Author Topic: Looking for a good course in money management in Los Angeles  (Read 2710 times)

woolfdop

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Hi There,

i am a new member here and would like to know if anyone can suggest a good course to be taken in the Los Angeles area on how to improve money management and changing one's mental outlook to money.

Thanks so much

Matthew

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
  • a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
Re: Looking for a good course in money management in Los Angeles
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 11:36:27 AM »
Start with a free crash course. Take some time to read through all of the blog posts. It is entertaining and quite enlightening. Welcome to the forum!

hernandz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 12:15:04 PM »
I'm sure you think you are being clear when you asked the question, but I'm going to ask more specifics anyway.

Which of these sounds more like you?  Two answers or a different answer is acceptable

I'm in a lot of debt, and I need to figure out how to crawl out of that hole.

I don't have much debt, but I never seem to have enough money for "the dream"

I don't have much debt, have a good job but my eyes glaze over when people start talking investments

I just came into an inheritance/settlement/other windfall and I'd like not to blow it

I'm a special case because....I'm female/male/transgender/unemployed/disabled/married/divorced/single/have special needs kids/supporting elderly parents or special needs relative/am a tradesperson/am in the military/civil servant/private practice professional/work two jobs/work a crazy schedule/am a minority/low-income background or family/actually have a trust fund/a gambler/an addict/whatever the hell special case I think I have.

I don't have any connection to LA, so I can't give you a specific recommendation, but if you can more clearly identify what you are needing, the forum can act as a greater double-check on what terms in a class description you should be searching for.

frugaliknowit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 02:39:14 PM »
You can learn a lot (though not courses) through these links:

If you don't have cable, just go to Suze Orman's Video Gallery (you used to be able to stream the complete show, but CNBC put an end to that:(  http://www.cnbc.com/id/100033415

Instead of listening to the entire Dave Ramsey show, you can just go to the calls:  http://www.daveramsey.com/askdave

If you go to DaveRamsey.com, you can take his Financial Peace University either on-line or in a class.  Warning:  There are some religious overtones which you can choose to ignore (he's an Evangelical Christian), however the wisdom far outweighs any other possible negatives.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 10:07:57 AM »
I'd recommend you start by checking out free online resources, rather than a local meatspace course.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!