Author Topic: Looking for an old Sunset Magazine Appetizer Recipe with Pesto & Butter...  (Read 8809 times)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
My mom used to make this and I'm jonesing for it. It is wickedly decadent and therefore delicious...
It was featured on the cover of one of Sunset's soft cover cookbooks, possibly as far back as the late seventies or early eighties. It involves pesto, butter and possibly cream cheese(?). It does not look especially pesto-y, if that makes sense. It is whipped to achieve a deceptively light texture, although that step could have been added by my mom. Anyone remember it or have something similar? Because pesto is a key ingredient,  Internet searches have only turned up layered dishes, main dishes or similar dead ends.

Nostalgia note for us West Coasters: My mom subscribed to Sunset my whole life. The poster with all the covers hung in her laundry room. Funny the things you miss when they're gone...

Thanks!

Rezdent

• Pencil Stache
Re: Looking for an old Sunset Magazine Appetizer Recipe with Pesto & Butter...
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 10:57:08 AM »
Sunset covers bring back memories for me too.

I tried a search, but didn't come up with much.  I did come across this one, probably not quite what you are looking for - but you may be able to use it as a starting point?
http://www.food.com/recipe/pesto-cream-cheese-dip-92010

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 11:00:38 AM »
I don't know that recipe, but I do wish I had the old Sunset's from the 50's through the early 80's.  I'll bet either Sunset or a Sunset aficionado website will have all the cook books.

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2016, 11:07:19 AM »
Thanks, rezdent and AR. I'm hoping some PNW'er of a certain age will have the exact recipe. Fingers crossed.
I did a lot of goog searching before I got the idea to reach out to you awesome folks.

The key ingredient is BUTTER. I accidentally bought blocks of butter and have homemade pesto on hand. I need to bring an app to a party tonight, so hopefully this site will provide one of its usual miracles.

Ooh, I see there are more replies! Off to click links!!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2016, 11:23:04 AM »
https://www.librarything.com/work/1082278/summary

This one?
No, but you nailed it anyway. It's the September, 1984 issue, with the stack and basil on the top.
1) Thank you!
2) What an awesome site! Bookmarked.
3) Is there a way to find the exact recipe, now that I know what I'm looking for?
4) Can you see me smiling?

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2016, 11:29:25 AM »
You mean the Appetizers book, right?  I don't have that one.  I'll bet someone has it and can post the recipe.  Ask here and at other forums likely to have participants with Sunset cook books.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2016, 11:44:33 AM »
It's this one. Does anyone have one of these cookbooks in their archives? I'm looking for the cover recipe for a party today. I want to stack it a little taller and use craisins as "ornaments" to make it look like a Christmas tree.
Thanks again, AR!

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2016, 01:05:00 PM »
You mean the Appetizers book, right?  I don't have that one.  I'll bet someone has it and can post the recipe.  Ask here and at other forums likely to have participants with Sunset cook books.
My screen keeps locking up, so I'm having trouble quoting. This is the only forum I'm familiar with. What others do you recommend that are more germane to the subject?

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2016, 01:13:27 PM »
This one says it is "based on" that recipe, so not sure how close it will be, but it has the butter:

http://www.astray.com/recipes/?show=Layered%20cheese%20torta%20with%20pesto

The difference may be that they don't post how to make the pesto part of the recipe?  But, if you already have your own pesto recipe, it might work for you.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 01:15:39 PM by sparkytheop »

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2016, 01:16:23 PM »
Sorry, AR, frozen screen meant I didn't see yours before mine finally posted.

Okay, this looks look like the one. Except for the low-fat part. Do you think I could make straight substitutions: butter for ricotta, cream cheese for neufchatel? One of the reasons I want to make it to take to a party is to limit my access. A little of a yummy bad thing is good, right? If I kept it home, I could not be counted on to consume it modestly.

