Author Topic: Looking for a new bike  (Read 4596 times)

spaniard999

• Stubble
    • Longing for Travel
Looking for a new bike
« on: July 10, 2017, 03:02:41 PM »
I'm looking for a new bike.

I'm 6'2'', 180 lbs. Men.
I'm planning to do my commute by bike. 9 miles each way.

I work in Chicago (Logan Square) and work in Franklin Park.

I was looking for a decent commute bike.
Recommendations?
I don't want to spend  A LOT of money, maybe 500 or less.
I was looking at this one:
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/hybrid-bikes/fitness-bikes/fx/fx-2/p/1323010-2017/?colorCode=blue

retiringearly

• Bristles
Re: Looking for a new bike
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 03:09:12 PM »
Logan Square to Franklin Park is largely heavy traffic all the way.  Be careful.

spaniard999

• Stubble
    • Longing for Travel
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 04:18:58 PM »
I'm going to try to do it once with a friends bike and see how it feels (Not only the distance but also the traffic).
But if I feel strong about it, I want to have a bike in mind to do this.

retiringearly

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 07:08:34 PM »
Is there a shower you can use at work?  You will need it.

spaniard999

• Stubble
    • Longing for Travel
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 07:56:46 PM »
Yes, my office has showers at any time and a indoors space to lock the bikes.

Hotstreak

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 09:18:14 PM »
I'm looking for a new bike.

I'm 6'2'', 180 lbs. Men.
I'm planning to do my commute by bike. 9 miles each way.

I work in Chicago (Logan Square) and work in Franklin Park.

I was looking for a decent commute bike.
Recommendations?
I don't want to spend  A LOT of money, maybe 500 or less.
I was looking at this one:
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/hybrid-bikes/fitness-bikes/fx/fx-2/p/1323010-2017/?colorCode=blue

That looks like a fine bike, at a reasonable price assuming you are committed to buying new.  One upgrade to consider are disc brakes.  You can expect to pay $80-$100 more than rim brakes and for that money you get better performance when wet, shorter stopping distance, and better modulation of deceleration.  Panniers/saddle bags are also a good buy, for comfort while riding and to keep body temperature down (no backpack!).  If you look for a deal you can get all of that for pretty close to your $500 budget.  Add on a lock as appropriate..

Do you have any corporate discounts at work?  FWIW I get 40% off certain bikes through my corporate discount.  I used this to buy a Diamondback mountain bike, which I am very happy with.

spaniard999

• Stubble
    • Longing for Travel
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2017, 08:36:30 AM »
I'm going to ask for it (the discount), they might have something since my company is dedicated to the fitness equipment.

frugaliknowit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2017, 10:15:02 AM »
You will probably want to add some fenders to the bike if you are going to commute almost every day.  Also, there's tons of glass and other crap on the roads, so I would definitely get puncture resistant tires such as Specialized Amardillo Elite, Gatorskins, etc. 

A very popular bike in Chicago is Specialized Sirus.  I have a very old model and dig it for errands and commuting.  The Amardillos minimize the flats...

LittleWanderer

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2017, 11:12:19 AM »
A Specialized Sirrus is basically the same thing as the Trek FX. 

OP, a flat bar, basic $500 road bike like the Sirrus or FX will do what you need.  I wouldn't go any lower than that when buying new.  Be sure to factor in other costs like a rack, panniers, water bottle cage, lights, multi-tool, tubes, pump, new tires, new saddle, etc. 

spaniard999

• Stubble
    • Longing for Travel
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2017, 11:49:24 AM »
What about a Hybrid? Not worth it?
Aluminum or Steel? Heard a lot of bad things about aluminum.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2017, 12:31:26 PM »

A hybrid bike puts you in a more upright position while riding.  They typically have wide, flat handlebars.  This means that you catch a bit more air than on a road bike and the steering is a bit slower.  Hybrids tend to have all the mounting points for fenders and racks which is a great benefit for commuting (road bikes tend to have moved further away from this - but touring and cross frames can be found with these), they also tend to have more clearance for wide tires . . . which are more comfortable to ride and easier to handle.  The further you go on a typical ride, the more likely you are to appreciate drop bars.  Road bikes are usually designed to be light, and light bikes are fun to ride . . . they also go up hills much faster.  For rides under 40 km, just about any bike will be fine.

The actual frame design and fit matters infinitely more than the material that it's made of.  Aluminum is a great material for a bike frame.  So is steel.  So is carbon fiber.  I have no experience with titanium, but hear it's great too.

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2017, 01:37:38 PM »
Your $ will go a lot farther in the used market. Find someone on craigslist or facebook who bought a new bike and let it collect dust. Pay half of retail for it. Remove dust.

