Author Topic: Looking for Work Afield  (Read 1940 times)

Gone

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Looking for Work Afield
« on: April 24, 2016, 08:57:19 AM »
I've pretty much lived in the same area all my life. I went away for school, but all of my jobs have been within an hour of my childhood home. Not so much by design; it's just where I was hired.

I don't want to stay in the same area forever. Not simply out of the desire to see new places; my region is utterly poor and my income is paltry for the level of stress it provides. But the attitude around here is "If you have benefits, be thankful because the only other option is to die." So there's no sense of being able to move elsewhere. My field (libraries) isn't the easiest one to find work in. I've started considering how to market my skills in other fields (business or government or education) but I have no idea about the resources in those fields outside of usajobs.gov.

Do any mustachians have recommendations for a young guy whose finally got some work experience but doesn't really have a lot of options for moving up in his career? How do I move from an entry-level management position to something honestly worthwhile?