Author Topic: Living in Playa Del Carmen for 3 months  (Read 3698 times)

webguy

• Bristles
Living in Playa Del Carmen for 3 months
« on: May 05, 2014, 08:42:58 PM »
I was just wondering whether anyone here had spent any time living in or travelling to Playa Del Carmen in Mexico? My wife and I are planning to stay there for 3 months early next year (end of Jan - end of Apr) and are trying to put together a budget to live like locals for 3 months. We've been there before for a week but stayed in a resort (before becoming mustachian) and so didn't really have the usual everyday expenses of local life.

This time we plan to stay in an apartment and are wondering whether it would be better to stay right in the heart of Playa, which would provide far easier walking access to local amenities (about $950 USD/month), or whether we should stay a couple of miles out of the hustle and bustle of the center in a quieter spot which is cheaper but not quite as convenient in regards to getting around (about $700 USD/month). Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Both would be just a few blocks from the beach - which is where I'm hoping we'll be spending most of our time!!

tmac

• Bristles
Re: Living in Playa Del Carmen for 3 months
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 05:59:03 AM »
Just bookmarking this in case someone gives any good advice. I love it there.

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 06:47:22 AM »
I'm a huge fan of that part of the world, particularly Cozumel.  Playa is very cool also.  I'd save the $250 a month and live a bit further out.  Bike around as much as you can, and use the monthly savings to rent a car/scooter to travel longer distances when the need arises. 

Please keep us posted as to how this goes for you!  I have similar plans for when I retire (i.e., spending 3 or more months a year in Cozumel).

mrsggrowsveg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 08:44:14 AM »
Some of my in-laws are in the area and we visit often.  There are many inexpensive options in the Playa area, but we have fallen in love with an area a little further away called Akumal.  It is close to Tulum and has wonderful quiet beaches with great snorkeling.  The heart of Playa is also a great place to stay.  There would be no need to drive anywhere.  You could walk to the beach or to many restaurants.

oceanbreeze

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 08:14:26 PM »
The public buses in that area are great and cheap. We loved tulum area

webguy

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 08:47:10 AM »
Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll be working from my laptop an hour or two a day to keep my business running but the rest of the time will hopefully be relaxing and exploring the area and will definitely check out some of the places you recommended.

Has anyone rented around the area before and know how much electricity usually costs per month? Most apartment rents state that they don't include electricity (mostly as I'm guessing some people would abuse it and run the AC all day).

We're hoping to prepare food in our apartment most days and eat out just a couple times a week at some local places. Does anyone know how much groceries and fresh produce costs in Playa?

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2014, 10:42:44 AM »
I like Playa del Carmen for the beach lifestyle, but if I were to spend more than a few weeks in the area, I'd personally look at Merida and the surrounding area. You might want to check it out as well, and browse this website (among others) for real estate and holiday rentals, and even ask question to the realtor about various living costs.

http://www.tierrayucatan.com/page/en