Author Topic: Looking for any info on Waco TX  (Read 5424 times)

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
Looking for any info on Waco TX
« on: February 23, 2019, 06:09:35 AM »
Anyone out there from Waco or familiar with it?

My DH just got a pretty amazing tenure track offer in that area and has until Monday to make the decision -which doesn't give me time to visit. He also expects a (not nearly as good) offer from his current institution on Monday. That leaves us with a major choice.

Am looking for any info on Waco, but especially schools and walkable neighborhoods. We have two children who aren't quite neurotypical and I have heard very conflicting things about Texas schools.

Any info on anything is appreciated.

edit to add - I'm feeling a bit out of sorts by the whole thing because we assumed we were in our current location for the long haul and have settled in to a lovely home, in a perfectly walkable area, and our son has finally settled into school. But I also know that, for an academic, the Waco job is far superior and I want to give my husband that option if it is feasible for us. My current job is done via remote work and I've actually moved to two other states with my job, so I know it can be done.

Scotland2016

• Stubble
Re: Looking for any info on Waco TX
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2019, 08:33:52 AM »
I've heard the housing market is a bit weird because of the houses remodeled on the show Fixer Upper. The show has had quite an effect on the town: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/columnists/native-texan/article/Native-Texan-As-the-Fixer-Uppers-move-on-13509876.php

brooklynmoney

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2019, 11:31:18 AM »
Do you like shiplap? If so you should be fine. Haha. Just kidding. But per previous poster there has been a ton of articles on Waco due to Fixxer Upper. I would read some of those although of course nothing compares to hearing first hand from someone who live-streams there.

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2019, 07:03:04 PM »
My husband knows some people at Baylor. He says Waco is not Austin, but it definitely is getting more cool. I don't have any details about livability, though.  PM me if you would like to get in contact with the people we know there.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2019, 09:19:06 PM »
Thanks guys!

DH is going to ask Monday morning if we he can have enough time for me to get out there.

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2019, 11:04:33 AM »
Thanks guys!

DH is going to ask Monday morning if we he can have enough time for me to get out there.
It's hard to imagine any reasonable organization not allowing time (and even paying) for a site visit, if the job market is national and relocation is normal.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2019, 12:06:47 PM »
I think an offer without time for a visit is pretty telling.

I can also say that it's hot as hell in Waco for a good part of the year. The reason that the Gaineses as did so well there is partly because low housing prices let them get started on a shoestring. There are reasons that housing prices are low in any given area and they should be easy to research.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
Looking for any info on Waco TX
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2019, 12:30:27 PM »
It’s heavily influenced by Baylor, which is a “Christian University in the Baptist tradition.” If that’s not a problem for you, and you like college football and extremely hot summers, you should be fine.

Jon Bon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2019, 02:03:23 PM »
I would read up on Baylor.  The way that school handled the sexual assaults by athletes to win a few football games was disgusting.

https://deadspin.com/tag/baylor-bears

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2019, 03:41:53 PM »
I read that article last week (what a well reported story!). Sent it to my husband while he was on his interview.

He actually asked some very pointed questions about it and LGBTQ ally-ship and was satisfied with their answers, but is also concerned how situations turn out in practice.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 03:55:01 PM by StarBright »

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2019, 04:25:05 PM »
I live down the road in Austin, spent a week in Waco once at another school, not Baylor... but sure did think of Baylor from your description! No expert, but laughed at @pbkmaine's straightforward and reasonable summary. Right on target from what little I know.

How to describe Waco depends on where you're coming from, I think. My biggest memories were walking across a beautiful old bridge that had been converted to a walking bridge... and the day when I was jogging through a neighborhood, and saw an old no-longer-in-use auto repair garage whose tiny corner lot was dominated by an enormous, expressly black gorilla statue that struck me as creepy and racist. That was about eight years ago, so I can't verify it's still there. I'm only guessing at its meaning, but...I guess the sight is the info I have that you wouldn't get from standard internet research.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 04:42:03 PM by BicycleB »

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2019, 07:27:43 PM »
It’s heavily influenced by Baylor, which is a “Christian University in the Baptist tradition.”

I interviewed for a faculty position at Baylor, and noped out of there in a hurry.  They made it very clear they were "looking for a Christian who is also a scientist, not a scientist who is also a Christian."  That's a direct quote.  Fuck that sort of bullshit, man.  I almost laughed out loud right in their faces, but was able to contain myself long enough to get the hell out of Dodge.  I've never looked back.  If I had any regret at all about that whole experience, it's only that I didn't laugh out loud right in their faces.

