Author Topic: Looking for re-soleable, high quality mens leather shoes  (Read 3579 times)

ObviouslyNotAGolfer

• Pencil Stache
Looking for re-soleable, high quality mens leather shoes
« on: November 22, 2016, 07:27:26 PM »
    When it comes to footwear (socks as well as shoes), buying cheap is a false economy IMO. High quality is obviously more expensive, but the long-term savings, and the enormous difference in comfort (and even safety) is well worth the cost. My job is part lab, part desk, part lecturing, so I am on my feet for a good part of the day--and also, I love going for walks/hikes!!

I have had a pair of Eccos for the last five years or so. At $200, they were a pretty good buy and they look good, but the soles wore out in one area pretty quickly. They have also been a bit tight across the top. I alternate these with a pair of higher-end Hi-Tech boots with Vibram soles, which I like a great deal. I also wear sandals when it is stupid hot (in SoCal, that is at least 300 days out of the year!).

I want to replace the Eccos with a new pair that will be re-soleable. I am looking for

- black leather
    - business casual style, (passable for dressy occasions)
    - lace-up
    - supportive
    - comfortable
    - suitable for rainy days, uneven pavements, even off road (a little)
    - good for walking up to a few miles
    - re-soleable[/li]

Where to go? What to look for? I've heard Nerdstrom's has a very good shoe department, but I've also heard their mark-ups are insane. I do want to try on first and not screw around with mail-order. I'm thinking $350-500??

Any suggestions?

bobechs

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Looking for re-soleable, high quality mens leather shoes
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 07:39:13 PM »
The PX.

If you can't get in the PX, get the same shoes at:

http://www.batesfootwear.com/US/en/mens-oxfords/

Tetsuya Hondo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 08:35:07 PM »
Two thoughts:
1. Allen Edmunds - check out their shoe bank or outlets for more MMM friendly prices.
2. Mephistos - bought a pair 8 years ago. Constant wear, in them and on my feet for 10 hours at a time, been in rain, snow. Most comfortable shoes I've ever owned. Mine are currently being refurbished for the first time. Can try them on at Nordstrom and then buy them on eBay. You can find some crazy good deals if you don't mind a bit of wear.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 08:37:18 PM by Tetsuya Hondo »

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2016, 05:09:44 AM »
I've had the same pair of Allen Edmonds loafers for thirteen years. I got them refurbished recently. Expensive, but better than needing new shoes all the time.

Gimesalot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2016, 12:31:50 PM »
If you buy nice shoes, you should think about putting Vibram soles on them before you wear them to make the shoes last even longer.  See here: http://effortlessgent.com/sole-protectors/

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2016, 01:24:38 PM »
I want to provide the third recommendation for Allen Edmonds - They're the only non-tennis shoe I can wear (wide foot, high arch, plantar fascitis issues) and they're incredible.

You can go into a store and try on different models, but always order from their outlet site:  www.shoebank.com/

If you find one shoe type that fist, it has a "last" number to it, which tells you exactly what the sole of the shoe is.  You can then order anything in that "last".

I have some 13 year old work shoes and have found they can be re-crafted twice.

BetsyS

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2016, 07:03:28 PM »
I have a pair of Russell & bromleys that are going on ten years now. Get them resoled and relaced every couple of years, and they are going strong even though I wear them every day. It's a women's brogue, but their men's line is much more extensive.

Rosbif

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2016, 11:29:11 PM »
Depends how much comfort you need, but these are guaranteed for the whole of your life:

http://www.drmartens.com/us/p/originals-shoes-smooth-hardlife-1461-forlife

If you need more dressy, Church's. I won't post a link here, those are up to $1k/pair depending on exchange rates I guess (600GBP).

max924

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2016, 11:35:46 AM »
Finn Comfort. I have had mine for 5 years now and soles are still good, I wear them everywhere. My parents both have been wearing theirs for 20 yrs plus, although theirs have had to be resoled obviously. Nice leather, i seal them with a beeswax sealant.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!