Author Topic: Loan to Parent for dentures?  (Read 5583 times)

onecoolcat

• Pencil Stache
Loan to Parent for dentures?
« on: December 19, 2015, 09:46:07 AM »
My dad was injured on the job and has been on workman's comp for the past two years.  He's broke but will get a settlement from workman's comp hopefully in 2016 after his surgeries are complete and he has a disability rating.  He will be on disability and get medicade or medicare after that.  His teeth are in really bad shape, they are rotting out from what he says is nerve damage from his on-the-job accident.  He needs to have them all pulled and get dentures and I think it will make him happier and more outgoing (maybe get him to get back in the dating pool).  Do you think its fine to offer to front the dental costs (he has no insurance) and ask him to pay me back when he gets his settlement?  How much would something like this cost?  I'm a pretty giving person when it comes to family so it wouldn't effect the relationship if hes unable to pay me back.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 09:48:18 AM by OneCoolCat »

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
Loan to Parent for dentures?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2015, 10:30:44 AM »
Dental work is expensive, more so if he does not have dental insurance. I would budget about $1500-$2000 (possibly on the high end, but I like to be prepared) for dentures and the rate my dentist charges for a tooth pulling - one, singular tooth - w/o insurance is about $150.

I do not know if there is a "discount" for having multiple teeth pulled at once. You may be able to go to a dental school where the work is cheaper.

I think you have answered your own question. You don't care if he pays you back and you think it will help him ... So the answer is yes?

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
Re: Loan to Parent for dentures?
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2015, 10:36:38 AM »
My grandma had the really nice custom kind. Google says these can cost up to 10k.

But she could eat anything, and her teeth looked real.

Google says cheap ones might be 2k.

Bucksandreds

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2015, 07:54:58 PM »
At his income (or lack thereof) wouldn't he qualify for Medicaid? I would think that he's the type of person who Medicaid was meant for. Low to no income due to surgeries/disability preventing work.  He should be able to get his teeth pulled and dentures on credit offered at the dentist office.  That is unless he has terrible credit.  First I would pursue Medicaid.

iamlindoro

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Earth Awaits
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2015, 08:07:51 PM »
Once you evaluate what your costs are domestically, my strong advice is to give consideration to seeking out reputable dental clinics abroad.  I recently started treatment for a couple of dental implants (plus a root canal and various neglected cavities needing fillings) I need in Thailand, at a clinic that caters to about 90% foreigners (and the rest wealthy locals).  All told, the estimated cost to get the work done in the US was going to be between $15-20K.  The cost to have it handled in three trips to Thailand, including flight costs from the west coast, hotels, and food, is looking like it will be about $7.5K.  While I was pricing that, I was looking at options for my fiance's dad, who is in a very similar situation to your dad.  My quick numbers suggested that for what he would pay in the US, he could have an all-on-four or all-on-six implant dentures done over there, including all his travel costs.  This would be a permanently installed fixture, rather than the archaic dentures.  Alternately, he/you could just save a huge amount on traditional dentures.

Just something to think about.  I am working on a series of posts about this (blog link in my signature, it's a subheading under "Thrifty Travel") and have chronicled my experience so far, but it has been extremely good.  The biggest reason aside from the huge savings is that the kindness and high level of compassion I experienced was just what I needed after a lifetime of judgmental and unhelpful dentists in the US.  I am very fearful about the dentist and know well how it is to have your confidence and wallet challenged by dental issues.  If you have any questions at all about this kind of thing or my experience, please feel free to PM me.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 08:11:50 PM by iamlindoro »

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2015, 10:50:00 PM »
My grandma had the really nice custom kind. Google says these can cost up to 10k.

But she could eat anything, and her teeth looked real.

Google says cheap ones might be 2k.

Your grandmother probably had a full dental bridge put in - those are very expensive. To echo what iamlindoro said, my dad had a lot of pricey dental work done in India for about $1k (in addition to a plan ticket of ~$1000, depends what time of year you go). I think the quote was about $6-$7k here, with insurance. I would say a good 60% of his mouth is bridges alongside his few remaining real teeth.

onecoolcat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2015, 06:18:04 AM »
At his income (or lack thereof) wouldn't he qualify for Medicaid? I would think that he's the type of person who Medicaid was meant for. Low to no income due to surgeries/disability preventing work.  He should be able to get his teeth pulled and dentures on credit offered at the dentist office.  That is unless he has terrible credit.  First I would pursue Medicaid.