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2019, 07:55:10 PM »
If I had any regret at all about that whole experience, it's only that I didn't laugh out loud right in their faces.
Because tolerance of others with different perspectives is just so outdated, eh?

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2019, 08:10:53 PM »
Because tolerance of others with different perspectives is just so outdated, eh?

No, because their chosen dichotomy was so paradoxical.  They way they phrased it was like they wanted water but only if it wasn't wet.  Like they needed someone who believed the word of the bible as the literal revealed divine truth of god the creator, but oh we also want someone who is curious about discovering the secrets of nature!  But there aren't any!  Because the bible contains all knowledge!  It was just comical to me, at the time.

I'm super tolerant of ignorant people.  I just decided I didn't want to work for any.  It's not like I wrote an angry letter to the editor in the Waco paper calling them out, I just made a personal decision about how to live my life far far away from that kind of bullshit.  You're free to do the same, of course, and I will never ring your door bell and then scorn you for believing something different than I do.

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2019, 08:24:42 PM »
I'm super tolerant of ignorant people.
And some of your best friends are black?

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2019, 08:34:06 PM »

Virtually none of my friends are black!  I live in a very white place.

Lots of my friends are religious, though, and some of them are raving zealots.  That's fine.  Sometimes I have to roll my eyes a little, just like you do with vegans or cross-fitters.  Like okay we get it you're super into it.  Fine.  You could stop talking about it all the time, though, and the rest of us wouldn't mind.  And you don't have to wear an identifying piece of clothing or jewelry about it every day, either.  You could skip a day here and there and the lord probably won't smite you.

I am 100% in favor of letting people choose their own belief systems.  The folks I met in Waco, however, were not.  Interesting that you think that was my fault and not theirs, isn't it?

Dee18

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2019, 08:44:13 PM »
I interviewed at Baylor some years back....and could not get out of there soon enough.  I felt like I was in an old movie, back when sexism was the norm.  I was staying in Dallas with relatives for the night.  I remember thinking Waco was 100 miles and 20 years removed from Dallas.

Ichabod

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2019, 09:27:32 PM »
I've spent some time in Waco. There are good schools and walkable neighborhoods, but I doubt they overlap much.

Baylor has changed a lot over the last 25 years. You can consider that when weighing the older stories. It's still a conservative, Christian place especially relative to the average university. But it's not a trip back to the '50s.

When I was there, downtown was walkable without many students. The area around Baylor was walkable, but almost exclusively students. And I'm sure things have changed because of the TV show.

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2019, 10:53:02 PM »

Virtually none of my friends are black!  I live in a very white place.

Lots of my friends are religious, though, and some of them are raving zealots.  That's fine.  Sometimes I have to roll my eyes a little, just like you do with vegans or cross-fitters.  Like okay we get it you're super into it.  Fine.  You could stop talking about it all the time, though, and the rest of us wouldn't mind.  And you don't have to wear an identifying piece of clothing or jewelry about it every day, either.  You could skip a day here and there and the lord probably won't smite you.

I am 100% in favor of letting people choose their own belief systems.  The folks I met in Waco, however, were not.  Interesting that you think that was my fault and not theirs, isn't it?
If they were laughing at you, then it would be their fault.  But if it is you laughing at them, well....

No firsthand knowledge of Baylor, but reading between the lines it seems the overwhelming liberal/conservative ratio present in most of academia might not hold there.  It's easy and comfortable for someone in a majority position to laugh down at the minority.  Happened (still happens?) often with women in technical fields, and plenty of other situations.  You may not see laughing at Baylor conservatives as similar to laughing at women scientists and engineers, but "lack of respect" is at the root of both, and that's just wrong.

Simply disagreeing on something, though?  Hey, vive la différence!

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2019, 11:16:02 PM »
If they were laughing at you, then it would be their fault.  But if it is you laughing at them, well....

The problem in that situation was not anyone laughing at anyone else, it was their unabashed desire to only hire "scientists" who believe in magic.  Laughter, which I did not offer them, would have been the kindest possible response to such hypocrisy.  I try to let and let live, but the particular brand of bigotry practiced there was not something I wanted to be a part of.  So I politely declined, and they got to continue being ridiculous and I got to go on about my life too.  Everyone wins! 

