Author Topic: Local realtor robocalling do not call list  (Read 1239 times)

yachi

• Handlebar Stache
Local realtor robocalling do not call list
« on: May 26, 2021, 11:27:20 AM »
I hate robocalls, hang up calls and live calls that start with that 'bloop' sound.  They disrupt what I'm doing, stress me out when they come in while I'm driving (and can't check to see who's calling), and lead me to be short or grumpy answering the phone anytime a legitimate call comes in.

Today I get a missed call with "No Caller ID", and a message from a local realtor in my voicemail.  It's not a fishing scam, and everything checks out: the callback number is the one he lists on his website, he uses the same company name on the call that he has on the building, the realtor's name is the same one in the call and on the website.

But it's a recorded message, I've never done business with them, and I'm on the do not call list.  He's looking for people that want to sell their houses, but aren't working with anyone.  I reported it to the Do Not Call Registry.

What else should I do?

Visit his office and complain?
Call his cell phone at 2:00 am to complain?
Make an ethical complaint to the local Realtor's association?
Complain on our local neighborhood site so no one uses his services?
Egg his business (I pass right by in on the way to get groceries)?
Send him Glitter?
Complain on his Facebook account?
Complaint on his Youtube Channel?

I'm so used to robocalls coming from no name scam businesses that I don't know what to do when an otherwise-legitimate business uses illegitimate means.  For sure most of my annoyance is due to the large number of calls I can't do anything about.

GoCubsGo

• Bristles
Re: Local realtor robocalling do not call list
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2021, 12:41:44 PM »
Umm, don't deface a building that he most likely rents from and doesn't own.  You realize there are cameras everywhere right?

Saving in Austin

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2021, 12:56:29 PM »
File a class action lawsuit:

https://www.classaction.com/tcpa-robocalls/settlement/

Illegal robo calls can cost $ 16,000 per violation of the TCPA.

AccidentialMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2021, 01:46:15 PM »
When did a class action benefit anyone but the lawyers? I got $2.50 for the stupid cruise robospam settlement. Woohoo?

Save the recording and look up what you need from the CAN-SPAM act to drag the idiot into small claims court. $500 per call can be yours, without paying lawyers a dime.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2021, 03:07:11 PM »
Depending on your town, public shaming might be quite effective. You have a town facebook group? Nextdoor? Go ahead and post asking if other people are getting spam calls from the realtor.

yachi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2021, 08:51:41 AM »
We have a town nextdoor site at should ask in.  To clarify, it has only been one call from this realtor so far and I don't know that it will continue, but my phone receives a constant barrage of scams and robocalls, so my threshold for one more call is low.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2021, 09:15:23 AM »
Real estate is a reputation business, so I would threaten to hit them where it hurts, with online reviews about their unethical conduct.

Call the realtor up and give them a list of the websites and apps where you plan to post about what they are doing unless they immediately resolve the issue.

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2021, 10:32:48 AM »
Aside from egging his business you seem to have an appropriate escalation list for his calls.  I'd do the first now, i.e., complain to his office.  If you get another call do the next 2 things and so on.  If nothing else he'll take you off his list.  Or maybe he'll stop completely.  Nextdoor or similar neighborhood apps can be very effective for this kind of thing.

norajean

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2021, 11:20:43 AM »
Sell!  It's a great market!

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2021, 12:06:46 PM »
I don't answer. If they leave a message that's relevant to my life I call back, if not I erase the message.
It's better for my mental health to stay away from windmills and attempting to tilt them.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2021, 06:43:13 PM »
Some good advice here, but additionally, you should definitely mail him a bunch of glitter.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!