Author Topic: Looking for a personal finance book to give as a wedding gift  (Read 8006 times)

COguy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Looking for a personal finance book to give as a wedding gift
« on: October 18, 2012, 01:53:01 PM »
Hey All,
  I have some friends getting married soon.  In addition to a regular gift, I wanted to give them a Personal Finance book to get started learning.  Really, I want to find something that is good for a beginner that explains things like the time value of money, plus retirement planning, investing planning, frugality principles.  Let's call it an intro personal finance book.  My problem is that I read mostly advanced economics, investing, and business books so I haven't read a ton of general personal finance books to know which ones are good.  Anyone have any suggestions.

SpendyMcSpend

• Bristles
Re: Looking for a personal finance book to give as a wedding gift
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 02:56:44 PM »
The Millionaire Next Door is great!

iamsoners

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 03:00:56 PM »
I think Suze Orman's Young, Fabulous & Broke would be good.  Not mustachian in that it puts you on the typical save 6% and aim to retire at 65 sort of mentality but if you put everything in that book into practice, you'll be far, far ahead of most people your age.  She puts a lot of emphasis on credit scores so if these people haven't bought a house, I think it's especially good.

AJ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 03:10:58 PM »
If you want something really palatable and basic you might try Total Money Makeover (Ramsey) or The Automatic Millionaire (Bach).

The Millionaire Next Door and Your Money or your Life are also classics.

TLV

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 04:00:34 PM »
The Richest Man in Babylon is also a good one for beginners. It doesn't have a lot of specifics for investing (e.g. 401ks, stocks, index funds, etc.) in part because it was written back in the '20s, but I found the format to be particularly good for people new to personal finance. It consists of a bunch of parables set (probably inaccurately) in ancient times, and in each one a clueless young person asks a rich successful person for advice.

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 04:06:13 PM »
Hey All,
  I have some friends getting married soon.  In addition to a regular gift, I wanted to give them a Personal Finance book to get started learning. 
Are either of them in the military?
http://www.impactpublications.com/militaryguidetofinancialindependenceandretirement.aspx

COguy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 05:54:14 PM »
Neither are in the military.  They also are debt free, so in my opinion "debt gurus" like Suze Orman and Dave Ramsey seem like poor choices.

Really, I just want to get a book to get them thinking about their time as money and what not.  So, maybe Your Money or Your Life is indeed a good choice.

Aloysius_Poutine

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 05:58:30 PM »
I found YMOYL outdated when I tried to read it. My vote is for The Millionaire Next Door.

totoro

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 06:05:49 PM »
Hmmm... are they interested in it or are you trying to get them interested in it?  Changes my recommendation.

fidgiegirl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2012, 06:16:34 PM »
YMOYL has a revised edition from somewhere around 2008.  Much more relevant to today.

Like totoro said, I'd wnat to know if it's a subject they are interested in, or one you think they should be interested in.  If it's a "suggestion" type book, I'd rethink it.  If you know it is something they want, then I personally think YMOYL is a super choice.

ashem

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2012, 06:24:46 PM »
This one is out of print, and more of a 'how to' on frugality than a finance book, but it's really great. Combined with YMOYL, it would make a great wedding gift.

http://www.amazon.com/Cheap-Tricks-100S-1000s-Dollars/dp/0963257706/ref=la_B000APF9I8_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1350605798&sr=1-1

bogart

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2012, 07:40:38 PM »
I'm quite fond of Elizabeth Warren's All Your Worth, but (a) I'm geeky and prone to reading geeky things and (b) particularly as she's now active in the political arena, her ideas may sit better with some than others.  Still, I think she makes good points about the importance of big decisions and commitments, and has a reasonable plan (don't commit more than 50% of your income to, well, anything, save 30%, spend 20% on fun stuff.  Or do I have the 20/30 backwards?  But it's one or the other...!).

COguy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2012, 08:00:28 PM »
Wow! thanks for all of the responses.  As for the question of whether they are interested in it.  They are like many of us United States middle class kids in that we are not really exposed to saving and investing as a means to freedom growing up.  So, they are frugal and careful with their money, but I think as they progress in life they would probably fall into the trap of lifestyle inflation. 

I don't think they would seek out any knowledge of this sort on their own, but if I gave them a book, I imagine they would read it.  So, I am trying to get them interested in it

giggles

• Stubble
    • Kiva - Change the world with a $25 loan

totoro

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2012, 11:07:24 AM »
I second/third whatever YMOYL revised edition.  My son is reading the Wealthy Barber right now.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2012, 11:42:50 AM »
I'ma fourth YMOYL. There's nothing that can touch it for quality and emphasis on the "why should I care" question that'll be heavily featured in neophytes' minds, at least until MMM writes a book.

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2012, 08:37:52 PM »
I second/third whatever YMOYL revised edition.
By the time I stumbled across YMOYL, I'd had enough career misery to be extremely in tune with its message.

When the student is ready, the teacher appears...