Author Topic: Looking for best credit/debt counseling or advising...  (Read 2004 times)

AuroraB

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Looking for best credit/debt counseling or advising...
« on: August 01, 2015, 05:36:12 PM »
I have a heap of credit debt that I'm trying to work my way out of and am looking for a legitimate organization to turn to for some basic counseling as far as prioritizing and problem-solving.  Some searching in my area didn't reveal any specific organizations and Google searches for online organizations led me to maybe GreenPath?  Or NFCC? 

There are so many predatory businesses looking to take advantage of debt-ridden and overwhelmed people, they all make me nervous. 

I really appreciate any input anyone has.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
Re: Looking for best credit/debt counseling or advising...
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2015, 05:45:02 PM »
NFCC is the oldest. I have heard good things but have no personal experience with them.

AuroraB

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2015, 06:00:54 PM »
Thank you.  Leaning towards that angle right now, and it seems like GreenPath is accredited by NFCC.

I appreciate your responding to me!

Lski'stash

• Pencil Stache
    • A Teacher's Journey to FI in the Mitten State
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2015, 07:19:38 PM »
Having delt with the same issue (although perhaps not to the same extreme, I can't be sure of course), you might just want to put a case study up on this forum and see what happens before you go with someone else. I've found the people on this site to be far more knowledgable than my own advisor was (who I just 'broke up' with).

Of course, if you are looking into debt consolidation or something, this probably won't help.

AuroraB

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2015, 08:00:56 PM »
Yes, I think this will be worthwhile to do as well... as I try to sort this out.  Thanks for that input.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!