Author Topic: Looking at move to Dallas-Fort Worth area -- suggestions on where to live  (Read 5809 times)

Unique User

• Pencil Stache
We're considering a move to DFW for a new job, but can live anywhere since I work from home and DH will either working from home or on the road.  There is a possibility he might have to go to the corporate office in Richland Hills/Haltom City area.  Any suggestions??  We'd prefer to be somewhat close to the airport and have a daughter in 8th grade so a good high school with lots of AP classes and a not too early start (we have a 7am start here, way too early) are very important.  We'll probably buy a house since we'll be there a minimum of four years as long as the mortgage is substantially less than rent (it is where we are now), I'd hope to keep the house price at or under $250k (if possible, I have no clue on real estate prices there).  We really like living nearby trails/open space and I like to take my dog on 3+ mile walks several times a week.  We'd also like somewhere that has a soul??  Hard to explain, but we live in St Charles County MO right now and the miles of vinyl siding and the sameness of everything is depressing.  Hope that is enough info.  Thanks for any suggestions!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 12:34:41 PM by Unique User »

Psychstache

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Looking at move to Dallas-Fort Worth area -- suggestions on where to live
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2014, 01:31:04 PM »
I think you will have trouble with finding 'a place with a soul' and a 'good high school' together. Most unique parts of the city are within Dallas ISD, and other than being accepted to the Booker T Washington Arts Magnet high school, you would be doing your daughter a great disservice.

I would check out Richardson. It's not a full blown generic divided suburb (close though), but had lots of family friendly amenities and a nice place overall.

If you would like more information about DFW area schools, feel free to PM me. I've been working in education in this city my entire adult life.

GizmoTX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2014, 04:43:39 PM »
How often will DH need to be at the corporate office or DFW airport? Richland Hills is essentially NE Fort Worth -- commuting from anywhere in the Dallas area will be too time consuming, IMO. I would target schools according to their rating in the areas north & north east-west from DFW & Richland Hills & go visit them, then rent for at least a year. Many families find themselves downsizing/moving after they become empty nesters. (We've lived in the far north Dallas area for 44 years & our only child is at university.)

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2014, 04:59:16 PM »

I no longer live there... but used to.  The good news is that $250k buys a lot of house. 

I spent most of my time in the northern suburbs: Richardson, Plano, Allen, Frisco, etc.  They are, as someone implied, "a little bit without a soul" ...  But the older neighborhoods can be very affordable.  (I sold a 2600ish sqft house in a nice neighborhood for about $150k in 2006.)  I am most familiar with Plano -- and while it is pretty vanilla... the city seems to be well run and well maintained. 

GizmoTX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2014, 05:02:30 PM »
Recent article about top high schools in Tarrant county:
http://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/education/article3855437.html

tracylayton

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2014, 07:30:04 PM »
Keller ISD is very close to Richland Hills and Haltom City, and Keller High School has very good ratings. There are 10 homes in the Keller High School district priced between $144,900 and $250,000. I am a real estate broker in the area, and can email those 10 to you for comparison's sake. Just send me a message with your email address, if you want to see them. That area is also close to DFW Airport. Another great high school is Martin High School in Arlington. It is close to Lake Arlington and a beautiful area.

GreatNateVIII

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2014, 09:53:00 PM »
Second the recommendation for Keller. By working in the Richland/Haltom area the Dallas suburbs will be too far of a commute. This is not a bad thing IMO as Fort Worth burbs are more affordable and are only about 45 minutes away from Dallas proper when you need a taste of the big city.

Affordability, safe areas, and good schools are a dime a dozen. Unfortunately most neighborhoods in the burbs will be cookie cutter developments that you are wanting to avoid. Looking for older neighborhoods that have been kept up will be your best bet. They are rare in DFW but do exist. Do yourself a favor and try to keep the commute under 15 miles. Dallas traffic is notoriously bad.

aschmidt2930

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2014, 10:12:06 PM »
Some good options thrown out already. I'd add Grapevine to your list, close to the airport, not too far from Richardson, and  its connection to the DART rail is growing quickly. You'll thank yourself if you pick a location near the DART rail, you can get around the city quickly and cheaply by avoiding the traffic. 

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2014, 05:28:23 AM »
This is an interesting thread to read, I'm about a month into living in DFW and going through a similar debate for housing.  Dallas has housing prices all over the place.  If you need to be within a quick driving distance to downtown Dallas or get the older neighborhood with character, housing seems like a fortune.  The 2,000sqft houses are being bought and torn down by builders putting monstrous houses on the lots.

To the Original Poster, be sure to look at the cost of renting verses buying if you're only here for four years.  Rent appears really high on the face, but remember you don't pay state income tax but instead pay that tax via property taxes.  I about fell over when I saw the $2,000+/mo rent for a house, but had to back into the savings I got moving from a income tax state.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2014, 07:35:44 AM »

To the Original Poster, be sure to look at the cost of renting verses buying if you're only here for four years.  Rent appears really high on the face, but remember you don't pay state income tax but instead pay that tax via property taxes.  I about fell over when I saw the $2,000+/mo rent for a house, but had to back into the savings I got moving from a income tax state.

Outside of apartments, I have never rented in Texas.  My anecdotal evidence found that the same house rented for more per month than buying around here.

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Eat. Sleep. Invest. Repeat.
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2014, 07:45:19 AM »
There's a lot of houses under $100k in Grand Prairie, right in the middle of DFW. They have a huge Parks and Rec department, including a dog park. I went to one of two high schools back in 2003-2007, and they've since added a 3rd high school for more advanced, career-oriented classes; my wife's youngest sister graduated from there and loved it. There were ample opportunities for AP credit. If you buy south of Main Street (which I'd recommend), it's about a 15 minute drive from the airport, 30 minutes from North Richland Hills (not sure where Haltom city is).

Unique User

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2014, 10:15:10 AM »
Wow - Lots of replies!  Thanks all, you've given me a ton of information to think about.  Thanks also to those that have offered to help.  Once it seems like he will get an offer to go, I will certainly PM those that have offered. 

ksaleh - Once we get closer to a decision I will absolutely PM you.  Thanks for the offer and the great information.  Amusingly Richardson is where DH lived when he was in Dallas for a few years in the 80s. 

GizmoTX - thanks for the link to the article, that is helpful information.  I think we'll probably take the advice of everyone and look at the Fort Worth suburbs, seems to make the most sense. 

Spork - glad to hear $250k buys a lot of house. 

frog girl - thank you so much for the offer and for the heads up on the high schools, I'll add those to my list.  I will definitely pm you when we get closer to making a decision. 

GreatNateVIII and aschmidt2930 - thanks for the suggestions, I love the idea of being near public transportation!

chasesfish -we'll be looking at the cost of renting versus buying, agree on property taxes.  We currently live in an area with cheap housing, but expensive rents.  The bonus is that when the company moves us they will pay realtor fees and closing costs on selling a house as well as closing costs and loan fees when buying a new house. 

Philociraptor - I'll add Grand Prairie to the list, thanks for the recommendation.  I can't even wrap my head around houses for under $100k, it just amazes me.  I think I've lived in high COL places (other than my current location) for too long. 

MustardTiger

• Stubble
I live in Hurst and work as a teacher in the HEB district.  Schools here are probably the best public schools in dfw that are also in affordable areas, and it is a short drive to NRH/Haltom City.

Here you could buy a nice 3bed house for <150k.