Author Topic: Looking for a Bank/CU in NC  (Read 3705 times)

dantownehall

• Stubble
Looking for a Bank/CU in NC
« on: October 25, 2013, 01:43:46 PM »
Hi,

I just moved to North Carolina recently, and my bank doesn't exist here.  I was wondering if anyone out there had any suggestions for banks/credit unions in this state.  I mostly just need a checking account, any savings get invested in something that pays better than 0.2%.

Mostly I'd like:
-no fees
-pretty good ATM availability (or will refund fees from other banks' ATMS)
-it would be nice to not use a terrible, power hungry, destructive, insatiably greedy or otherwise generally douchey financial institution
-if they want to offer me money or another incentive to open an account, I won't say no :)

I'm in the Asheville area, if that matters.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,

-Dan

rusty

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • My Medigap Consultant
Re: Looking for a Bank/CU in NC
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 02:39:51 PM »
Dan,
if you can find a way to get with the State Employee's credit union, it's the best deal I have found.  You have to have a relative that is an state employee or former employee "vouch" for you, or that what the rule was about 9 years ago.

Check them out at www.ncsecu.org
Welcome to NC.
Rusty

jpo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 02:57:30 PM »
I use PNC and have been mostly happy enough since forever with them in Michigan, Ohio, and now the Triangle.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 06:27:36 PM »
Well, I closed my Wells Fargo account a month ago and haven't looked back. I now use Fidelity exclusively, with their free checking/brokerage combo. Free ATMs, and all the incentives that come with a mostly online bank. You can do everything online or on their mobile app (remote mobile check deposit, booyah!), and there is a branch in Raleigh for that one time when I need to go in, so usually once every never.

I have also heard excellent things about the State Employee's credit union and Coastal. If you plan on staying in NC, definitely try and get in there!

bogart

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 08:31:38 PM »
I'm with the one Rusty mentions and have found it unbeatable, but I don't think you can join unless you work for the state or are married to or the dependent child of someone who does (on the bright side, once you're in, you're in, so if that door ever opens for you, walk right through it.  I've never known a better or nicer place).  Another option that I've heard good things about is the self-help credit union (https://www.self-help.org/), which per the internet has an Asheville branch, and which is consistent with things a lot of folks value (helping people of limited resources improve their financial circumstances) as well as, I believe, being a good full-service CU.

HTH.  Welcome.

TheDude

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2013, 09:28:12 PM »
Its not really local unless you live in Chicago area. I highly recommend Alliant Credit Union. I live in Colorado and get by with the mobile app, shared branching (they don't advertise it but they do participate), and atms. My little company pays by check every other week and I deposit it right at my desk using my phone. The only time I got hit with a fee (other bank screwed me when I tried to pull) I questioned it and they returned half of it. All in all I would I love them.

dantownehall

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, 09:49:50 AM »
Thanks everyone!

My sister is actually a member of the SECU, don't know why I hadn't thought of it before.  I'm going to see if that can qualify me.

-Dan