Except MDM thinks I'm a bad person now.  Oh noes!  However will I sleep tonight?

Seriously man, I can't believe you're trying to stick up for a bunch of discriminatory fundamentalists that you've never even met.  What's your beef?  You really think I should have taken that shitty job?  That would have been a disaster for everyone! 

Back on topic for the OP; I would have serious reservations about living in Waco unless I was some version of born again.

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2019, 11:41:26 PM »
What's your beef?  You really think I should have taken that shitty job?
Of course not.  Your polite decline was probably exactly right.

My beef, if you will, is with all the pejorative statements.  They have certain beliefs, you have others.  What makes theirs better than yours, or yours better than theirs?  And, perhaps a more important question: why should it matter?

Perhaps you and I might agree that there are too many "religious" people trying to impose their beliefs on others?  Perhaps we might not agree on the operative definition of religious? :)

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2019, 05:32:37 AM »
My beef, if you will, is with all the pejorative statements.  They have certain beliefs, you have others.  What makes theirs better than yours, or yours better than theirs?  And, perhaps a more important question: why should it matter?
Because their beliefs are both intolerant and were explicitly undermining his career.

Seems super obvious.

Anyway - OP: Please come to Texas and continue to turn it blue! Came really close to kicking out US Senator ed Cruz last election, similar margin for my House rep. Both long-time incumbents. Others were kicked out, both at the US and State level.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2019, 07:35:29 AM »
We are religious but we both converted to Episcopalianism from other, less tolerant, denominations because we are pretty progressive in beliefs.
I mentioned on another recent thread that I had a friend in Uvalde who now lives in Corpus. He may also be an ordained minister of the Episcopal variety. He may also be tolerant and accepting of all God's children. There's hope, StarBright.

@MDM, may I politely point out that SB's thread title specifically uses the words "any info" and that you are the one who dragged out the race card?

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Eat. Sleep. Invest. Repeat.
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2019, 07:46:31 AM »
Grew up in a suburb of DFW, had a friend go to Baylor and get brainwashed into once of those cult-like churches. However, you are clearly not at that impressionable age, so as long as you can handle some potential heavy proselytizing you should be good. The city itself had a bit of everything and is about halfway between DFW and Austin, which are great areas for weekend trips. We're still in DFW, so let us know if you want to setup a meetup!

Also, Collins Street Bakery is trash, do not believe the hype.

Spiffy

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2019, 09:07:57 AM »
Ok. My husband is faculty at Baylor and I work here part time. Waco is my hometown, but I have lived all over the US and worked at other universities Yes, it is a very Christian University and it feels different from other places. Almost every event on campus begins with a prayer. Students are required to take religion classes and attend Chapel. Every employee signs a paper that lists your religious affiliation and how you are active in your church (at least you had to do this 10 years ago, don't know if they still do) The campus itself is quite nice. The weather sucks. Winters are usually mild with an odd ice storm every once in a while that shuts down everything. The summers are brutal. Hot and humid for longs months at a time. Faculty and staff get reduced price breakfast and lunch on campus ($3.25 for lunch) free parking, free use of gym, pools, etc. Free tickets to sports events (except football) free tickets to most music and concerts. Also, spouses and children can take free classes one at a time as well as the tuition remission and exchange program. ButI think  that doesn't kick in until a year or more of service. As for the town: It has gotten very much more expensive here since Magnolia nonsense started. I live in a suburb about 10 miles from campus. It is not walkable. There are few sidewalks, everything is too spread out. Traffic is getting worse as they build more McMansions further out. If you live closer to downtown, I guess you could walk to more places, but it is getting too expensive and in summer, it is miserable to walk very far. Our school is very good, but getting too crowded. If you have any specific questions, I will happily answer them!

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2019, 09:30:15 AM »
Do you mind if I ask when you interviewed?

Around 2008, I think.  I also interviewed at a few other schools, and nowhere else did I encounter such blatantly discriminatory policies.  Normal workplaces don't pick and choose candidates based on their religious beliefs, and I wanted no part of any institution where that kind of thing was not only accepted, but considered a virtue.

he was told that they had removed "homosexual acts" from their handbook as a punishable offense.

Ooooh, how progressive!  For reference, France decriminalized homosexuality between consenting adults in 1791.  And in October of 2017, the United States voted against a UN resolution condemning capital punishment for homosexuality, in a stunning Trump reversal of Obama-era policies.  So maybe Waco isn't so far out of line after all? 

