Author Topic: Looking for: Online Teaching License Programs for Post Bachelor's degree - USA  (Read 2502 times)

Big Boots Buddha

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Mustache friends,

I have been teaching for a while abroad doing ESL in China and thought more about getting my teacher's certificate/license. After searching through the interwebs for a while the fully online programs that pop up seem a bit untrustoworthy - I'm judging them based on their tacky websites.

I would also hope to find a program that is something like a dual program: work towards teacher's license and work towards a MA in education/teaching since almost all schools deem this very important for hiring and pay structures. I already have a BA.

http://www.wgu.edu/education/teacher_certification# I found this Western Governor's Program that seems legit and the price is very reasonable. Its based on time, not courses, so a person could probably finish in one semester if that's all they did. I would probably work full time and finish it in a semester or two.

https://csuglobal.edu/graduate/programs/licensure/teacher-ready Here is Colorado State University - Global Campus program. This is a Master's degree that works towards a teaching license, which takes a year, then another semester to get the teaching license through TeacherReady which is associated with Florida Public Schools. Longer, more expensive, at least 17k USD, probably closer to 20k with things Im not seeing added on.

http://www.utpb.edu/ced/teacher-certification/fast-track-to-teaching University of Texas of the Permian Basin - yowerz - has a program that could be done very quickly, maybe 6 months, but it might also cost 15k since the student teaching needs to be done in Texas for 14 weeks, so for a few months Id have to go to Texas, rent a room somewhere, probably just some elderly couples home renting a room if possible, do the stuff and get it done, take tests.

As you can see: Im looking for speed, MA degree to go along with the teaching license, mostly online if possible.

Do you have info on this? Do you know a better program or know some more info about a program that might be good? Thanks for the help fellow Mustaches.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 05:39:21 AM by Big Boots Buddha »

MerryMcQ

• Stubble
I got my MBA through Western Governor's University and my DH got his Bachelor's of Nursing (pre-licensure) through them as well. We know a LOT of nurses who have gotten their Master's of Nursing through them (the hospital where he works has a pretty big alumni group). It is a very legitimate school and potential employers are fine with it. Plus it is very inexpensive and if you are dedicated, you can complete the coursework quickly. Based on the coursework I did, I can't imagine completing it in a semester while working full time - but if you did nothing else, a year might be feasible. It is a writing intensive program.

However, for the teaching degree, you have to spend a semester student-teaching in a classroom. That would probably slow you down for completing it in a year and make it very difficult to work full time...

ohana

• Stubble
    • An Ocean Lover in Maine
Mustache friends,

I have been teaching for a while abroad doing ESL in China and thought more about getting my teacher's certificate/license. After searching through the interwebs for a while the fully online programs that pop up seem a bit untrustoworthy - I'm judging them based on their tacky websites.

I would also hope to find a program that is something like a dual program: work towards teacher's license and work towards a MA in education/teaching since almost all schools deem this very important for hiring and pay structures. I already have a BA.

http://www.wgu.edu/education/teacher_certification# I found this Western Governor's Program that seems legit and the price is very reasonable. Its based on time, not courses, so a person could probably finish in one semester if that's all they did. I would probably work full time and finish it in a semester or two.

https://csuglobal.edu/graduate/programs/licensure/teacher-ready Here is Colorado State University - Global Campus program. This is a Master's degree that works towards a teaching license, which takes a year, then another semester to get the teaching license through TeacherReady which is associated with Florida Public Schools. Longer, more expensive, at least 17k USD, probably closer to 20k with things Im not seeing added on.

http://www.utpb.edu/ced/teacher-certification/fast-track-to-teaching University of Texas of the Permian Basin - yowerz - has a program that could be done very quickly, maybe 6 months, but it might also cost 15k since the student teaching needs to be done in Texas for 14 weeks, so for a few months Id have to go to Texas, rent a room somewhere, probably just some elderly couples home renting a room if possible, do the stuff and get it done, take tests.

As you can see: Im looking for speed, MA degree to go along with the teaching license, mostly online if possible.

Do you have info on this? Do you know a better program or know some more info about a program that might be good? Thanks for the help fellow Mustaches.

A huge number of legit schools offer teaching master's/certs in just 1 academic year.  I don't really think you can get any faster than that, even from Sketchyville U online.  As a former teacher, that's the route I'd go with.  Go to a quality state school, get a specialty that offers good job prospects (ESL would be great), and get it done in one year. 

red7

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Make sure you are also checking the certification requirements of the state in which you would like to work. My state (Georgia) has pretty strict rules about which programs/credits it will accept for certification purposes (and NO online programs are allowed -- hybrid is okay but there is a minimum number of face-to-face class hours). Georgia also has rules for which level of certification it will accept from other states. For example, if you get certified in Utah but move to Georgia, you must have a Professional Level 1, 2, or 3 certificate for Georgia to grant you a provisional GA certification. Then you must take the additional required testing/courses to earn your full certification.

It's stupid complicated (especially if you are already living in Georgia but don't want a masters) and the #1 reason why I haven't pursued certification and a public school position, despite the incredible demand for STEM teachers. Obviously, other states may have less restrictive certification processes, so look into the states where you may want to work.

I think the only truly straightforward way to earn a teaching certificate is to go to a physical school in the state where you want to be certified (or one that has reciprocity with your desired state). You can typically finish the program in 1-2 years, and then start applying for jobs. Some schools may hire you while you are in the program, if you can obtain a temporary certificate. Then you can work and go to school part time until you meet your certification requirements.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
It seems like you would be a good candidate for ALTERNATIVE certification since you have some classroom experience. In many states, you can get a job and take coursework (online or in person) while earning a salary.

That way, you won't have to student teach: AKA work for free.

SimplyMarvie

• Stubble
My husband is doing the teacher ready program. He loves that it really focuses on classroom skills over handwavey liberal-artsy theories of the mind and education and racism in the classroom and whatever. (Which is what his prior Masters program was all about) They've been great with trying to work with him while he was abroad, and the other folks we know who have done the program have broadly been very employable -- but they've mostly all gone to metro school districts where they are starving for certified teachers and weren't fussing too much about the certification program you were certified under.