Author Topic: Lizard in the House  (Read 1933 times)

TrMama

Lizard in the House
« on: August 06, 2020, 10:05:59 PM »
Ewwwww! How do I get rid of it?

A tiny baby lizard ran into the house when I was walking through the patio door this afternoon. It's so tiny it hid in a little crack between the floor and baseboard before I could stop it. I can't see it in the crack anymore and I think it's wedged itself somewhere behind the baseboard or under the floorboards.

If I don't get it out, will it smell when it dies? It's a tiny, baby European wall lizard. They're super fast (which is how it got in in the first place) and I think if I remove the baseboard, it'll just run into some other crack.

Help!

How do I keep any more from getting in the house? They're an invasive species here and there are a ton of them in the backyard.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Lizard in the House
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2020, 05:52:48 AM »
I know exactly nothing about lizards, but if they're all over your area, have you asked your neighbours if they have ever dealt with this?

I would imagine a sticky mouse trap might work?

KungfuRabbit

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2020, 07:01:31 AM »
Borrow a cat for a few days, don't feed it :)

Cpa Cat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2020, 07:55:36 AM »
It won’t smell. It’s too small and there isn’t a lot of moisture in it’s body, so it will likely desiccate rather than rot.

Just think if all the bugs that die in your house without you even knowing it. They don’t smell either.

FLBiker

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chop Wood Carry FIRE
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2020, 08:05:00 AM »
Lizards can be startling, but other than that I've never had any trouble from them.  They don't smell when they die.  We had them in Tampa, and they sometimes got into the house (mostly geckos).  They were too fast (for me) to catch and I didn't want to kill them, so we just left them be.  Plus, I think they eat cockroaches (which we also had in Tampa).  So I wouldn't worry about it, if you're able to.

mrsnamemustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2020, 08:14:20 AM »
We have tons of lizards around our house (FL) and once in a while a little one gets in (maybe 2-3 times over 2.5 years?). I think we just leave them alone and don't have any problems. But if it is possible to catch and release outside that seems like a nice option. I wouldn't assume you will get overrun by them, based on our experience.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2020, 09:07:59 AM »
Another Florida person here. We get geckos in the house regularly. If you can catch them under a bowl and slide a piece of paper between the bowl and the wall you can usually get them out of the house. If you don't have pets, leaving a bowl of water near where you think it is may draw it out. If you do have pets... there will be an extra snack this week.

TrMama

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2020, 09:28:16 AM »
Thanks guys. I'm a little calmer about it this morning, which is good because I can't see it anywhere. If it won't smell or do anything else gross I guess we just have a new roommate. I called my mom in a panic last night and she just laughed at me. It wasn't helpful :-P

FTR we live in Canada. We're not supposed to have tropical problems like lizards in the house! Between that and the giant spider that tried to join me in the shower earlier this week I'm officially ready for winter.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2020, 10:09:42 AM »
Well, just leave the lizard and you won't have to worry about spiders!

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2020, 01:31:45 PM »
Thanks guys. I'm a little calmer about it this morning, which is good because I can't see it anywhere. If it won't smell or do anything else gross I guess we just have a new roommate. I called my mom in a panic last night and she just laughed at me. It wasn't helpful :-P

FTR we live in Canada. We're not supposed to have tropical problems like lizards in the house! Between that and the giant spider that tried to join me in the shower earlier this week I'm officially ready for winter.

Wait what???

Where are you in Canada that you have tropical lizards all over your backyard??? I had no idea this was a thing!

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2020, 06:48:57 PM »
You have a small, roving bug catcher. Why would you want to get rid of it? It's basically one of the robovacs but for bugs, and FREE!

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2020, 03:11:54 PM »

A tiny baby lizard ran into the house when I was walking through the patio door this afternoon. It's so tiny it hid in a little crack between the floor and baseboard before I could stop it. I can't see it in the crack anymore and I think it's wedged itself somewhere behind the baseboard or under the floorboards.

If I don't get it out, will it smell when it dies? It's a tiny, baby European wall lizard. They're super fast (which is how it got in in the first place) and I think if I remove the baseboard, it'll just run into some other crack.

Help!

How do I keep any more from getting in the house? They're an invasive species here and there are a ton of them in the backyard.

Sometimes lizards enter my house when I open the door.

I don't know why they stay close to the door.

Do they do it because they want to enter the house?

IDK.

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2020, 03:17:58 PM »

When I opened the door at night a bat flew into my house.

This happened twice.

Small scorpions get into my house too.

A friend told me: "They burn hot."

He was correct.

I've been stung  twice.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 03:21:19 PM by John Galt incarnate! »

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2020, 07:42:58 PM »

Help!

Sometimes lizards enter my house when I open the door.

I don't know why they stay close to the door.

Do they do it because they want to enter the house?

IDK.

They hang out anywhere that has cracks of light around it at night, because that attracts bugs. Windows and doors are the waterholes of the lizard world.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!