Today I am making this app, homemade parmesan crackers, making and canning a delicious fresh cranberry relish and stuffing about three dozen mushroom caps. Party starts at six and I'm still in my bathrobe. I can do this, right?
And thanks sparky, heading there next. Damn screen, awesome mustachians!

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2016, 01:21:06 PM »
I'd say that's (Sparkytheop's version) close enough for government work.  I saw that recipe in another place, but the ingredients were garbled.  I'm not having any luck with the other food sites.

This thread makes me want to buy a set of these cook books to replace the ones that disappeared after my mother died.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 01:24:46 PM by Another Reader »

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2016, 01:23:40 PM »
Oh dear God, I am LMAO! I think that version will work, except for the part about mixing it in a large "bowel". What an unfortunate typo, even knowing that it's gonna end up there eventually.

I would have wild ass guessed the proportions would have been 50/50, so thanks so much for the recipe. Okay, butter's on the counter softening, recently made pesto's next to it defrosting and I'm off to the shower. Full report to follow later!

ETA, Oh shit, AR, you took the words right outta my mouth. You miss them extra at the strangest times.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2016, 01:28:00 PM »
ETA: Nevermind, don't try this one!  There are a bunch of ingredients in the list that it doesn't use--like flour, vanilla, etc.

Another recipe saying it was based on that one:

http://www.bigoven.com/recipe/layered-cheese-torta-with-pesto/105525

They're pretty different, hopefully someone has that book and can post the right recipe!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 06:16:29 PM by sparkytheop »

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2016, 01:31:07 PM »
Oh dear God, I am LMAO! I think that version will work, except for the part about mixing it in a large "bowel". What an unfortunate typo, even knowing that it's gonna end up there eventually.

I would have wild ass guessed the proportions would have been 50/50, so thanks so much for the recipe. Okay, butter's on the counter softening, recently made pesto's next to it defrosting and I'm off to the shower. Full report to follow later!

ETA, Oh shit, AR, you took the words right outta my mouth. You miss them extra at the strangest times.

Lmao!  I just checked the second link I posted, and it has the same typo! 

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2016, 01:43:20 PM »
The Big Oven was the recipe I saw. Clearly two sets of recipe ingredients were mixed together.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2016, 10:40:07 PM »
Thanks sparky and AR. Just home from the party. The recipe was a hit and so were the crackers I made (first time ever) to go with it. I took a picture, which I'll post tomorrow.

YOU GUYS ROCK! I love this community.

P.S. - In my funny family, we make sport of pronunciation. The green stuff we eat on Taco Tuesday is avocad-ro. The other green stuff on tacos is lechuga. The box that keeps things cold is a refridga-lator. We eat our cereal and ice cream out of bowels every time. That's why that typo in the recipe (pronounced reh-sype) was so damn amusing. Thanks and thanks and thanks.

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2016, 04:52:58 PM »
Picture, please.  I'll bet the cranberries made the "tree."

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2016, 06:28:33 PM »
So, a day late and a dollar short, I found a digital copy of this book at Open Library.  Open Library is a project of the Internet Archive, I think.  You can create a login and check out for two weeks any book for which they have a digital copy.  Attached is a screenshot of the recipe as it is printed in that book.  I'm glad you found a recipe that worked, though!

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2016, 07:01:00 PM »
Wow! That's a lot of butter!

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2016, 08:03:49 PM »
Wow, Diane C, I just love your life. One minute you are leading major volunteer projects, the next in desperate need of a Sunset magazine recipe from years ago for that evening because you accidently bought butter.

I loved Sunset magazine and I miss my mother and I wish I knew people like you IRL.

I'm glad it worked out.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2016, 11:20:19 PM »
Okay you wonderful people, here's my follow-up report. Happily, there was a lot of food at the party, so I got to bring about 1/6th of it home. Tonight, I cooked some ribbed pasta, opened another jar of homemade pesto and mixed in all the leftover torte. OMG! It was so good. Of course I made a nice salad so the meal had some semblance of nutritional value.

