Author Topic: Looking for bike recommendations  (Read 1969 times)

irishbear99

• Bristles
Looking for bike recommendations
« on: August 14, 2015, 02:51:46 PM »
For the first time ever, I'm in a position to be able to bike to work. However, I know nothing about bikes or how to pick one out. Any suggestions on what to look for when bike shopping, ideas on reasonable price range, and/or references for your favorite brands/types are much appreciated. Also looking for good seat recommendations, as bike seats seem to always hurt me in places that should never hurt, regardless of how much padding they have.

Thanks!

JJNL

• Bristles
  • Zuinigheid met vlijt bouwt huizen als kastelen
Re: Looking for bike recommendations
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 12:07:40 AM »
Welcome to the bike squad! I have some bad news for you: if you NEVER bike anywhere, your bike seat is going to hurt a bit at first. No matter how comfy your seat, your bum will have to get used to sitting on it. Heck, I've ridden my bike everywhere for as long as I can remember but my bum hurt as hell when I got back on my bike after spending a year in Canada without riding due to not owning a bike over there. However, investing in a padded seat does make a huge difference. So: get a low-cost padded seat and suck it up.

As for bike advice: go to a good bike shop to get advice on the size your bike should have, and to check out what's available. Pump them for all the information they can give you. Thank them effusively, turn around and buy a second hand bike on Craigslist based on what you now know. I suggest going for the simplest, sturdiest, most no frills kind of bike that's still usable for your commute. This will save you a lot in maintenance - moving parts break, need lubrication etc. Example: if all you ride is flat tarmac, you don't need more than a 3-gear bike. You don't need a mountain bike if you never ride in any actual mountains. When buying a second hand bike, be on the lookout for hidden rust - a lemon in bike terms is a bike that rusts through it's axles shortly after you buy it.

Also: learn how to mend and replace a tire and perform the basic maintenance (greasing the chain etc) your bike requires. there's lots of video tutorials on YouTube. You don't need lots of extra gear, for starters lights + extra inner tube + puncture repair kit + pump is fine.