Also @sol , I have a climate change question :)  in 30 years will it be better to be in Waco TX or NW Ohio?

I don't know, sorry.  I also think that of all of the reasons to choose a place to live, future climate change is probably pretty far down the list.  I'd be more worried about the quality of the infrastructure, the schools, the availability of healthcare, house prices, the crime and unemployment rates, etc than I would about a few degrees warmer or cooler.  I don't expect either place to be uninhabitable, considering the range of climates that people currently thrive in.  As a general guideline, when trying to predict what future climate will look like you can probably look about 500 miles to the south and get a rough idea, assuming similar elevation and proximity to water.  It's usually different, but not catastrophically different.

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2019, 10:42:29 AM »
@MDM, may I politely point out that SB's thread title specifically uses the words "any info" and that you are the one who dragged out the race card?
Sure, politeness is good.  I just see a difference between describing facts (e.g., Baylor's self-described selection criteria at the time) vs. disparaging groups of people with differing opinions.  Bigotry, unfortunately, comes in many forms.

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2019, 10:50:55 AM »
Because their beliefs are both intolerant and were explicitly undermining his career.

Seems super obvious.
That's your opinion.  Fortunately we both live in a country that allows different opinions.

Don't know how they advertised themselves 10 years ago, but a google search for Baylor University now returns Baylor University | A Nationally Ranked Christian University.  Seems pretty upfront about what they are.

You may not like that, and may prefer that Christian organizations not exist, but then who's being intolerant?

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2019, 10:52:00 AM »
I just see a difference between describing facts (e.g., Baylor's self-described selection criteria at the time) vs. disparaging groups of people with differing opinions.  Bigotry, unfortunately, comes in many forms.

In this case, the two were one and the same.  Baylor's self-described selection criteria WERE disparaging people with differing beliefs, in one of the most explicitly bigoted ways I have personally ever encountered.

I'm less clear on why you think it is bigoted of me to call out their bigotry.  I'm not an employer.  I'm not the one discriminating against job applicants.  I have no power to oppress anyone in this situation, despite the all too common complaints about "the war on Christianity".  In this case, it was the Christians who were doing the oppressing, the Christians who were perpetuating discrimination, Christians who were suppressing freedom of religion, and Christians proudly extolling their bigotry as a point of pride.

Seems pretty upfront about what they are.

You may not like that, and may prefer that Christian organizations not exist, but then who's being intolerant?

I have no problem with Christian organizations.  I do have a problem with organizations that oppose religious freedom, like Baylor University.

As to being up front up about what they are, there are lots of vile people and organizations that don't hide their bigotry and that does not give them a free pass.  There is a current white supremacist movement in America today that literally held a torchlit march through the streets of Charlottesville last year while chanting Nazi slogans.  Still disgusting, despite being "upfront" about their beliefs.  I DO prefer that they didn't exist, and that does not make me intolerant.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 10:57:43 AM by sol »

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2019, 11:03:41 AM »
I just see a difference between describing facts (e.g., Baylor's self-described selection criteria at the time) vs. disparaging groups of people with differing opinions.  Bigotry, unfortunately, comes in many forms.

In this case, the two were one and the same.  Baylor's self-described selection criteria WERE disparaging people with differing beliefs, in one of the most explicitly bigoted ways I have personally ever encountered.

I'm less clear on why you think it is bigoted of me to call out their bigotry.  I'm not an employer.  I'm not the one discriminating against job applicants.  I have no power to oppress anyone in this situation, despite the all too common complaints about "the war on Christianity".  In this case, it was the Christians who were doing the oppressing, the Christians who were perpetuating discrimination, Christians who were suppressing freedom of religion, and Christians proudly extolling their bigotry as a point of pride.
If you thought that Baylor was a public institution when you decided to interview there, your reaction about the waste of your time taking that interview trip is somewhat understandable.

Unless your apparent dislike (hatred?) of Christians is relatively recent (or perhaps stems from the Baylor interview?), why you would have wanted to interview there at all is less understandable.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2019, 11:18:15 AM »

If you thought that Baylor was a public institution when you decided to interview there, your reaction about the waste of your time taking that interview trip is somewhat understandable.

Unless your apparent dislike (hatred?) of Christians is relatively recent (or perhaps stems from the Baylor interview?), why you would have wanted to interview there at all is less understandable.

How is any of this helping OP answer her question?