Because I'm just that kind of girl, I didn't allow quite enough time to do the seven-layer version, so I did the easier option that was in one of the earlier recipes which worked out better (or should I say butter?). I saw the most recent recipe that WTH posted (cool site!). I'm guessing that's an even older version. On reflection, I'd say 50-50 or 60-40 ratios both work, given sufficient chilling time. I cheated and put the bowl in a bigger bowl of ice water in the fridge to speed up the molding process.

I have this cool little "bowel" that I use to make DH's oatmeal every morning. It's already prepped for tomorrow, so I took a shot of it sitting inside my hideously expensive microwave, which some of you might remember from some other thread I posted on. Oh yeah, it was happy plant's thread about replacing appliances.

AR, because I used the squatty "bowel", and an improvised quick chill method, the whole cranberries weren't sticking, so I tossed them in the food processor, pulverized them and kinda piled them on the top, which worked well enough taste-wise, but didn't help it look like a Christmas tree.

Finally, I mentioned I made crackers to go with it. They turned out great, so my gift to you for all your wonderful help is this easy peasy recipe, from a cookbook called "Easy Christmas" by a publisher called Ryland, Peters and Small. I bought it at the end of my library's Holiday Book Sale on Saturday for $1.00. I am happy to report that the sale was a resounding success, with our best take ever. The party was for my other library board, so it was quite the literary weekend.

Parmesan Herb Crisps

1 1/4 c freshly grated Parmesan Cheese (or thereabout. I didn't measure, just eyeballed it.)
1 c Flour
1 stick cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
1/2 teaspoon Dried Herbs de Provence*
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce**
2 tablespoons White Wine***

Dump everything in a food processor and process until it forms a ball. (It really will. I was amazed.) Smoosh the ball o'dough well so there are no air bubbles inside. Turn it out onto parchment or wax paper, and roll it until it looks like a paper towel tube. Tape the tube closed and chill it well. When it's good and cold but not frozen (if you're cheating like I did) slice it into thin, uniform 1/4" (-ish) discs and place them on cookie sheets. Bake at 375 for 12-15 minutes****. Remove when lightly browned, let sit for 2 minutes, then transfer to wire rack to completely cool. Don't worry about how long they'll keep, because they won't last long enough for it to matter.

Notes: The ingredient list is theirs, the directions are, well, paraphrased.

* Didn't have any. Googled it and had 7 out of 8 dried herbs. Smashed them together in a mortar and pestle and it worked fine. Fresh snipped rosemary might be a good substitution if you have a pot of it handy.

** None of this either. Used A-1. Worked fine.

*** Didn't measure this, just sloshed a little out of the glass I was drinking.

**** Next time, I'll lower the heat and increase the cooking time to get a crisper cracker. Maybe 275 for half an hour. Also, the ones that browned a bit more tasted better, so let 'em get a little more golden.

[ETA: I made these again for another party. This time I used a fork to pierce an X in each cracker. The holes closed up in baking, but before they did, allowed the heat to escape so the crackers baked flat this time. Yay. Lowering the heat/extending the baking time helped too.]

To choppingwood: Thanks, I love my life too! I adore my DH for helping me have such a good one. Of course, his mom and her pal Al Z. Heimer keep things interesting, too. My life is insanely wonderful and I've made lots of friends and connections in my community, all because I started volunteering at the library in my pre-FIRE (and pre-DH and pre-MMM for that matter) days because I wanted to make some friends. (And because I made myself say "yes" to new opportunities.) I'd encourage you to see what's going on at your local library. Oh, and buying that butter was no accident. I always load up my freezer over the holidays when it's cheapest. The accident was that I bought BLOCKS of butter, not sticks. They are a pain in the ass to cut and measure and take forever to defrost. I'll be making a lot of holiday toffee this week to use some of it up.

