Author Topic: Looking for advice on buying a bow (archery)  (Read 2361 times)

SweetTPi

• Stubble
Looking for advice on buying a bow (archery)
« on: October 07, 2016, 07:42:40 AM »
Last weekend I had a great time learning archery.  I liked it so much that I want to buy a bow for myself, but am struggling on the cost side and trying to figure out if it's something I'd keep doing.  There are a couple places around (actual archery stores, not big box) that I'm going to swing by this weekend to talk to people and in general check out.  One of the big things will be finding out what the local codes are for backyard shooting.  Living in the city I night not be able to do so, and then I'd be looking at the cost of range time.  I'm leery of the cost already (bow+equipment) and then to add the range fees onto that- I could see it putting a damper on things.

Any suggestions as to what questions I should be thinking about asking?  Does anyone do archery and have suggestions?

Thegoblinchief

Re: Looking for advice on buying a bow (archery)
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2016, 08:00:26 AM »
I have zero archery experience but Jack at TSP is an experienced bow hunter. Found this episode in his archive and I know he's covered bow selection in other episodes too.

http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/episode-651-bow-hunting-deer-part-one

If you're doing it just for target practice, I believe recurve bows will be simpler and cheaper, and then it's a question of finding a good draw weight. Compound bows are good for hunting because once drawn, they don't require much force to stay drawn.

fiftyincher

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2016, 08:09:01 AM »
What type of bow are you learning with? It doesn't get much simpler/cheaper than a recurve. If that's what you've been learning with, I'd hit up craigslist. You shouldn't need anything fancy. If it's a compound then things are more complicated and cost more.

SweetTPi

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2016, 08:17:55 AM »
To make things complicated- I used and liked both a recurve and compound bow.  (I also used a crossbow, but at this time I'm not interested.)  I'm on the fence about bow hunting- I've only been hunting once (also last weekend) for squirrel.  On the other hand, I like eating venison, so providing my own is an appealing prospect in the future, regardless of what tool I use to harvest it.  I will definitely going to ask about the availability of used bows- if they have any that can be tested/fitted to me.

Uturn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2016, 09:19:49 AM »
I have a compound and a recurve.  I can see how the efficiency of a compound, especially with the sights, is attractive to hunters.  But since I'm not a hunter, I enjoy the skill of a traditional bow.  I like how a traditional bow doesn't allow for poor form and technique, forcing me to get it right.  I have a 45# recurve that I got on sale right after Christmas.  I'm a beginner and don't need or want anything fancy.  I don't need a lot of penetration because I'm only hitting targets.

I'm sure an advanced archer can tell the difference between a longbow and a recurve, you are probably not there yet.  My advice is to get either one, a lighter weight, and cheap.   Find out if you really like archery.  If so, once your skills improve and you know more about what you want, you can sell your beginner bow and step up.  Or keep it and use it to introduce others to the sport.  Like most things, don't over think it and don't get advanced equipment if you are not at an advanced level.

Check out local archery clubs.  The one I belong to has close to 200 acres and is $70/yr for unlimited access.  We have bulls eye targets at 10, 20, 30, and 40 yards.  There is also a 3D target course, think mini golf but archery.  We also have about 5 club tournaments a year. 

stein79

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2016, 02:01:43 PM »
I hunt, though not with a bow (yet).  I have shot compound bows and plan to eventually get one.  I am of the "buy once, cry once" philosophy.  So while not Mustachian, I will probably go with a Mathews bow, as they are considered best in class.
You can find models that are a few years old, and a few ounces heavier on craigslist at a big discount.

However, it is an expensive hobby.  Tune-ups, arrows, you'll need a tree stand for deer, etc.  But the season is longer than gun (at least in Maryland) and it is a challenge.

Good luck.