally buying and installed the Niagara Bi-Max showerhead today. It's a big departure from our previous showerhead (2.0gpm actually it was 2.5gpm and a nice rain-like spray).

Not sure if I like it, but I don't hate it either.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 04:06:10 PM by Thegoblinchief »

AJ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2014, 03:53:49 PM »
http://www.amazon.com/Niagara-Earth-Massage-1-25GPM-showerhead/dp/B003UQ17O4/ref=pd_sim_hi_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=14XABKPJ13KVSXGDX67V

I just got this one.  I have no issues with it.

We tried this one. I liked it ok, but hubby hated it. We use this one now: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000H5YCS4/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Totally bare bones, but I love it! Great pressure, and it has a switch to "pause" the shower while you lather up if you want to be extra frugal :)

libertarian4321

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2014, 02:32:27 AM »
Oh guys sorry no.

Excerpt 2:
NEWMAN: We'll pay anything. We've got the (hands a wad of money to Kramer) What about Jerry?

I agree with you and Kramer that this is NOT an area where I'm going to penny pinch. 

I was never able to get a high flow black market shower head like the Commando 450.  However, I always modify the government approved "low flow" (useless) shower heads.  It just takes a few minutes of your time  and will reward you with years of quality showers:

http://www.freeexistence.org/highflow.html

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2014, 05:40:31 AM »
+1, I need pressure & lots of it.

Kramer is a classic. I never stop laughing whenever I see a re-run.

ronnie34

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2015, 04:01:55 PM »
Oh guys sorry no.

Excerpt 1:
(Kramer walks in wearing a bathrobe, his hair is still flat.)
JERRY: Hey Kramer, my parents are gonna have to move back to Florida, isn't that great?
KRAMER: (halfheartedly) Yeah, well I'm really happy for ya.
JERRY: Hey, you're not giving it to me, man. What's wrong?
KRAMER: I just took a bath, Jerry. A bath?
JERRY: No good?
KRAMER: It's disgusting. I'm sitting there in a tepid pool of my own filth. All kinds of microscopic parasites and organisms having sex all around me.
JERRY: Well, you used to sit in that hot tub?
KRAMER: Jerry, that was superheated water, nothing could live in that.

Excerpt 2:

Ok, I'll stop now. :)

I agree with you and Kramer that this is NOT an area where I'm going to try and save money. 

I found the equivalent to the Commando 450on Seinfeld.  What a blast!

http://www.best-shower-head.com