Author Topic: Looking to get a new bike  (Read 3303 times)

StashthatCash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Looking to get a new bike
« on: April 21, 2014, 03:38:34 PM »
Hey guys,

I a looking to get a new bike to add to my fleet.  My current bike keeps having problems (Chain slipping, tires too small so they go flat, etc...)  I was hoping you guys could recommend some good quality bikes I can look for that won't cost a fortune?

Thanks in advance.
STC

Thegoblinchief

Re: Looking to get a new bike
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 03:51:02 PM »
The cheapest option is going to fix the current bike's issues.

That said, that isn't what you asked for. Without knowing what you use the bike for, my standard answer would be a fitness hybrid like the Trek FX series. Fast enough for long rides but easy to add racks, fenders, and all sorts of commuting gear. Many used models will already have the accessories on them.

I have a 7500 FX I got used for $250. The minimum model brand new would be the 7.2, which is between $500-$600.

Emg03063

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 07:01:09 PM »
There are plenty of good quality bikes that won't cost a fortune on Craigslist.  Look for quality components, and a frame that fits from a brand you've heard of.  You should be able to get a bike in decent condition for half what you would pay new.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 07:03:44 PM »
what

fix your bike

everything that is wrong with this one now, will be wrong any whatever new-to-you bike by the end of the summer if you don't learn how to take care of it

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 08:01:46 PM »
what

fix your bike

everything that is wrong with this one now, will be wrong any whatever new-to-you bike by the end of the summer if you don't learn how to take care of it

Yes. I gave a recommendation because the OP asked for it, but FIX the bike. Unless there's a lot more wrong than what you posted or you've realized the frame or style of bike altogether doesn't suit you.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 06:24:17 AM »
Some questions need to be answered before we can give you a good response:

1 - What kind of bike do you have?  (Fixing a 30 year old department store bike vs a five or ten year old bike shop bike will change my answer regarding fixing it up or getting a new bike.)
2 - Does the bike fit well/is it comfortable?  Do you know what bike size is correct for you?
3 - How do you use the bike?  (If you're regularly going on bouncy dirt paths you'll get a different recommendation than if you regularly bike on smooth surfaces.  If you normally go 2-3 miles on flat ground then the type of bike to recommend will be different than if you go 20 miles on hilly terrain.)

Chain slipping can be caused by an improperly adjusted rear derailleur (cheap/easy fix) or by badly worn cassette/chain/chain rings (more expensive/more difficult fix).  Small tires can be replaced with newer ones pretty easily, but the most important way to prevent bike flats is to always keep your tires inflated to the proper pressure.  What kind of tires are you running?  Do you have a floor pump/pressure gauge at home?