Author Topic: Look for a different job?  (Read 2483 times)

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
Look for a different job?
« on: March 09, 2016, 01:35:33 PM »
Job Situation: DH is underemployed working at national chain big box store. He started in September 2015 and was supposed to be in management training by December 2015. Current salary is $300 per week take home (would be $400 per week but $100/week goes to health insurance for the family). I am on a part time 6 month contract (up July 1; making $1600 per month) and do the child care. May have a small chance for an extension. We are in a LCOL area with a tight job market. Relocating in the next two years is not likely but after that we want out. He started management training this month and has interviewed for an open position. Hiring for that and the other open positions is on hold since all the upper management at the store just turned over. Management makes the same hourly wage but gets bonuses that they say add up to total salaries of $40-50k per year. Expenses, including debt repayment, average $2800-$3200 per month and overages are currently covered by an emergency fund.

Long term outlook: we have a start-up that is making a small profit and growing. We expect that it will continue to grow and take over paying us in the next 1-4 years. We strongly prefer not to relocate until this has grown some more. Pay should be mid 5-figures each based on very conservative estimates (other similar businesses pay low 6 figures and the market is good and showing growth).

Problem: Basically his pay is terrible and they are having difficulty keeping promises related to scheduling. Mainly they switch his hours around a lot despite repeated promises not to do so and this makes it difficult for me to set my hours for my contract. We need regular hours and some off days during the week to maximize his work on our business.

Question: Should he look for another position? After he had accepted this position, another job got back to him. It was sales and totally commission based but they said it averaged to ~$70k per year. The hours suck for family time (all weekend, every weekend) but they have 3 weekdays off. I think they still have openings (rumored to have trouble keeping people due to the weekend requirement). Apply? Wait this position out and hope for management?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 01:38:14 PM by Mongoose »

norabird

• Walrus Stache
Re: Look for a different job?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 01:39:02 PM »
I would apply for the other opportunity.

caracarn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 01:39:09 PM »
The difficulty is if that other job does not work out and you indicated you are in a tight job market.  He could get labeled as a job-hopper and it be more difficult to get something.  On the other hand it does not sound like you have stability where he is at.  If you feel good about the other job it might be worth the switch to stick it out until you are ready to relocate.

DebtFreeBy25

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2016, 07:10:36 PM »
I've worked as a sales manager, so I'm jumping in with a word of caution. The earning potential of almost all sales position is exaggerated. Some, particularly commission only jobs, are severely exaggerated. For example, after my mostly honest employer was taken over by their biggest competitor, I was told to present a total targeted compensation of ~$44k/year to sales candidates and to avoid stating that it was a commission only position. The reality is that compensation was a draw against commission, and many new reps struggled to earn enough to hold on to their jobs. Those who were successful in my market could expect to earn ~$25-30k. (FWIW, I refused to mislead my employees or potential employees and left the position soon after.)

If he hasn't done so already, I suggest that your husband read through the reviews on glassdoor.com. Are the weekend hours really the only problem? If the reviews check out and he can handle the weekends, then I'd suggest going for it. Sales positions are stressful but so is being underemployed.

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2016, 08:29:31 PM »
Thanks. Good to know about sales jobs. We'll stay put and hope for the best.