Author Topic: Long term car rental  (Read 2184 times)

LAGuy

• Bristles
Long term car rental
« on: December 31, 2016, 09:31:45 AM »
I need to rent a car for a few months in the San Francisco area. About the cheapest I can find from the mainstream companies is about $20 a day and I'm sure that doesn't include mileage. Any recommendations on how to get some wheels for cheaper? I'm fine with an old beater, but would rather not deal with buying and selling a car myself for just a few months.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Long term car rental
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 11:34:04 AM »
Are you going to have to park in the city? If so, you might find taxis/Uber cheaper, and less hassle.

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2016, 12:24:33 PM »
I used to live in the bay area and got around everywhere on my bicycle.  Is that
a possibility for you?  Driving and parking in SF is a bitch.

LAGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2016, 07:42:45 PM »
I'm not totally sure what the setup will be yet. It's a contract position at Stanford hospital. Housing is being provided but not exactly sure where yet. Yeah, my thought is to try and go without, but I'll probably need a car now and then. My father lives in Fairfield so may want to go out there a few weekends. I should have parking at my job and where I live at least.

dang1

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2016, 08:30:54 PM »
or/and Zipcar or similar? . also, trainstop in Fairfield

cchrissyy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2016, 08:47:48 PM »
agree with the above that you can probably get by without a car most of the time, and then use zipcar or uber or a daily rental on the occasions when you do need one.