He tells me he is not eligible for medicaid or disability because his workmans comp case is still pending.  Something about how he needs to get a disability rating through workmans comp before he can get disability.  Because he is not working he is not eligible for subsidized Obamacare.  His Obamacare quote was $400 a month and he simple cannot afford that with the workmans comp checks he received biweekly.

onecoolcat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2015, 06:23:51 AM »
Once you evaluate what your costs are domestically, my strong advice is to give consideration to seeking out reputable dental clinics abroad.  I recently started treatment for a couple of dental implants (plus a root canal and various neglected cavities needing fillings) I need in Thailand, at a clinic that caters to about 90% foreigners (and the rest wealthy locals).  All told, the estimated cost to get the work done in the US was going to be between $15-20K.  The cost to have it handled in three trips to Thailand, including flight costs from the west coast, hotels, and food, is looking like it will be about $7.5K.  While I was pricing that, I was looking at options for my fiance's dad, who is in a very similar situation to your dad.  My quick numbers suggested that for what he would pay in the US, he could have an all-on-four or all-on-six implant dentures done over there, including all his travel costs.  This would be a permanently installed fixture, rather than the archaic dentures.  Alternately, he/you could just save a huge amount on traditional dentures.

Just something to think about.  I am working on a series of posts about this (blog link in my signature, it's a subheading under "Thrifty Travel") and have chronicled my experience so far, but it has been extremely good.  The biggest reason aside from the huge savings is that the kindness and high level of compassion I experienced was just what I needed after a lifetime of judgmental and unhelpful dentists in the US.  I am very fearful about the dentist and know well how it is to have your confidence and wallet challenged by dental issues.  If you have any questions at all about this kind of thing or my experience, please feel free to PM me.

This is a great idea and your post is very insightful, thank you.  I spoke with my dad about fronting the cost and he turned it down.  He is weird about not accepting help from anyone, especially his kids.  I think he is also really scarred about actually going to a dentist as well so it will be hard convincing him to just go.  I like the international thing but he's never been out of the USA aside from the Bahamas so it may be hard to get him to travel as well.  I will keep this in mind for sure though.

iamlindoro

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Earth Awaits
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2015, 08:04:35 AM »
This is a great idea and your post is very insightful, thank you.  I spoke with my dad about fronting the cost and he turned it down.  He is weird about not accepting help from anyone, especially his kids.  I think he is also really scarred about actually going to a dentist as well so it will be hard convincing him to just go.  I like the international thing but he's never been out of the USA aside from the Bahamas so it may be hard to get him to travel as well.  I will keep this in mind for sure though.

I totally get it, we have the same situation with my fiancée's dad. We want to get him help, he can't afford it here, but we can't convince him to travel. It's really hard. My best wishes to your dad and crossing my fingers that he will find a way to regain his confidence and health.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2015, 10:25:52 AM »
I have recently had some teeth removed.  If you are willing to pay for it, you can be completely anesthetized.  There is definitely a discount if you have more than one done. 

onecoolcat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2015, 11:51:08 AM »

I totally get it, we have the same situation with my fiancée's dad. We want to get him help, he can't afford it here, but we can't convince him to travel. It's really hard. My best wishes to your dad and crossing my fingers that he will find a way to regain his confidence and health.

He called me this morning and I told him about your suggestion and he was surprisingly entertaining going to Asia to get the work done but he still doesn't want me to pay for it.  He's worried he wont have enough to pay me back so I told him I wouldn't hold it against him because its something that really needs to get done to regain his confidence.  I told him to think about it.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2015, 12:59:38 PM »
Rotten teeth also negatively impact on your health and can cause heart disease among other problems. On the west coast it costs $10,00 for teeth pulling and dentures. If you want a permanent denture that never comes out it costs $30,000 for either the top or bottom. 

Bucksandreds

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2015, 06:23:43 PM »

He tells me he is not eligible for medicaid or disability because his workmans comp case is still pending.  Something about how he needs to get a disability rating through workmans comp before he can get disability.  Because he is not working he is not eligible for subsidized Obamacare.  His Obamacare quote was $400 a month and he simple cannot afford that with the workmans comp checks he received biweekly.

You must be in a state that didn't expand Medicaid.  In Ohio anyone who makes less than about 1 and 1/2 to 2 times poverty level qualifies.  I'd call myself if I were you as he sounds confused.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2015, 07:34:41 AM »
Dental work is expensive, more so if he does not have dental insurance. I would budget about $1500-$2000 (possibly on the high end, but I like to be prepared) for dentures and the rate my dentist charges for a tooth pulling - one, singular tooth - w/o insurance is about $150.

I do not know if there is a "discount" for having multiple teeth pulled at once. You may be able to go to a dental school where the work is cheaper.

I think you have answered your own question. You don't care if he pays you back and you think it will help him ... So the answer is yes?

My mom just had a complete set done. No dental insurance. I think the total bill was around 8K. I'd budget 8k-10k for this.

unno2002

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2015, 06:19:14 PM »
Loan to parent for dentures?  My opinion, given the amount parent spent on us, and the interest they could have earned, I paid for what my mom needed. 

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2015, 07:14:47 PM »
Unno, OP said that he was certainly willing to pay it in full; it appears he is just couching it as a loan to get dad to agree.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!