Okay, that's all for now. You guys made my weekend. Post FIRE, I hang around here in hopes of offering the kind of guidance that I wish I'd had available to me in my early working years. I am amazed and grateful to all of you for the help you've given me with this recipe quest. Y'all are the best, I tell you, simply the best.

ETA: WTF?!? The photos attached upside down! They're fine on my desktop. Anyone know how to fix them? They don't show up in print preview, only once posted.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 10:35:09 AM by Diane C »

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2016, 06:31:43 AM »
To choppingwood: My life is insanely wonderful and I've made lots of friends and connections in my community, all because I started volunteering at the library in my pre-FIRE (and pre-DH and pre-MMM for that matter) days because I wanted to make some friends. (And because I made myself say "yes" to new opportunities.) I'd encourage you to see what's going on at your local library.

It is funny you say that. I actually work at my local library one afternoon a week. It has been a great way to get to know all kinds of people of all ages who like books and movies and who have lots of different interests. Because we have computers and give help to people using them or our WIFI connection, it also helps me stay connected with what is going on in the regional business scene. This library is in a small rural community. We are busy people with interesting lives. We just don't have your style, though.

I also go to the library in the next town over, which is a university town. I go there because my book club is based in that town and gets their books there, but it is a great place to run into people I used to work with at the university and to hear the latest on what's going on. And there are free vegetables, at the right time of year.

I get it about the butter now. It is very expensive in sticks here! Worse than that, there is a butter shortage, because people decided that butter was healthy again and it is taking a while to build up the dairy herds to deal with the situation.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2016, 03:15:57 PM »
To choppingwood: My life is insanely wonderful and I've made lots of friends and connections in my community, all because I started volunteering at the library in my pre-FIRE (and pre-DH and pre-MMM for that matter) days because I wanted to make some friends. (And because I made myself say "yes" to new opportunities.) I'd encourage you to see what's going on at your local library.

It is funny you say that. I actually work at my local library one afternoon a week. It has been a great way to get to know all kinds of people of all ages who like books and movies and who have lots of different interests. Because we have computers and give help to people using them or our WIFI connection, it also helps me stay connected with what is going on in the regional business scene. This library is in a small rural community. We are busy people with interesting lives. We just don't have your style, though.

I also go to the library in the next town over, which is a university town. I go there because my book club is based in that town and gets their books there, but it is a great place to run into people I used to work with at the university and to hear the latest on what's going on. And there are free vegetables, at the right time of year.

I get it about the butter now. It is very expensive in sticks here! Worse than that, there is a butter shortage, because people decided that butter was healthy again and it is taking a while to build up the dairy herds to deal with the situation.
Shhh - Butter is cheapest at Costco between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Less than 2.49/lb. for premium buttah, yum! Is there a Costco in your corner of the world? If not, want me to send you some, lol?

Funny about actually working at the library for pay: I don't think I could do it, because you have to be nice to every member of The Public, gah! If I'm in the library when kids are being idiots, I occasionally step in, because I don't have to worry about getting fired. It's kinda fun, actually. Once, at a book sale, I asked a guy to stop using his scanner. He gave me smack, so I politely pointed out the signs forbidding then posted on every row. He got pissed, said I embarrassed him (um, no, the scanner wasn't in my hand) and threatened to have me fired. I smiled and told him I was a volunteer. He actually called the library later that day and tried to have me fired anyway. The staff had a good laugh over that.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2016, 03:20:09 PM »
Let's see if this works. I turned the pictures upside down before I attached them this time. Low-teck, ain't I? Fingers crossed.

ETA: Dammit! Why don't attachments show up in print preview? Is it me? My browser? My whatchamacallit? Sorry guys.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 03:22:26 PM by Diane C »

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2016, 03:49:03 PM »
I bought Challenge, which is better than Kirkland IMO, for $2.99 a pound at Lucky.  How much was the Kirkland for the quartered butter?

The dip looks delicious, if not exactly heart healthy. 

