Author Topic: Local government contracting - how to navigate as a new business?  (Read 1681 times)

Alenzia

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Figuring that with the big variety of experience we have on this forum, someone may be able to give me advice. I'm trying to create a startup that would provide software for local governments for their outdoor type programs and even have some interest from a local city. What I'm struggling to figure out is what kinds of contracting options are realistic?

So far I've run into an option to create a proposal of work and they would have to create a request for bids, get a minimum number of bids and then find a company. Another option I heard of is an inter-government partnership through a university (sounds a bit like money laundering if not done right). What if we came to them with an "off-the-shelf" product instead of trying to offer them a contract to create something fully custom (they'd still essentially get something custom since they'd be our first customer)? Thanks in advance for any advice you have!

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
Re: Local government contracting - how to navigate as a new business?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2016, 10:59:38 AM »
I would talk to the city and see what types of contracts they accept. With our states it is very limited and they tell you exactly how it must be handled. It actually is common to go thru a university too. I have seen others do that. I did some contracting with our state. I had a friend open a LLC and the state refused to use it and told him how it would be done. 

Alenzia

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 04:13:21 PM »
Thanks, Cassie! Do you know how the logistics work when it's through a university? Does the university get the contract and subcontract the company? Does the company a university staff/professor as part of the company?

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 04:26:22 PM »
Right now I contract directly with a university and they draw up the contract and I sign it. It renews each semester after it is signed.  I have done it for 4 years but they don't have to renew.