A $500 bike will have entry-level components and probably no suspension. The same money in the used market buys mid-high range. I ride a 2001 model Italian road bike with Ultegra components that was given to me for free by an uncle who wanted something newer. It's still friggin sweet.

Just be sure to get the correct frame size. I'd estimate 60-62 cm for your height.

frugaliknowit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2017, 02:36:39 PM »
You will probably want to add some fenders to the bike if you are going to commute almost every day.  Also, there's tons of glass and other crap on the roads, so I would definitely get puncture resistant tires such as Specialized Amardillo Elite, Gatorskins, etc. 

A very popular bike in Chicago is Specialized Sirus.  I have a very old model and dig it for errands and commuting.  The Amardillos minimize the flats...

Forgot to Add:  I have found I need to upgrade the rear rim to a "double wall", probably because of the roads here ...you will find out if you start busting spokes...cost is about $180 with labor...so your upgrades might be:

1.  Rack (with panniers?).
2.  Amardillo elite tires or similar.  This can wait, but you will get lots of flats.
3.  Fenders (I have "Planet Bike")
4.  If you start busting spokes, a double wall rim for the rear (if this happens, it will probably be a while...).

LittleWanderer

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2017, 11:46:46 AM »

Steel isn't in your budget if you are buying new.

Also, take frame size recommendations with a grain of salt.  Every bike manufacturer is different. 

Hotstreak

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2017, 10:02:28 PM »

In my experience aluminum is fine.  What concerns do you have about it?  A Hybrid AKA City Bike is great for mid range commuting and light to moderate recreational cycling.  All I have for roads is a Hybrid Aluminum frame bike ($400 new in 2005ish) which I've taken for 30 mile rides with no issue.  These are weekend rides I do for fun and exercise, solo, so being able to go fast is not an issue.  Personally I enjoy hybrid vs road bikes since I can sustain a more upright posture, which is a lot more comfortable for my neck and back. 

Debts_of_Despair

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2017, 06:54:59 AM »

Steel isn't in your budget if you are buying new.

I grew up in the mid 90s lusting after the high end bikes that were all ALUMINUM!  Kind of funny how things have completely reversed.  It's all a bunch of marketing BS, encouraging you to buy something new because your current  bike is substandard.   Bottom line, ignore the marketing and buy what works for you and your budget.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 09:56:11 AM by Debts_of_Despair »

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2017, 06:59:42 AM »
I've put 20,000 miles on my aluminum Cannondale with no issues, and a friend has over 55,000 miles on his. I wouldn't worry about it.

Debts_of_Despair

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2017, 07:09:25 AM »

Personally I enjoy hybrid vs road bikes since I can sustain a more upright posture, which is a lot more comfortable for my neck and back.

There is no reason you can't get a road bike and ride on the flat part of the bar or hoods if you aren't comfortable riding the drops.  You have many options with drop bars that don't exist with a flat bar.  As your core muscles develop, you will probably find yourself riding the drops more often because there is much less wind resistance.

This video explains it: https://youtu.be/fNNWH2C-Muc

Debts_of_Despair

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2017, 07:14:45 AM »
I've put 20,000 miles on my aluminum Cannondale with no issues, and a friend has over 55,000 miles on his. I wouldn't worry about it.

Surely it is at the end of its fatigue life and failure is imminent!  J/K, I have four Al C-dales in different varieties, including one from 1985 and they are all going strong.

Hotstreak

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2017, 12:16:14 PM »

Personally I enjoy hybrid vs road bikes since I can sustain a more upright posture, which is a lot more comfortable for my neck and back.

There is no reason you can't get a road bike and ride on the flat part of the bar or hoods if you aren't comfortable riding the drops.  You have many options with drop bars that don't exist with a flat bar.  As your core muscles develop, you will probably find yourself riding the drops more often because there is much less wind resistance.

This video explains it: https://youtu.be/fNNWH2C-Muc

The benefit seems to be that the rider can go expend less energy and/or ride faster.  My usual commute is a windy public bike path + city traffic, and it's fairly short, so I'm not worried about shaving time or exerting myself slightly less.  The weekend rides are purely for fun and exercise, and with better aerodynamics I would simply need to ride longer or further in order to achieve the same level of aerobic stimulation.  Maybe they're a pleasure to ride, but I already enjoy riding, so I don't have any need to buy new parts to try and have more fun.  If I cared how many miles I rode, or needed to keep up during a group ride or perform in a race the money would make sense.  For now the raised flat bars and a ridiculously upright posture are well suited for my purposes.