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2016, 05:23:26 PM »
Reading the cracker recipe you posted, Diane C, I would watch any cooking show you hosted.  Also, thank you for making your photographs so accommodating for our Australian forum members.  ;)  (And, no, I have no idea what happened or how to fix them.)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2016, 05:29:02 PM »
I bought Challenge, which is better than Kirkland IMO, for $2.99 a pound at Lucky.  How much was the Kirkland for the quartered butter?

The dip looks delicious, if not exactly heart healthy.
The Kirkland quarters are about 2.49/lb, but quietly drifts down to about 2.25/lb this time of year. The attached (fingers crossed, again) was about 2.39/lb, IIRC. I don't have the receipt because I bought big, beautiful Costco Poinsettias for the library and gave the whole darn receipt to our treasurer for reimbursement. If the photo isn't upside down (grrr), notice the number 4 in the upper right corner. Beneath that, in the tiniest font on the whole box, it white type, it says "One Pound Blocks", so clearly, my bad. This is not a brand I've ever seen before, so I thought i'd give it a try, despite the slightly higher price, because European Style, extra yum. BTW, Costco in my area does not carry Challenge Butter. I think I've seen it in SoCal, but normally, I like the unsalted Kirkland well enough. I occasionally buy KerryGold, but I just don't think it's worth the premium price.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2016, 05:42:23 PM »
Reading the cracker recipe you posted, Diane C, I would watch any cooking show you hosted.  Also, thank you for making your photographs so accommodating for our Australian forum members.  ;)  (And, no, I have no idea what happened or how to fix them.)
WTH, that is so funny! My MIL and her pal Al Z. Heimer live with us. She would watch cooking shows every second of every day, if left to her own devices. That or Court TV. UGH! I have no fondness for cooking shows. I'm kind of an HGTV junkie myself. (Except HouseHunters or Property Virgins. No privileged first-timers sniveling over SS appliances for me.)

As to the photos, I fucking love Aussies; it makes sense that apparently you are one. Best sense of humour anywhere! Now, flush with my newfound photographic success (the dinosaur desktop did the trick), I am attaching a gift photo for you. To identify the exact location, note the year in which it was taken. If you're a true Costco believer, it's a dead giveaway. Now, about that butter: When do you want me to bring it to you?

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2016, 05:44:37 PM »
Well, that wasn't the one I meant to post, so here's another hint:

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2016, 05:57:33 PM »
WTH, that is so funny! My MIL and her pal Al Z. Heimer live with us. She would watch cooking shows every second of every day, if left to her own devices. That or Court TV. UGH! I have no fondness for cooking shows. I'm kind of an HGTV junkie myself. (Except HouseHunters or Property Virgins. No privileged first-timers sniveling over SS appliances for me.)

As to the photos, I fucking love Aussies; it makes sense that apparently you are one. Best sense of humour anywhere! Now, flush with my newfound photographic success (the dinosaur desktop did the trick), I am attaching a gift photo for you. To identify the exact location, note the year in which it was taken. If you're a true Costco believer, it's a dead giveaway. Now, about that butter: When do you want me to bring it to you?

I love cooking shows, but I am not Australian.  That was just a joke.  But I'm glad you finally got those two photos posting right-side-up!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2016, 06:08:21 PM »
Ya think I coulda just looked a little to the left and figured that out for myself? Well, you have an Aussie sized sense of humor, which is a gift. I think I'll leave it up for a while and see if anyone else wants to guess. As to the photos, this is literally the worst computer in the house. It's practically a rock sitting on the desk. I can't believe it worked.

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2016, 10:27:10 AM »
Shhh - Butter is cheapest at Costco between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Less than 2.49/lb. for premium buttah, yum! Is there a Costco in your corner of the world? If not, want me to send you some, lol?
The nearest Costco is about 100 miles away. I try to buy everything I can locally, though I admit I break down when there is a really good sale item if I happen to be in the city. When I'm in the city, I shop at an amazing and cheap produce store and at a Costco competititor. I don't mind Costcos, but I can't take the parking lots. I feel like I should bring backpacking gear it takes so long to get to the store. No doubt it is all the butter-buyers who shop there....