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2019, 01:09:52 PM »

I knew Baylor was a Christian college and I have no problem with that.  I am accepting of different beliefs.  I was just shocked to discover how virulently hateful they were while NOT accepting different beliefs.  They apparently see a necessary conflict between religion and science that I do not, and so they felt it necessary to make it explicit which of these things will come first in the lives of their employees.  I couldn't, in good conscience, practice science in an environment like that.

I don't know what the OP's husband's field of expertise is, but if Baylor thinks it might be in conflict with scripture then he's going to have a hard time there. 

Unless your apparent dislike (hatred?) of Christians is relatively recent

I don't hate Christians, MDM.  In fact, I went and interviewed for a job at a Christian college.  I do hate bigots, though, and these particular Christians turned out to be the worst kind, and made it clear that they hated me.

That's kind of okay, though.  One of the perks of believing in freedom of religion is that I accept that other people are going to believe stupidly hypocritical stuff, and I can let them do so in peace.  I just wish they would return the favor, that's all.

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2019, 01:14:50 PM »

I knew Baylor was a Christian college and I have no problem with that.  I am accepting of different beliefs.  I was just shocked to discover how virulently hateful they were while NOT accepting different beliefs.  They apparently see a necessary conflict between religion and science that I do not, and so they felt it necessary to make it explicit which of these things will come first in the lives of their employees.  I couldn't, in good conscience, practice science in an environment like that.

I don't know what the OP's husband's field of expertise is, but if Baylor thinks it might be in conflict with scripture then he's going to have a hard time there. 

Unless your apparent dislike (hatred?) of Christians is relatively recent

I don't hate Christians, MDM.  In fact, I went and interviewed for a job at a Christian college.  I do hate bigots, though, and these particular Christians turned out to be the worst kind, and made it clear that they hated me.

That's kind of okay, though.  One of the perks of believing in freedom of religion is that I accept that other people are going to believe stupidly hypocritical stuff, and I can let them do so in peace.  I just wish they would return the favor, that's all.
And on that note (with which, by the way, I concur) we can end this sidebar.  Cheers!

libertarian4321

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2019, 04:31:15 PM »
I should probably point out that Waco is a fast growing city of ~140,000 people.

There is more to Waco than just "Baylor," a mid-sized private Christian school.  This is not 1950.

Some of you folks act like it's a tiny college town where nothing exists outside the university.

terran

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2019, 04:59:55 PM »
I should probably point out that Waco is a fast growing city of ~140,000 people.

There is more to Waco than just "Baylor," a mid-sized private Christian school.  This is not 1950.

Some of you folks act like it's a tiny college town where nothing exists outside the university.

To be fair, from the OPs comments it seems likely that her husband is considering a Job at Baylor, so regardless of what the rest of the city is like, the school would be a big part of their experience there.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2019, 07:17:11 PM »

Seems super obvious.
That's your opinion.  Fortunately we both live in a country that allows different opinions.

Don't know how they advertised themselves 10 years ago, but a google search for Baylor University now returns Baylor University | A Nationally Ranked Christian University.  Seems pretty upfront about what they are.

You may prefer licking the inside of dumpsters, but this speculation is no more applicable than your own.

Oh and to answer your question: MDM is being intolerant.

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2019, 07:23:08 PM »
Oh and to answer your question: MDM is being intolerant.
Oh, pray tell, what am I not tolerating?

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2019, 08:34:27 PM »
StarBright - if you return to this thread, thanks for the update!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2019, 06:55:47 AM »
StarBright - if you return to this thread, thanks for the update!
Batsignalling @StarBright so she will be sure to see your good wishes, BB. And to add my own good wishes to yours.

SB, I don't know where you live now, but the Waco summers, like most of Texas, are bru-tal. Given the situation with your kids, I suspect the decision to stay is the best one. It's great to consider options periodically, especially if doing so makes you happier about blooming where you're planted.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2019, 02:56:09 PM »
OP here - thank you all for your wonderful input and suggestions.

Ultimately, we have decided to stay put for the time being. I didn't have time to get out there and visit before making a decision and it was just too big a move for our whole family to make a decision with a few days time. We could have loved it there (or maybe not), but we know we love where we live now and we are content for the time being.

Thanks everyone!

Thanks for the update.

Hopefully you got some good thoughts out of this thread. Sorry for the derailment.

I'm glad to hear you are happy with your decision.

MOD NOTE: Thread has run its course. Locking it. If you have more to say, take it to PMs.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.