Author Topic: Location! Location! Location!  (Read 2169 times)

StacheinTX

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Location! Location! Location!
« on: November 16, 2014, 12:57:24 PM »
Hello everyone,
I plan on being FIRE soon but will be working for ten more years until I'm 40. That is when my daughter will graduate and be off to college. My question is whether or not I should stay in my current hometown? I live in Nowhere, TX on the border of where Texas becomes a desert. Needless to say it is a very ugly place. However the cost of living is very low and I have a large house (2300 sf) that I only paid $89,000 for 3 years ago. It needed updating but I am almost done and have spent very little updating it. I love the beach and would love to be closer to it but it would require buying a far more expensive house than I currently own. I don't want the bulk of my wealth tied up in my primary residence if I don't have to but I do dislike this area. What would ya'll do in the same situation? Is it worth being house wealthy and be in a good locale or have more money free to travel to places during the year for a month at a time (maybe 4 times per year)? Thanks for the advice!!

GizmoTX

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Location! Location! Location!
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 03:30:22 PM »
Can you work anywhere in TX? What kind of income?
What's keeping you in Nowhere besides the COL?
What's the market for your house? Is it paid off?

Rezdent

• Pencil Stache
Re: Location! Location! Location!
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 05:33:27 PM »
The bottom line for me is being happy for the long term.  If you are in BFE but you love it - less traffic, slower pace, good life...that matters.

If the small town life is slowly eating your soul and you constantly wish you were somewhere else...start looking for that somewhere else.
Texas is big.  Take your time and you'll find just the right spot for you.

For me, I love the beach and the beautiful grey-green warm water of the  Gulf of Mexico.  I have also been around long enough to have seen a couple of hurricanes and so I live a respectable distance away from the edge.