Not to worry, though. My baking supplies are good, including enough butter to do my Christmas baking and dinner.

Funny about actually working at the library for pay: I don't think I could do it, because you have to be nice to every member of The Public, gah!

The grumpy part of our "public" is a pretty small group. However, years of convincing authors to accept editorial changes, followed by years in HR negotiating with unions and irate employees has made me able to cajole most of the grumpy people into cooperation without too much effort or stress. Most of the time is spent with people who are relaxed, and getting something for their hobbies, or some exciting life event like applying for Canadian citizenship. I am also mentoring a couple of four year olds who enjoy stamping the date on their books. They are very careful.

I am going to make these crackers. I have been looking for just this kind of thing to try.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2016, 05:41:33 PM »
Okay peeps, I made another Costco run today. Fortunately, they are only a few miles away. Here's the 4-1-1:

Kirkland 4/1lb. unsalted butter in quarters is currently 8.99 or 2.248/lb.

CA Dairies 4/1lb. BLOCKS unsalted Euro Style Butter is 9.49 or 2.373/lb.

KerryGold 3/8oz. Irish Butter is 7.69 or 5.127/lb.

I double-checked, no Challenge Butter.

Hmmm, all this talk of butter is making me hungry...

P.S. If this doesn't convince those doubters to join Costco, I do not know what will. Mmmmm, butter.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2016, 05:50:18 PM »
Okay peeps, I made another Costco run today. Fortunately, they are only a few miles away. Here's the 4-1-1:

Kirkland 4/1lb. unsalted butter in quarters is currently 8.99 or 2.248/lb.

CA Dairies 4/1lb. BLOCKS unsalted Euro Style Butter is 9.49 or 2.373/lb.

KerryGold 3/8oz. Irish Butter is 7.69 or 5.127/lb.

I double-checked, no Challenge Butter.

Hmmm, all this talk of butter is making me hungry...

P.S. If this doesn't convince those doubters to join Costco, I do not know what will. Mmmmm, butter.
I just got butter at Aldi for $2.69/lb
Butter on sale at local grocer for $1.98/lb (limit 2)

Around Thanksgiving I got butter for $1.48/lb (limit 1); and $1.99/lb (limit 2) at a different local grocer.

This shits expensive - but needed for Christmas cookies and scones.

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2016, 06:05:37 PM »
I bought the Challenge at Lucky's.  This week they have Land O'Lakes for $2.99 a pound.  My cousin the gourmet baker liked Land O'Lakes best.  I prefer Challenge.  For muffins and cookies, Kirkland will do.  So it's off to Costco tomorrow to stock up the freezer.  If I were closer to the Walnut Creek area, I would hire Diane C to be my personal Costco shopper!

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2016, 06:53:56 PM »
Costco dairy buyers are spending the night trying to figure out how to deal with the unforeseen surge in butter sales. 

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2016, 07:14:54 PM »
Hah, this forum is great.

Finding recipes that work, and then tracking down the original one!
So, a day late and a dollar short, I found a digital copy of this book at Open Library.  Open Library is a project of the Internet Archive, I think.  You can create a login and check out for two weeks any book for which they have a digital copy.  Attached is a screenshot of the recipe as it is printed in that book.  I'm glad you found a recipe that worked, though!

That's pretty awesome.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2016, 07:32:02 PM »
Sunset was practically a lifestyle cult magazine in the 50's and 60's.  Dinner party food pictured on Danish modern teak furniture in Eichler houses. Patios landscaped and furnished for year-round outdoor living in the temperate climate.  Everyone could afford the "good life" in California back then.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2016, 07:36:16 PM »
I have a couple of their cookbooks - good recipes.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2016, 06:24:04 AM »
This forum is great. It just amazes me the amount of knowledge here sometimes.