Author Topic: My post-retirement 'work/service'...would like to hear your thoughts  (Read 3496 times)

Ladychips

• Handlebar Stache
I'm 5 1/2 years away from retiring.  And I've been thinking quite a bit about what I want to retire 'to'.  My thoughts are very soft and squishy, and I'm looking for input.  I'm not looking for 'the answer' as such, but I am asking you to share your thoughts and expertise to expand my own thinking on the matter.

These are the things I'm most interested in working toward:
   • Helping women and girls (I'm not opposed to men and boys; wouldn’t rule out something that helps them as well)
      ○ Particularly financial awareness/preparedness
      ○ Particularly career advice
      ○ Maybe education, particularly as a practical matter (choosing a major that leads to long term goals, student loan awareness, etc.)
      ○ And maybe just becoming self-aware (instead of floating along)

Random facts:
   • I live in  small town.  The reason I mention this is that national organizations often don't have a market here.  For example, I recently heard about Dress for Success.  Their mission is to empower women to achieve economic independence.  That rings all of my bells.  However, they only exist in large markets.  There isn't an opportunity to participate (in this official organization) from my home.
   • I don't want to work that hard.  The thought of starting my own non-profit overwhelms me.  I don't want to have to jump though all the hoops necessary to do that correctly.
   • I'm not great with kids.  I've thought about trying to do some kind of financial literacy education with high school kids…but I'm not that great with kids.
   • I believe in the kind of education in which people learn by doing. 
   • I have experience in designing online course work
   • I live in an environment where people generally do what is expected…get married young, have babies, go to church…

Random ideas
   • Build an online financial literacy class (that incorporates lots of activity)
   • Create a mentoring group at the local university for women students…or at the local high schools
   • Create a something that helps young women prepare for the workplace (a closet of interview clothes, resume assistance, interviewing practice, etc.)

Concerns
   • Although I am going to retire before 65 and I'll have plenty to live on, I'm not a shining example of early retirement or financial wizardry (little bit of imposter syndrome)
   • I'm not sure I'm mainstream enough to talk to the majority of women/girls in my area.  As I mentioned, I live in a small town in the bible belt.  I wasn't married before 23, I don't have kids, I've had a good career…these are not 'typical' in my neck of the woods. 

I guess my question is: what are your thoughts on how to best serve people (likely young people…likely female people) in the areas of financial well-being, professional well-being, and generally living a deliberate life?

Metta

• Pencil Stache
Re: My post-retirement 'work/service'...would like to hear your thoughts
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2016, 06:50:56 PM »
One of the things that I am thinking about doing with my freedom is to volunteer as an ESL tutor. I did this when I was in grad school and it was very rewarding. The people you work with are all adults and often have fascinating stories. The group you are volunteering with provides the materials and frequently the lesson plans.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2016, 08:31:54 PM »
Hi,

I don't know what country you live in, but the USA and the UK appear to do this.  I suspect Canada does, too.

Basically, city and county governments have citizen advisory committees and citizen boards of directors that regular folks like you and I can join.

An advisory committee gives advice to it's respective governmental department.  Typically this advice is not legally binding.
In my experience it is still welcome and paid attention to.

A board of directors has legally binding authority to make decisions.  It may be to approve or deny the issuance of contracts, to hire and fire the director of its respective governmental department.   It may be the authority to make zoning decisions, etc.

If you want to have a real input into what goes on in your community, consider applying for one of the available positions.

Here are two sites, one from my county and one from my city, that list the available positions.  Check your own town and county websites (or local official if your town doesn't have a website).

http://www.co.cumberland.nc.us/commissioners/board_info.aspx#top

http://fayettevillenc.gov/government/city-council/boards-and-commissions

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2016, 09:24:45 PM »
I would get to know people in your community and ask them. The last thing they probably want is an elite telling them how to be "empowered."

There may not be a local non profit that speaks to you directly but you can still volunteer there and talk to people about community needs.

And if there is a particular non profit you want to volunteer for, why not move to where they have branches?
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 09:44:26 AM by mozar »

FI@2022Jem

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2016, 09:46:14 PM »
I have a tentative plan to be a CASA (Court Appointed Special Advocate).  It's basically a legal advocate/ mentor for a foster child.  I'm a social worker now and know how amazing having a good CASA can be for a youth.  It meets some of your criteria... it's a national organization and there are foster kids all over the country including rural areas.  It's a great way to teach/support and advocate for an individual child and at least in my area there is a huge waitlist of kids waiting for CASA's.  I'll include the website for more details, but I believe there is a one year commitment but it's only a few hours every few weeks.

http://www.casaforchildren.org/

I'm interested in hearing others ideas as well!

frugaldrummer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2016, 11:26:25 AM »
One thing I would like to do when I retire is work with foster kids who have aged out of the system.  If you have a local college they may have some of these kids as students (I know you said you don't care for working with kids, but would college age be ok?).  Many of them are lacking in real life skills like budgeting, cooking, making wise financial decisions, etc - just think of all the basic things that kids have to learn to become successful adults, and they often have not had an example or the opportunity to learn them.

I also like your idea of an online course - seems like a way to reach out beyond your small town.

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2016, 04:57:25 PM »
I guess my question is: what are your thoughts on how to best serve people (likely young people…likely female people) in the areas of financial well-being, professional well-being, and generally living a deliberate life?

I would suggest you find a way to ask them, and not us.

I am in a similar situation, about a year and a half in. I've been doing library work at a very small town library and will start volunteering at the food bank next week. I have learned a lot about what my "target group" needs and is interested in, though this has changed a lot in the last year because of increased govt funding to them (this is Canada).

You might want to team up with someone more like the people you want to serve, and meet with people similar to the people you want to help. Ask at the farmers' market or social services agency about who would be good people to talk to. The most important thing is not stay in your head with this (or in our heads).

Good luck!

Ladychips

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2016, 06:17:29 PM »
Thank you all so much for your responses.

Frugaldrummer - I think your plans are really great.  How will you identify these foster kids?  Would you be willing to share more details on your plans?

Choppingwood - your comment about not living in my head made me chuckle...this post was my first attempt to get out of my head!!!

For any others who want to contribute your thoughts, please do....I have five (and a half) years to ponder and plan.